Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best 10 round 1911 .45 mags?

Several hundred failure-free rounds thru the Tripp 10 in both my Government and my Defender - which, due to it's light weight and therefore sharp recoil, tends to magnify mag problems, no other 10-rounders will run in it. I'm not saying the Tripp 10 is life and death reliable, but it's game-reliable so far in my opinion.

I'm a fan of the Tripp 9 round conversion for the McCormick's but then I've become a fan of all things Tripp over the years.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I'd imagine they're pretty good, I tried one, but being one round short messes me up in this particaular gun-game, since it's kinda set up for 10 rounders.

Guy I shoot with in our smal local comp went to a big comp and there were a lot of 1911s. He estimated 60% were Trippin'. Just food for thought. Maybe just a local trend or maybe they're finding what works.

Had a couple problems with the Tripp nosediving. Variety of bullets, but the worst (of course) is a Rainier 185 plated HP. So far, Wilson is the winner for reliability in my guns, with CMC 10 running a close second. I think the start of this thread was one night at comp, I had a lot of problems with the CMCs, but never could dumplicate it, chalked it up to ammo.

Tripp quit locking back and wasn't dropping free. One feed lip was dented towards the front and the mag body and follwer had collected a bunch of sticky crud from lead reloads. Cleaned and fixed it, but doesn't seem to be a problem with the other mags, their followers seem to scrape out instead of collecting crud.

Quote Originally Posted by DWB View Post
    Tripp quit locking back and wasn't dropping free. One feed lip was dented towards the front and the mag body and follwer had collected a bunch of sticky crud from lead reloads. Cleaned and fixed it, but doesn't seem to be a problem with the other mags, their followers seem to scrape out instead of collecting crud.
    If this becomes a repetitive problem give Tripp a call. Their customer service is the best in the biz IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mark olindale View Post
    If this becomes a repetitive problem give Tripp a call. Their customer service is the best in the biz IMO.
    Thanks, I called and emailed them back when I was having nosedive problems and didn't hear back. That was around the time they had the fire though. I the problem was abuse = bent - and neglect = crud buildup. It works well now.

DWB,

thanks for posting your research/findings. I just ordered four Tripp 10 rounders (.45).

My kimber was having issues with feeding the last round in the magazine with my three Wilson ETM's. Tripp's super 7 kit fixed that problem, and their 8 round magazine seems to work great.

I hope I'm wrong, but I would have ordered 1 first to try it and see if your gun likes them. Though a good smith will say any quality gun should run with any quality magazine.

User Tag List