Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 20 round AR mag thread

John,

Which rack is that? Do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    For certain vehicle applications they are almost mandatory. The passenger would not appreciate a 30 round magazine in this rifle.

A 30 round would make a nice armrest!

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Which rack is that? Do you like it?
    Setina double vertical with XL locks, free standing since I do not have a cage. It's OK. It's not visible but there is a 14" 870 there as well. For carrying two long guns, there aren't a whole lot of better options. That is our standard locking system, we're running it in Chargers and Pursuit Utilities with cages.

I had to make my own bracket for the "cup" at the bottom to have room for my Aimpoint to mount in the protected fashion you see. Supposedly, Setina will now send you brackets that will make this happen.

As far as speed of access, I still miss my overhead rack, the rifle just seemed to come out faster from it. Probably not an issue since you're not going to deploy the rifle under extreme duress, it's definitely a proactive tool.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

GI straight 20 master race! Magpul twenties aren't bad, but aluminum curved twenties are gay. Straight Jacksons is where it's at.

You can put Magpul L-plates or ranger plates onto a GI 20, but you'll need to snap the floorplate retainer off it's rivet. And it reduces the mag to a 18 rounder. But it adds a bit of durability and handiness.

Name:  gi20.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  27.8 KB

Twennies are so much handier to drop into a pocket or hold two during manipulations. Plus maximum baller status:

Name:  lightrecce.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  83.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    WAsh, interesting that you are having issues with the older 20rd PMags. For several seconds now I have been carrying two 20rd PMags in my work AR via a redi-mod. Reason is maneuverability inside a patrol car. What have you encountered?
    Repeated double feeds and failures to lock to rear across multiple in-spec rifles (Colt and DD).
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Colt 20 rounders are retro sexy, but Magpul 40 rounders are awesome
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    My stash is about a 50/50 split between 20s and 30s. The 20s ride in the pistols and rifles as primary with either 20s on the belt or 30s in the vest as needed. I think it makes a better balance and certainly not as cumbersome. But, I got little t-rex arms...

For work purposes I will run 30s.

For recreational purposes, I predominately use 20 rounders, mainly old Colt mags, many of which are at least 30 years old. As long as you don't step on them, or drop them on concrete or similar surfaces, they seem to run forever.

Old Colt Grouse gun:

AKA, the wolves were not cooperating, so I filled the dutch oven with grouse. Not a breast was harmed.

Modern rendition, same mags:

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    That post sure gets a workout!!

A BUNCH of ground squirrels have met their demise while guns have been perched from the surrounding fence posts. Not to mention I bet I have probably looked at 100+ antelope through a scope in the last 10 years in that same spot. A badger lives nearby, but I have yet to get the timing right on him..

User Tag List