Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 20 round AR mag thread

The 20 round AR mag thread

Here is where we all agree that 20rounders make the rifle balance/handle bestest and look bestest.
    #RESIST

I agree. They also allow the gun to come out the window for a yote of opportunity easier than a 30.

20 rounders have at least 2 drawbacks, hard to monopod, and they don't make liberals cry as much. Other than that, they are kinda sexy.
    Taking a break from social media.

I like 'em but wish I could get some that work. Straight 20 rd PMAGs and an unused (until recently) 2009 stamped Colt give me issues.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I like 'em but wish I could get some that work. Straight 20 rd PMAGs and an unused (until recently) 2009 stamped Colt give me issues.
    I've had good luck with Lancer 20's.

Had a stack of Colt 20s back in the 80s, they all worked great. I dropped one loaded onto a large rock and bent the feed lip on one side, it wouldn't feed from that side afterwards. That's the only problem I ever had with them functioning.

Wish Id kept those mags. I sold them when I didn't have a gun for them. Dumb. Just have a few now.

20 rounders, a SP-1 with the 3 pronged flash hider & triangular handguard.

I got very lucky at drill one time. My platoon sergeant and I were going through our storage area during a change of command inventory. Stumbled on to an entire footlocker of pristine, still in the plastic colt 20rnd mags. The supply sergeant said they were no longer on the books and we could take them. I ended up with about 20 or so and the rest went home with any of my guys that had AR's. That was a good day.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    In my early days of experience with AR pattern rifles (old beat to hell Colt and Hydra-Matic M16A1s in the Wyoming Army Guard), I quickly learned that the 20 rounders seemed to work better that the old Adventure Line 30s that had been dropped, stepped on, and f-ed up for years. Since BRM never required 30 rounds, the lesser capacity was never an issue. Once I picked up my Colt Sporter and delved into the world of AR, I found that there were in fact reliable 30 round mags out there. That all said, deep down in my lizard brain, I still see 20s as the most reliable. From a practical standpoint the 20s work better for my needs, they are big enough to get a good grip on during a magazine change, but small enough that you can shoot from a bench, low prone, or from some crazy position with little interference. Of course 20 versus 30 is all a moot point for me since I am only a proletariat 2nd class in Kalifornia so am relegated to 10 round magazines (or 20/30s plugged to 10).

As far as aesthetics - it is really really hard to beat the look of a 20 round PMAG in the appropriate color, unless as noted above you are rocking an old triangle handguarded SP-1, then it is the Colt all the way.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 11-05-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Here's one you don't see every day:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List