Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 10 round 1911 .45 mags?

Best 10 round 1911 .45 mags?

I've had a Wilson and 3 CMCs quite a few months now. I shoot an indoor competition twice monthly. No trouble with the Wilson, tonight tons with the CMCs. I may try changing springs and followers, but I'm about done with them. I think I'm going to try Tripp, anxious for CheckMate to come out with their 10s. Anyone have any input for reliable 10s?

Thanks!

Being a die hard 1911 fan, for both shits and grins, as well as serious duty use, I can say without a doubt, the hands down, absolute best 10 round .45 ACP 1911 rounds are the Wilson 8 rounders loaded with 7 rounds.

Seriously.........there is not one magazine over 8 rounds that I would trust. And I download those to 7, or rather, I do not top them off when I load the pistol. As with all things handgun, it is a compromise and a consideration we have to make when selecting the 1911.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Being a die hard 1911 fan, for both shits and grins, as well as serious duty use, I can say without a doubt, the hands down, absolute best 10 round .45 ACP 1911 rounds are the Wilson 8 rounders loaded with 7 rounds.

... And I download those to 7, or rather, I do not top them off when I load the pistol.
    100% agreement.

I'll add that, if you just gotta have a long stick for some gun game or another, the 10-rounders are the only place where I'll recommend the CMC product over the equivalent Wilson offering, as the McCormick mag has that big wraparound bumper on the bottom while the Wilson "Bureaucrat" uses that idiotic little tack-welded tab as an overtravel stop. I have twice seen guns where the mag was slapped vigorously home during a slide-lock reload, ran past the mag catch, and that little tab popped off, allowing the mag to be jammed up into the feedway proper, tying up the gun pretty comprehensively and buggering up the extended ejector in the process.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    if you just gotta have a long stick for some gun game or another, the 10-rounders are the only place where I'll recommend the CMC product over the equivalent Wilson offering.
    100% agree. My CMC 10-rounders have performed better on a speed re-load than the Wilson Bureaucrat.

My experience using a few different 10 round magazines (Wilson, CMC, McGar, Tripp) I found the Tripp magazines to be the most reliable followed by the Wilsons.
    Chemist.

Thanks for the input, all.

I hope willow is right, ordered a Tripp to try and some spring and follwers to try in my CMCs.

I like the CMC rubber ducky thing, good for grabbing, grip, dropping mag on concrete, but reliability was terrible, I'm not sure what the problem was last night, couldn't diagnose at the time, bolt over base, round retention failure, fail to feed, or a combination. Wilson 10 and CMC 8 (sent to me by mistake) ran fine. Will try to get out and fool with it in the next couple days. Springs seem weak, don't like the floppy, no dimple followers, wadcutter feed lips....someone somewhere suggested putting a couple dummy rounds under your mag spring and see if that improves it - simulates a stronger spring.

I s'pose I could just get faster at reloading and use smaller mags...but I would have to be really fast to keep up in this game. Automated indoor range setup, shoot now, hit the target before it's gone or you score a big fat 0...which I did much of last night.

One bright spot...the other 2 guys were shooting Glocks and had almost as much trouble as I, and they don't normally. Woulda been worse being the only failure...ha!

When shooting L10 with a single stack gun, I'd exclusively use the McCormick 10 round mags. They just tend to work better than the Wilson 10 round mags for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Huh, my experience has been exactly opposite...gotta do some troubleshooting.

I shot 1911's from 1986-2011; I never discovered a 10 rd magazine that was fully reliable. Strangely, the most reliable tended to be 7rd GI style mags. The Wilson 7 & 8 rd mags are nice, because as soon as they go bad (which they tended to do within a year or so of heavy use), Wilson replaced them...

I am now around a lot of 10 rd M&P45 mags, which so far have been 100% reliable.

I'm really hoping CheckMate gets their 10s into production soon...choice of followers, feed lips, springs...

User Tag List