Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 light mounts

AR-15 light mounts

So, I have a Colt LE6920 with a Magpul MOE SL carbine length handguard, and I'd like to add a light to the rifle. I'd prefer to have the ability to switch shoulders and still use the light, if possible.

A 12 o'clock mount would be nice and ambidextrous, but unfortunately seems impossible to accomplish without expensive modifications to the rifle.

Next option, I was thinking of the Midwest Industries light mount that attaches to the front sight ( https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...category_ID=94 MCTAR04). But is this compatible with the SL handguard?

Assuming that MI mount doesn't work, what would be the next best thing? A carbine length handguard is kind of small, I'd rather not have a big bulky light mount bolted right where I want to put my hand - and I chose the SL handguard specifically because it is narrower, so it fits my hand better. I'd prefer to keep it that way.

And thanks for your help, guys!

Check out Impact Weapons Components.

Mount it at 11 or 3. Still ambi.

We ran these for several years before I could buy new uppers. They worked great for a duty light. Extensive live fire training will probably require a glove as the heat does transfer up the FSB.

Link:
    https://battlecomp.com/product/mossie-midnight-mount/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I don't know about the Magpul handguard compatibility, but I have a FSB mount like the Midwest Industries and it works great with a Streamlight ProTac Railmount 1L and standard handguards. It puts the light at about 11' and manages to keep the light close without interfering with the grip.

I like that setup so much that if it was me, I'd be tempted to dremel away the plastic on those Magpul guards so the mount could fit...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    This!

I could have saved A LOT of money if Impact Weapons Components and their Mount-N-Slot light mounts had been around years ago. I recommend and setup my guys' patrol rifles with them now. The SMC light mount works great especially with the MOE-SL handguard, mounting the light at roughly 11:00 or 01:00 and providing ambidextrous operation.

IWC makes good gear.

Another option is the Troy Delta Rail, which gives you a longer rail with more real estate without any permanent mods to the rifle. I put one on a 6920 recently and then used it in a run and gun biathlon/match recently and it works well. It got banged around a lot and had no problems, didn't affect my zero, etc., and lets you mount a light up in front of the FSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately they don't sell internationally, and Brownells doesn't have their light mount.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    We ran these for several years before I could buy new uppers. They worked great for a duty light. Extensive live fire training will probably require a glove as the heat does transfer up the FSB.
    That's actually what I had in mind at first. But it seems those mounts are no longer made (except for airsoft-quality cheap copies). Good point about the heat transfer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    I don't know about the Magpul handguard compatibility, but I have a FSB mount like the Midwest Industries and it works great with a Streamlight ProTac Railmount 1L and standard handguards. It puts the light at about 11' and manages to keep the light close without interfering with the grip.

I like that setup so much that if it was me, I'd be tempted to dremel away the plastic on those Magpul guards so the mount could fit...
    Hmm. I just might end up doing that... (Now I only have to come to terms with having to pay over double what the mount costs in the US. )

I run the Mossie mount with the Moe-SL and a TLR-1, on a Commando. It works well enough, but due to casting imperfections of the fsb, the rail is not perfectly parallel to the bore. The Mossie rail has a means of adjusting for vertical misalignment, but not horizontal.

Botac advertises a knock-off of the Mossie which is more adjustable. Never handled it and Botac brings its own reputation, but might be worth a shot. Alternatively, there are multiple bayonet lug rails on the market that would work for 6 o'clock mounting.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I keep forgetting to update this thread.

Finally received my package, and the Midwest Industries lightmount does NOT work with the Magpul SL handguard. (It does work fine with the regular MOE handguard, but not the SL version.)

It might be possible to remove material from the top part of the handguard to make the mount fit. Mounting the handguard was enough of a PITA that I haven't had the energy to try to pull it off yet, though.

Really wishing I had access to that IWC light mount just about now... :/ It looks like an awesome product.

User Tag List