Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent comparison of Dillon 650, Lee Loadmaster, & Hornady LnL

Nice summary, jeep. I had the opportunity to fiddle with a Hornady LNL in a local store and liked a few technical details about it and was leaning red. But an apples to apples shopping list vs the 650, the 650 is only about $100 more, I think I'm going to go blue.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    650 also has an additional station to put in a powder check die which is a very nice safety feature.
    Or potentially charge after flaring. I plan to experiment more with the Hornady measure, I just like the cylindrical shape of the measuring cavity. No scientific data, it just makes more sense to me than something with corners. I tried the drop tubes that flare and didn't like the way it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    Nice summary, jeep. I had the opportunity to fiddle with a Hornady LNL in a local store and liked a few technical details about it and was leaning red. But an apples to apples shopping list vs the 650, the 650 is only about $100 more, I think I'm going to go blue.

Thanks!

Hurry up and help make America great again already!
    #RESIST

The Pro 1000 is an amazing little press. What's amazing about it is how well it works for the money. The downside is that it is made of pot metal, aluminum and plastic. Still, I don't think there's anything out there that'll load pistol (and some rifle) ammo as fast for so cheap.

Lee now has some stuff it is selling as a "classic" series that is made to a bit more durable standard. I wonder how a Lee Pro 1000 Classic would be. Get rid of the plastic parts and make everything from cast iron and aluminum and they'd probably have a little progressive press that's second to none.

Then discontinue the Load Master.....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

what i like about Dillon is when you call you get a person who takes care of you right away. Heck i called on a saturday and someone answered. And their warranty is top notch.

He is gone now but years ago I called about an issue with my 650XL and Mike Dillon answered... in less than two minutes he diagnosed the problem and explained how to correct it (case feeder plate was not fully seated causing intermittent / recurring case feeder jams). The relatively few other calls I have made to Dillon have been totally satisfactory with every possible effort to resolve whatever I was calling about.

I have been very happy with my 650 with case feeder and bullet tray, mostly loading 40 S&W but also 9mm and 44 Magnum.

Just to toss another anecdotal piece of info in here.

I recently picked up a Lee Load Fast auto indexing progressive shot shell loader at a gun show. It was a spur of the moment purchase, $10.00 and I had never seen a progressive shot press from Lee. Turns out they were made from 1990 to 1997 and had a couple issues that made Lee stop production.

I called Lee to see if there were any parts available, like shot and powder bushings and the primerr feed tray. They sent me out a complete bushing kit, primer tray and adapter and a bag of miscellaneous springs, screws and the like. All they charged was shipping. Now this would have been about $15.00 in retail value so it's not like they broke the bank for me, but excellent customer service for a second hand, discontinued press.

BTW, I got the press up and running in about 20min. and loaded 25 rounds with nary a hiccup. I do see some potential issues and it is a fairly cumbersome process but it works and makes quality shot shells.

If nothing else it will look nice as a historical piece.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 12-02-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

OH Yeah,

What's with the Load Master hate? I find it to be a much more reliable and versatile press than the Pro 1000.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    OH Yeah,

What's with the Load Master hate? I find it to be a much more reliable and versatile press than the Pro 1000.
    I don't have a bunch of time on a Load Master and what little time I have was positive. But I don't care for the prime on the upstroke. It is counter-intuitive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    OH Yeah,

If you look back at my post, you'll see why I hate it. It makes quality ammo to say the least, but I find the priming system dangerous as hell.

User Tag List