Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Excellent comparison of Dillon 650, Lee Loadmaster, & Hornady LnL

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd try a used LnL but I wouldn't be fooling myself about it compared to 650.

I just looked up the Hornady LnL swager, looks goofy.

It actually works pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It actually works pretty well.
    I believe you but it's caliber specific and you can't use it as part of a processing cycle other than to only swage.
    #RESIST

I believe you but it's caliber specific and you can't use it as part of a processing cycle other than to only swage.
    Well, conversion from using the press to load into using the press to swage only takes minutes. And conversion back to loading is equally fast.

Once a rhythm is worked out the swaging goes pretty fast. This system is 10x faster than the bench mounted single swagers or the single stage press systems like the RCBS. I imagine the only thing better is the Dillon 1050.

Currently I decap with a universal decapping die and then tumble the brass. After cleaning it is swaged on the LNL.

Right now I only have a 223 swager but I imagine the 308 works just as well.

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-03-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Well, conversion from using the press to load into using the press to swage only takes minutes. And conversion back to loading is equally fast.

Once a rhythm is worked out the swaging goes pretty fast. This system is 10x faster than the bench mounted single swagers or the single stage press systems like the RCBS. I imagine the only thing better is the Dillon 1050.

Right now I only have a 223 swager but I imagine the 308 works just as well.
    I wish I could test drive a LnL locally...

The SwageIt for the Dillon 550 and 650 looks way better if you don't believe the hype about it possibly damaging your press and I do not.
    #RESIST

Are you on arfcom? Maybe post on the hometown forum and see if someone local to you will let you test drive a press.

I wish I could test drive a LnL locally...

The SwageIt for the Dillon 550 and 650 looks way better if you don't believe the hype about it possibly damaging your press and I do not.
    I just bought a 650 last week, and the swagit looks very interesting.. one could set up a toolhead to deprime, swage primer pockets, (and with a Dillon power trimmer/ resizing die, which I happen to have) size, trim, all at once and do all the brass prep quickly. I'll admit the single biggest chore to loading rifle brass is the brass prep,and if you have 1-2000 cases to do at a crack, it really becomes a chore. The fact one could set up a toolhead to do it all at once, fairly quickly, really, really has my attention...

I j
    Last edited by ralph; 12-03-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Are you on arfcom? Maybe post on the hometown forum and see if someone local to you will let you test drive a press.
    I did check, nothing yet.
    #RESIST

I asked Dillon about the Swage It specifically on a 550. The rep I spoke with told me the design places more stress on the shell plate than it is designed to handle and will void the warranty.

I asked Dillon about the Swage It specifically on a 550. The rep I spoke with told me the design places more stress on the shell plate than it is designed to handle and will void the warranty.
    Yes, exactly what I was referring to. Most if not all, report that it does not but there's a beefier aftermarket shell plate available for this.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I just bought a 650 last week, and the swagit looks very interesting.. one could set up a toolhead to deprime, swage primer pockets, (and with a Dillon power trimmer/ resizing die, which I happen to have) size, trim, all at once and do all the brass prep quickly. I'll admit the single biggest chore to loading rifle brass is the brass prep,and if you have 1-2000 cases to do at a crack, it really becomes a chore. The fact one could set up a toolhead to do it all at once, fairly quickly, really, really has my attention...
    Yes, exactly what I was referring to. Most if not all, report that it does not but there's a beefier aftermarket shell plate available for this.
    I bought one for the 550 with the intent of doing some of what Ralph describes, but am not totally on board with it. It seems as though it does take a lot of force to pull to case off of the mandrel, maybe more force than it needs to. It seems like the mandrel is up in the primer pocket farther than it needs to be and I am considering tweaking the pin to reduce some of the force required to pull it loose. But now I am especially in a quandary because I to have added a 650, and the option of cranking through things with the case feed is a huge appeal. My approach will probably to tweak the pin (only $40 if I screw the pooch) to see if I like it more, before jumping into one for the 650. The fact that I bought a bunch of really cheap 9mm brass that showed up with a lot of crimped primers is a factor...

ETA: I meant to ask about the aftermarket shell plate?
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-05-2016 at 10:09 AM.

User Tag List