Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: After the election, at least for me. On the benefits of voting early in Texas.

After the election, at least for me. On the benefits of voting early in Texas.

I voted early (funny voting next to produce in a supermarket), and I thought I could take a break from it all and focus on matches and driving around Hill Country. Not so much, I am still attracted by this sad sad spectacle which will finally be over in a couple of days.

Good news first, at least for most. I voted Republican across the block, even in those local elections where I wasn't really very informed. My bad, but still my right.

And now for the bad news: I voted HRC. An awful candidate, no doubt. I do not like her at all, I voted for the most qualified donkey to pull the cart. Donkey, not horse. My vote was cast because she is vastly more competent for the job, even though I disagree with her on the issues. I think loving one's country means making that sacrifice, and that's how I feel.

As I have said in the past, I do not consider Trump a conservative, he has a much longer history to support Clinton (the Clintons actually) and Obama than fighting them. I could pile up reasons, but others, such as the National Review and Real Clear Politics have done it better than I.

I accept the implications on the Supreme Court nominations, but since I do not consider Trump a man of principles I have no confidence whatsoever that he would follow through with his promises. As Peter Wehner wrote,

He put out a list of fine judges – none of whom he probably knows anything about. It was a list prepared for him in order to pacify conservatives. Now add to that the fact that Trump has said his liberal, pro-choice sister would be a “phenomenal” Supreme Court justice; that he has not shown the slightest bit of interest in or knowledge about judicial philosophy; and that he believes judges “sign laws” (they don’t). The idea that Trump would fight for a conservative nominee, especially if Democrats regain control of the Senate – that he would expend political capital for a Scalia-like nominee – is fanciful. He would almost surely opt for the Art of the Deal with the likes of Sen. Chuck Schumer.
    Like Wehner, I do not consider a person who has opposed gun rights all his life anything more than a mere opportunist on the matter. He is the ultimate flip flopper, with the moral depth of a wading pool and intellectual shallowness to boot.

But in the end it boils down to this he is fantastically incompetent, and to think that he could be anywhere near the Oval Office is sickening. Not that I feel better thinking of her, because I do not. I just think she will be less destructive for the country than a totally incompetent fool with a deep admiration for foreign dictators.

If Trump loses, as I believe he will and should, we shall fight the good fight for the 2nd and I am confident we shall prevail, unless Trump causes a meltdown of the GOP in the Senate.

Good luck y'all, we all need it one way or the other. I am worried about the post-election, no matter who wins almost 50% of the country will be deeply upset and divided in a deep and unprecedented way.

Quote Originally Posted by LostDuke View Post
    I voted early ([I]
    Not so much, I am still attracted by this sad sad spectacle which will finally be over in a couple of days.
    I don't care who you voted for, there is no good choice and I suppose smart people can disagree about which loser is the best. However, you are unfortunately incorrect. "This sad spectacle" will just be beginning in a couple of months. It may even go on for the rest of our lives...

"The Election" with relevance for us gun owners starts in 2018, not 2016.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm not half as smart as 3/4 of the people on here, but I have no idea how you voted for her.
    i used to wannabe

Is it April 1st?
    Last edited by shane45; 11-06-2016 at 10:36 PM.

I don't understand the reason for the post, but that aside, you definitely sacrificed for the country all right. You helped sacrifice your and other freedom loving Americans' 2nd Amendment rights and probably helped elect someone whom you state you disagree with on the issues. Nice one. Option A (Hillary) promises she will do all she can to gut the Constitution. Option B (Trump) doesn't have a strong history, but promises to do otherwise. You say Option B likes foreign dictators (your perception), Option B adheres to the tenants of Saul Alinsky and structured her thesis around him. At least you know for sure now what your candidate will do. But if it makes you feel better, rock on. Your prerogative. Since we're both in TX, I can console myself with having canceled out your vote.
    Last edited by Willard; 11-06-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LostDuke View Post
    I voted Republican across the block, even in those local elections where I wasn't really very informed. My bad, but still my right. And now for the bad news: I voted HRC. An awful candidate, no doubt.
    I am speechless. You pissed away your vote. Then you troll before people you reasonably know to mostly be opposed. "Mummy, Mummy, look what I did!"

Maybe gobsmacked is a better word.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 11-06-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Wow! Unbelievable

I can't be one to dogpile, because I understand your calculus.

Were someone to force me to choose one at risk of the life of my spouse or kids, I'd pick her too. Fortunately, that isn't the case. I probably won't even bother voting 3rd party. I have other elections that matter to me in my state, but the presidency is clearly a farce at this point and beyond reason.

I do think HRC is slightly more threatening to the 2nd than Trump. I also think that Trump presents a greater risk of ruin on a geopolitical level. I don't think either gives even half a damn about the constitution or the well being of the American people. To make out like one is factually much better than the other is deluded, IMO.

I in fact think that HRC may be better for us for the very reason GardoneVT points out; the mid term elections are likely to have much greater impact on our issues going forward. Historically, those elections tend to counterbalance against the presidential. Still not voting for that turd sandwich based only on that probability.

Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 11-07-2016 at 02:29 AM.

User Tag List