Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best 10 round 1911 .45 mags?

good call; unfortunately the magazines are already on their way to me. I guess I was too overconfident from my experience with thier 8 round mag & upgrade kits...to think about ordering just one 10 rounder to try out.

what i'll do is run a single mag first to see if there are any issues. that way, in worst case scenario the other three remain unused for an attempt at a return with Tripp or I can try to re-sale.

had a good test session today with the tripp 10 round magazines. out of about 75 rounds, i did have one premature slide lock though, but the magazine is not at fault. there is a well known kimber slide stop issue, the problem has been alot better as i slowly started to take away material where there are copper markings on the locking lobe.
    i also have the bad habit of resting my support thumb on the slide lock. will inspect more closely at home tonight with the slide off.

Long term report. Chips have been the most durable, reliable, odd ammo tolerant, and required the least maintenance.

Longer term report. Still the same report.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I appreciate your update. Any chance of a rough estimate of total round count per mag?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Gotta go home and count the empty primer sleeves under my reloading bench. :-D

Without making you crawl around...would an average mag have seen 200 rounds? A thousand rounds?

Just trying to get a feel for how long a few cmc 10s would last me.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

I'm interested in the methodology as well. Chips have been the best, what sample size? What were you comparing it to? What sample size of each? How many rounds (about) through each? Was the failure commonly due to dirt tolerance?

Counted primer sleeves, 14,000 rounds. Almost all of them on 7 CMCs. I had 3 at first, then bought a couple more, and then a couple more. They are numbered and I rotate through all of them, so the first ones have considerably more rounds on them....but divided equally, that's 2,000 rds per mag. Have never had to change a spring. (Maybe I should as PM)
    Mostly 200gr bullets@ major but also 230s at factory, 152SWCs, etc.

I shoot twice a month indoors, ~50 rds per match, once per mo outdoors most of the year, ~100 rds per match. Plus practice and general shooting.

The Wilson was/is reliable but requires cleaning and I'm sure the follower would wear out if I used it a lot. Same with the Tripp, except it nosedives with short bullets. It does have the best round retention. The CMCs I just shake/blow out/wipe off. They get dropped on dirt and concrete, sometimes with about 4 rds in them.

I think the issues I had with the CMCs early in the thread were me/gun=extractor issue. I have had no issues with them in a long time. I run them in an old well worn and considerably smoothed up Series 70.

Thanks for the info...200+ mag cycles is plenty for me to consider them a worthwhile purchase.

User Tag List