Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Excellent comparison of Dillon 650, Lee Loadmaster, & Hornady LnL

I took a couple extra minutes setting it up(ground the bolt head flat and set it up with a spent case) and haven't had any problems with seating primers in many, many thousand rounds. With the exception of getting some small primer .45 cases mixed in with the real stuff, I've never had any kind of priming issue at all o the load master. I can't say that with the Pro1000 which is the primary reason I went to the Load Master, that and I wanted a five station press.

I do run a decaping die in station 1 and resize in station two to center the case for priming.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 12-02-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I took a couple extra minutes setting it up(ground the bolt head flat and set it up with a spent case) and haven't had any problems with seating primers in many, many thousand rounds. With the exception of getting some small primer .45 cases mixed in with the real stuff, I've never had any kind of priming issue at all o the load master. I can't say that with the Pro1000 which is the primary reason I went to the Load Master, that and I wanted a five station press.

I do run a decaping die in station 1 and resize in station two to center the case for priming.
    Three stations is the real drawback to the Pro 1000. That and it can't be used for anything longer than .223 Remington.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

The issue I have with it is safety. I had a primer tray explosion on one, and decided from that day on any press I buy will have a distinct separation between the primers in 'que' and the one being pressed into the case. Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, all have primer shields for this exact reason. Lee sells one for $5 - buy it now if you don't already have it.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...opic.php?t=472

It would have saved my buddy's face, and thankfully there wasn't any permanent damage. They should come with every loadmaster.

Hornady's tube will direct the explosion up into the cieling, same with Dillon and the new RCBS units. Every one of them has a carousel or slider mechanism to separate the active primer from the que. The Loadmaster has no such separation.

I am an old Hornady Pro-Jector user and have been loading on one of those presses for probably close to 30 years. While the Lock N Load has a few more modern features like the die bushings and the little EZject shell kicker I think I prefer the older press.

The older press' primer system is a swinging arm instead of a slider bar. As such it allows me to see the primer as it swings from the tube to the shell plate. I can visually verify if the primer is right side up or that there are primers in the system. It also does not have the issue of not coming all the way under the primer seater that the slider system can have.

I haven't checked recently but the old Pro could be found on ebay for pretty darned cheap and even these older presses are still covered by Hornady. If anyone wants a second press to dedicate to a specific cartridge or just to have another press I would really hunt for a used 'Jector. I think you'll be happy.

People have been trying to convince others, and themselves that LNL or Loadmaster competes with Dillon.

People that already have a Dillon are just trying to help folks save time, money and headache.

There is a reason everything is compared to Dillon.

That is why 'everyone' says, "just get a Dillon."
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 12-02-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    People have been trying to convince others, and themselves that LNL or Loadmaster competes with Dillon.

People that already have a Dillon are just trying to help folks save time, money and headache.

There is a reason everything is compared to Dillon.

That is why 'everyone' says, "just get a Dillon."

BTW, I've never met a person say they were going to sell their 650 to LNL.
    You have now. I did just that when the LNL came out.

But I do still use a Dillon powder measure. One of the old ones with the return spring instead of the pull rod affair.

You've never heard me say that Lee is as good as Dillon. What I have said and will continue to say is that Lee works and works well with a modicum of patience and attention to detail at a very reasonable price. Anyone who argues that you don't need patience and attention to detail if you run a Dillon is either a fool or an idiot.

With Dillon you pay a premium for an iron clad warranty on a piece of very well made equipment. If you have the money for Dillon, buy Dillon. If you don't have that kind of money, buy Lee, just do so with your eyes wide open in either case.

BTW, how is Hornady's CS and warranty compared to Dillon?
    TANSTAAFL

BTW, how is Hornady's CS and warranty compared to Dillon?
    Pretty much identical.

JEEP, I'm not arguing against the blast shield. It's cheap insurance and does not effect the operation at all. I've never needed it but why take the chance.

This brings another question I have asked before and never really had answered. Why do I not get popped primers? I've had them get sideways with the Pro 1000 and crushed into the case. I've had small pocket .45 case get large pistol primers smashed into them. I mean smashed. I don't mean that I've tried to make it happen but all the normal crap has happened and nary a primer has gone boom. It could just be that I haven't reached my number yet. I'm sure I'm just middle of the road at best as far as volume of loading goes, but I still wonder why I've never seen this happen when it obviously does happen.
    TANSTAAFL

I'd try a used LnL but I wouldn't be fooling myself about it compared to 650.

I just looked up the Hornady LnL swager, looks goofy.

Last edited by LittleLebowski; 12-02-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    #RESIST

User Tag List