Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR-15 light mounts

What about mounting at 6 o'clock? Is that bad, uncool, or gonna get me....?

I've used this mount on my HD AR-15 with zero issues for just 18 months, https://www.elzetta.com/product/zfh1500/ with a Streamlight PolyTac, also fits a Surefire G2X

but, I'm pretty nice to my gear. Maybe others have thoughts on this mount, durability, and placement at 6.

Sorry, just read the FAQ section for this mount. It does not work with a SL

"Will the Elzetta ZFH1500 Tactical Flashlight Mount work with the Magpul MOE Handguard?"

"Yes, the Elzetta ZFH1500 fits perfectly with the standard Magpul MOE Handguards. It does not fit SL models.
    "
    Last edited by Alembic; 01-04-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Update bad info provided by me

From what I've read, meaning I am just a civvie, I haven't been anywhere or done anything, the issues with 6 o'clock are the light being obstructed by a barricade/blinding yourself with back splash, difficulty reaching the switch to turn it on/off (unless you're using a separate switch) and the barrel's shadow covering the target. There maybe more, these are the ones I remember. I've not tried it so don't know but I don't know if the MOE SL hand guard will accept a mount there.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Tony, I misread your post.

I was quite surprised by how large the 2 cell Fury light is. I haven't shot the rifle enough to have an opinion about how it affects the balance, I don't think it does really - this is what I have, now learn to shoot it.

A lot of pics I see on the 'net have smaller lights, sometimes I wonder if people chose their setups cos they look low profile, I went with the fury cos it's bright and seemed to be the light that had the most recommendations. After deciding on that I looked at how to mount the light to the MOE SL so that I could keep my hand as far forward and not have to change my hand position substantially to activate the light. With a longer rail there are more options, I've no plans to change this rifle, the money is better spent on ammo.
    Assuming Scout/E-series lights are what you're seeing? There are reasons other than aesthetics to use those lights.

But if the Fury puts out the kind of light you need, and it's in a position that you can consistently access it in multiple scenarios, then that's what matters. I'd just say to be careful about letting the rifle fall. Lights that far away from their mounting point can generate a lot of leverage if the head takes the full impact of a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    But if the Fury puts out the kind of light you need, and it's in a position that you can consistently access it in multiple scenarios, then that's what matters. I'd just say to be careful about letting the rifle fall. Lights that far away from their mounting point can generate a lot of leverage if the head takes the full impact of a fall.
    It's where I can use it, yes, either hand, low chance of accidental discharge and puts plenty of light out. I hear ya on it taking a fall, plenty of leverage. I am guessing that if it should happen that the polymer the bracket is mounted into or the bolts will be point most likely to fail.

Tony, I checked with VTAC and this will mount to a MOE SL. Use the correct ring for your light from here and I think you'll have a lower profile, lower stress mount. I might change to this set up as the IWC cos I kinda don't like the way the IWC mount butts out from the hand guard.

Thanks! I'll keep that option in mind.

User Tag List