Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Overnight pistol position?

Site Supporter
    Enough of pants pockets.

My P320 C (.45) - lies on my "reading chair," underneath a small pillow and is within an arm's length. It has TRUGLO TFX PRO sights. Right beside it is another mag. The pistol and the backup mag are loaded with 9 rounds (1 more in the chamber) of Federal HST/230g. About 6' away, hanging on a hook just inside my closet, is an SDVE40, loaded with 15 (1 more in the chamber) rounds of Federal HST/180g. With the SIG, there is a Streamlight Polytac. Another sits on my dresser with my Benchmade Gryptilian. There are 3 more flashlights in various spots.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For many years, especially when traveling, I would place my pistol on or near the bed stand. Four or five years ago, DocGKR passed on the advice he has received from an FBI buddy -- leave the pistol near you, in its holster, on the pants you wearing when you went to bed. All your other stuff in the pants, too, like light, knife, wallet, car keys, etc. Made perfect sense to me, and my wife and I have done this ever since.

This morning, I woke up after not enough sleep, and watched some of the alternate news, namely CNN, to observe their angst at the night's developments. My wife headed on foot, from our hotel room to a nearby Starbucks. As she arrived, the police were speaking with a squirrelly looking guy. She ordered our stuff, and then noticed the police left, to which the person working at Starbucks said "oh, crap." She tried to get out the side door, when the guy focused in her, started approaching, and yelled "Josh, give me my son back." She replied she wasn't Josh and kept moving. Then she called me and said I have a crazy guy, get over here. I was able to hop up, throw my pants on as it was all rigged, even with the Ares belt lightly buckled, throw on the Salomons without touching laces, jacket on and hustle over there.

Fortunately, nothing more happened, but I was delighted to be able to go from Cuomo to out the door in well less than a minute. My wife said she was really happy she didn't have to hit the guy with her Americano as she went for her 43.
    Totally agree. Add your cell phone to that list. I'll illustrate with a story:

I was staying at the Quality Inn in Renton WA for the IDPA championship (back when I shot IDPA). At 0130 I was awakened by someone trying to open the door. They tried a few times and gave up. I figured it was just a mistake and went back to sleep. In a few minutes the door was tried again, so I said "wrong room dude." Then a guy started yelling, banging, and demanding that I open the door. Here's where my zero dark thirty loadout failed. I got up with G19 in one hand and flashlight in the other. No pants, and no phone. The guy was going at the door hard enough that I didn't want to leave my tactically defensible spot at the bathroom door to get my phone and dial 911. It all ended ok but next time, I'm grabbing the pants.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm retarded and hit the wrong button, lol
    Last edited by VW.45; 11-17-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Unless it is on netflix or amazon vids, odds are I am not going to watch it. We actually ditched cable TV a few years back. Nobody was watching enough TV to justify the expense. We are kind of an outdoorsy family, so TV is way down the list of "stuff to do". That said, whenever we do a "family evening" that revolves around movies, it is a tradition that we watch my oldest daughter's favorite actor, John Wane. I can't tell you how many times we have watched El Dorado, Rio Bravo, and McClintock. It is to the point that daughter # 1 speaks the lines, during key parts.

Pop popcorn, and watch the Duke.

It is no wonder she has turned out like she has.

She would get along great with my father in law. All he likes to watch are westerns, with John Wayne being his favorite. I prefer Clint Eastwood, but you can never go wrong with the Duke, especially any of his meaner roles, lol.

"Big Jake" is my favorite movie of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Just one crazy explanation: Maybe some guys (?) empty their pants pockets because they put on a different, clean pair - in the A.M.?
    But in the meantime, all your stuff is in a pile somewhere. If you leave your stuff in your trousers, should there be a sudden need to, you can just grab your old pair of trousers and be good to go. And if the night was uneventful, you can transfer your stuff from your old trousers to the new ones in the morning.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Just one crazy explanation: Maybe some guys (?) empty their pants pockets because they put on a different, clean pair - in the A.M.?
    LOL. Clean pants, dirty pants, it doesn't matter in the middle of the night. There is a pair of pants with all my EDC stuff, including G-26, extra mag, cell phone, flashlight and a bunch of other stuff. I can switch before I go to bed or in the morning, but my prepared pants are always there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I actually have a warbelt under the bed I can just strap on.......so, naked in a warbelt. Perfect.
    That is an image I could have lived without.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 11-18-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Unless it is on netflix or amazon vids, odds are I am not going to watch it. We actually ditched cable TV a few years back. Nobody was watching enough TV to justify the expense. We are kind of an outdoorsy family, so TV is way down the list of "stuff to do". That said, whenever we do a "family evening" that revolves around movies, it is a tradition that we watch my oldest daughter's favorite actor, John Wane. I can't tell you how many times we have watched El Dorado, Rio Bravo, and McClintock. It is to the point that daughter # 1 speaks the lines, during key parts.

Pop popcorn, and watch the Duke.

It is no wonder she has turned out like she has.

That's so adorable I think I got a cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Cody
    We come into this world naked and afraid. Now, having mastered this world, let our enemies see us naked and be afraid. Very, very afraid.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-18-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Cody
    I do believe that's the point. A visual stun grenade, if you will.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List