Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velcro Over/Under Belt

Velcro Over/Under Belt

I've been thinking about picking up a belt system to wear on range days and potentially under a uniform top (ACU's, OCP's). A velcro underbelt with a rigger style over belt seems to be the best option but I would be open to other ideas.

Do any of you have any first-hand experience or recommendations? Is a set up like this sturdy enough for serious range, competition, and class work? I don't really want something like the Double Alpha belt because I would like to be able to attach normal carry gear to it. Being able to use either belt with normal clothing would be a bonus too.

I've been looking at HSGI and High Threat Concealment Solutions so far. Not the entire HTCS system just the over and under belts.

I use two different HTC belts for work (one with the dress style buckle and one without), and they work pretty well.

One thing I learned is that your average velcro inner belt needs to be a decent quality. Getting the cheap-o Uncle Mikes velcro inner belt seems like the obvious choice, but I would not recommend it. My outer belt still sagged around everywhere with one on. Look into something a bit more quality that isn't necessarily stiff or rigid, but something that can hold its own. HSGI and Velocity Systems inner belts come to mind.

I much prefer this over the older "two belts with keepers" sort of setup I used to run when I was in uniform.

I have a couple different ones for work. The HTC one, a velocity systems one which is more of a battle belt, and then another which I think is a variation of the HTC. Work gave me a Raven competitor to the HTC as well, I think. I can't keep the brands straight....they issue us a bunch and mine are sort of mixed how I want.

I think they work well for what they are and what they're for. Yeah, it'll work fine for range use. Not so much concealment unless you don't mind printing or use a generous garment. It will feel sort of saggy compared to wearing stuff mounted directly to your belt. If you want the most stability for range only use, I'd run the Velcro belt through the kydex pouches linked together as a solid unit. Not so much for other applications, though, where most people at my job seem to prefer the flexibility of the kydex gear not being linked together.

They're really good for going from business casual to being fully kitted up in a matter of seconds in order to defend a fixed position.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-07-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    I use two different HTC belts for work (one with the dress style buckle and one without), and they work pretty well.

One thing I learned is that your average velcro inner belt needs to be a decent quality. Getting the cheap-o Uncle Mikes velcro inner belt seems like the obvious choice, but I would not recommend it. My outer belt still sagged around everywhere with one on. Look into something a bit more quality that isn't necessarily stiff or rigid, but something that can hold its own. HSGI and Velocity Systems inner belts come to mind.

I much prefer this over the older "two belts with keepers" sort of setup I used to run when I was in uniform.
    Are using the HTC inner belt also or another brand?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I use the HSGI inner belt with an HSGI Cobra riggers belt. Works very well. I can run 10 miles in it, and shoot all day without issue. You do have to take some care to line the velcro up right, or it won't put you gear where you want it. It also won't have full velcro contact if you're not careful. Once you get the hang of that, the system works very well.

Personally I hate the HTC crap, and I think the HSGI belts are better too.

Been using these for over a decade, yes, it's Uncle Mike's, but it's a shockingly good under belt combined with a good cop duty belt.

http://www.unclemikes.com/bags-cases...nner-duty-belt
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Been using these for over a decade, yes, it's Uncle Mike's, but it's a shockingly good under belt combined with a good cop duty belt.

http://www.unclemikes.com/bags-cases...nner-duty-belt
    Thanks Chuck. So you're using this with a 2" duty belt? I need to stay with a 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" belt to work with the gear I use. Do you think it would be stable enough for that?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Also not a fan of HTC. First Spear and HSGI make a good inner/outer belt combo.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I have a couple different ones for work. The HTC one, a velocity systems one which is more of a battle belt, and then another which I think is a variation of the HTC. Work gave me a Raven competitor to the HTC as well, I think. I can't keep the brands straight....they issue us a bunch and mine are sort of mixed how I want.
    The Velocity Systems inner belt is cobra style buckle and has a lanyard loop for personal retention but I consider that just fine for range use. It's the higher quality velcro too.

Also let me be clear, I'm not a big fan of HTC's kydex. I also get it issued for work and found it to be pretty lousy. But their belts aren't bad, and the dress style buckle means I have a set I can use with dress clothes, which is great.

I bought one of these when they first came out for duty, to wear under a rig.

https://www.blauer.com/guardian-keeper-belt-b003.html

Works fantastic.

Not heavy and probably won't support lots of pouches but if you are using it as a supporting inner belt for a hook/loop type application it'll work well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List