Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overnight pistol position?

Overnight pistol position?

For many years, especially when traveling, I would place my pistol on or near the bed stand. Four or five years ago, DocGKR passed on the advice he has received from an FBI buddy -- leave the pistol near you, in its holster, on the pants you wearing when you went to bed. All your other stuff in the pants, too, like light, knife, wallet, car keys, etc. Made perfect sense to me, and my wife and I have done this ever since.

This morning, I woke up after not enough sleep, and watched some of the alternate news, namely CNN, to observe their angst at the night's developments. My wife headed on foot, from our hotel room to a nearby Starbucks. As she arrived, the police were speaking with a squirrelly looking guy. She ordered our stuff, and then noticed the police left, to which the person working at Starbucks said "oh, crap." She tried to get out the side door, when the guy focused in her, started approaching, and yelled "Josh, give me my son back." She replied she wasn't Josh and kept moving. Then she called me and said I have a crazy guy, get over here. I was able to hop up, throw my pants on as it was all rigged, even with the Ares belt lightly buckled, throw on the Salomons without touching laces, jacket on and hustle over there.

Fortunately, nothing more happened, but I was delighted to be able to go from Cuomo to out the door in well less than a minute. My wife said she was really happy she didn't have to hit the guy with her Americano as she went for her 43.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Wait, what?

I thought the PF consensus was to respond naked only wearing a viking helmet ala Dagga Boy?

I leave all the things on my pants just because I'm lazy, but it works out well that way.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    At home I have a slightly different routine but if we're traveling I do the things you described except the gun goes on the night stand right next to the bed. Holstering, even when done deliberately and properly, doesn't take long at all. This assumes we're in a place where I can legally carry/possess a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Wait, what?

I thought the PF consensus was to respond naked only wearing a viking helmet ala Dagga Boy?
    I use Berserker blue body paint. Makes me feel less naked.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I use Berserker blue body paint. Makes me feel less naked.
    I actually have a warbelt under the bed I can just strap on.......so, naked in a warbelt. Perfect.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

When travelling I used to leave the belt gun on the nightstand, though it occurred to me that if someone managed to get in the room, I may be giving them a free gun. That's somewhat mitigated by the dog always being with me when travelling. I put the main pistol under the pillow next to me, or under the blankets just below the pillow, one light with it, another on the bedside table. Sleeping alone that works, wouldnt work so well with someone else that may want to sleep on a pillow and all.

Pocket gun in pants pocket though.

At home, on the bedside table. It would be virtually impossible for anyone to get in the cabin without making noise, it latches from inside with no way to unlock or unlatch it from outside. Dog is also inside at night. Even if shes happy to see someone she makes noise.

Site Supporter
    When I retire for the night, my pants, complete with holstered Glock .40 of some type, and a belt pouched spare mag are on my side of the bed on the floor. I have elderly dogs that sometimes need to go out in the wee hours. Sit up, pull on pants with gear attached and in pockets, put on shirt and laceless shoes and out the door I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I actually have a warbelt under the bed I can just strap on.......so, naked in a warbelt. Perfect.
    Are we still doing "phrasing"?

"Strap on" in context with discussing what a big hairy naked guy does in the bedroom... well...

My shoes are on the floor approximately at pillow level. The pistol goes into the right shoe.

User Tag List