Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Overnight pistol position?

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by VW.45 View Post
    I only specified that it was a mod.2 because they are a little thinner than an xd. Figured I would be specific on a gun forum, full of gun guys, jeesh. And yes, the "GRIP ZONE" on the side is retarded, if I had an easy way to remove it I would.
    Sorry to shit on your gun. No offense intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Sorry to shit on your gun. No offense intended.

No permanent offense taken. I will say I was surprised by the pile on. I was being as specific as possible, so people wouldn't do the normal follow up questions, if I had just said 2 fullsize .45 autos. Still not sure how I got grouped in with that douchebag though. A mod.2 has all of the styling of a brick, lol, and that's why I like them for carry guns. Not too pretty to worry about fucking them up, but still utilitarian and usefull. Guy looks like he would carry a pink .22.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I feel like Guy Fieri probably has an XD Mod. 2 - I have nothing to back this up but it feels right in my bones

I had to google search that name to find out who you were talking about.
    He looks like a dandy.
    That said, I find it mildly disturbing that a grown man would actually know this guy well enough to have him come to mind in a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I had to google search that name to find out who you were talking about.
    He looks like a dandy.
    That said, I find it mildly disturbing that a grown man would actually know this guy well enough to have him come to mind in a conversation.
    He takes his fashion cues from Johnny Depp but no where near as entertaining. My wife watches his show, you ain't missing anything.

Vending Machine Operator
    No permanent offense taken. I will say I was surprised by the pile on. I was being as specific as possible, so people wouldn't do the normal follow up questions, if I had just said 2 fullsize .45 autos. Still not sure how I got grouped in with that douchebag though. A mod.2 has all of the styling of a brick, lol, and that's why I like them for carry guns. Not too pretty to worry about fucking them up, but still utilitarian and usefull. Guy looks like he would carry a pink .22.
    One of my great shames is that I've wanted an XD-9 stainless for years but I'd lose all my gun snob credibility. I was projecting.

Full size 9 in a fanny pack, along w/ a spare mag & flashlight. Fanny pack rests in the nightstand. I figure that way I'm good whether I can reach my pants or not. If I'm at home there's a 1301 in a rack between my pillow & my nightstand.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've never understood emptying your pants pockets every night. Everything is in there all the time.

Just one crazy explanation: Maybe some guys (?) empty their pants pockets because they put on a different, clean pair - in the A.M.?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Massad Ayoob once wrote that home defense shotguns should be stored chamber loaded. The intimidating sound of the action being racked really did nothing but serve to inform the bad guy that he was dealing with someone so stupid, it just occurred to him that he needed a loaded gun. I'm sure that was a bit tongue in cheek, but I agree with the principle.
    I'd have a hard time agreeing with Mas on the shotgun thing. The safety on a shotgun is only a trigger block (unless you're rocking a Saiga), rather than a sear block &/or firing pin block like most rifles & handguns. A chambered shotshell is only an iffy sear engagement & a decent bump from a loud explosion. I don't keep the chamber clear for intimidation purposes, but rather against any mechanical failure when it isn't in my hands & under my direct control. As soon as the shotgun comes out of the rack in my hands, the round goes into the chamber right then. Just my opinion, but I don't want to risk it in case someone knocks a shotgun over in the house. I'm not some Israeli carry goofball, but I think the the shotgun alone, deserves consideration of the manual safety deficit it suffers from.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-17-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I'd have a hard time agreeing with Mas on the shotgun thing. The safety on a shotgun is only a trigger block (unless you're rocking a Saiga), rather than a sear block &/or firing pin block like most rifles & handguns. A chambered shotshell is only an iffy sear engagement & a decent bump from a loud explosion. I don't keep the chamber clear for intimidation purposes, but rather against any mechanical failure when it isn't in my hands & under my direct control. As soon as the shotgun comes out of the rack in my hands, the round goes into the chamber right then. Just my opinion, but I don't want to risk it in case someone knocks a shotgun over in the house. I'm not some Israeli carry goofball, but I think the the shotgun alone, deserves consideration of the manual safety deficit it suffers from.
    I agree. I don't buy into the "racking sounds are intimidating" thing at all, but I DO buy into the "super light triggers and nerve-wracking middle-of-the-night scenarios can be a bad combo" thing.

He takes his fashion cues from Johnny Depp but no where near as entertaining. My wife watches his show, you ain't missing anything.
    Unless it is on netflix or amazon vids, odds are I am not going to watch it. We actually ditched cable TV a few years back. Nobody was watching enough TV to justify the expense. We are kind of an outdoorsy family, so TV is way down the list of "stuff to do". That said, whenever we do a "family evening" that revolves around movies, it is a tradition that we watch my oldest daughter's favorite actor, John Wane. I can't tell you how many times we have watched El Dorado, Rio Bravo, and McClintock. It is to the point that daughter # 1 speaks the lines, during key parts.

Pop popcorn, and watch the Duke.

It is no wonder she has turned out like she has.

User Tag List