Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do bonded bullets have any downsides?

Do bonded bullets have any downsides?

Do bonded bullets have any downsides or circumstances where they aren't ideal? I don't have a specific load or circumstance in mind, just curious in general. I've probably read everything @DocGKR has posted anywhere, and have also read up a bit on the physics of terminal ballistics, and it seems bonded bullets are the best at everything. That just makes me wonder, though, if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalis View Post
    Do bonded bullets have any downsides or circumstances where they aren't ideal? I don't have a specific load or circumstance in mind, just curious in general. I've probably read everything @DocGKR has posted anywhere, and have also read up a bit on the physics of terminal ballistics, and it seems bonded bullets are the best at everything. That just makes me wonder, though, if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!
    Not ideal for precision applications, though some are good, and others are improving.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Not ideal for precision applications, though some are good, and others are improving.
    It's good someone put something serious here because I was going to be snarky and say only if you're on the receiving end.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Generally true, but I'll note that gold dot is the most accurate round I've fired. It destroys TMK, SOST,TBBC, and is very similar to, although slightly better, than mk262. This is from my rifle, and ymmv as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    ...I'll note that gold dot is the most accurate round I've fired.
    IIRC, Speer uses electroplating to make the jackets for their bonded bullets. This would create an extremely uniform jacket and, assuming they start with precisely-made cores, it would make for very good accuracy.

Are there other ways of making bonded bullets, besides electroplating?

Bonded in 99% of case means plated.
    Plated in 99% of cases means not as accurate as jacketed or even cast lead.
    Do a search for "bullet keyholing" and I'll bet you read a lot about plated bullets.
    Some manufacturer claims that they use adhesive in their jackets during the swaging process, so I concede that 1% of bonded bullets that might actually be jacketed and bonded.
    A bullet is accurate based on the care taken processing it, and not on any specific "process name." A bullet opens on impact based on design and not on any specific "process name."

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Do a search for "bullet keyholing" and I'll bet you read a lot about plated bullets.
    Some manufacturer claims that they use adhesive in their jackets during the swaging process, so I concede that 1% of bonded bullets that might actually be jacketed and bonded.
    A bullet is accurate based on the care taken processing it, and not on any specific "process name." A bullet opens on impact based on design and not on any specific "process name."
    I noticed that Federal HST was more accurate than Gold Dot in my carry guns, which is one of the reasons I switched. Wonder why plated is less accurate? Seems like there would be little difference between plated and pure lead. I would assume (makes an ass out of you and me) that the separate jacket from the lead core would introduce variances that would theoretically open up groups. Maybe not?

Note: Federal HST uses a mechanical lock to keep the jacket and core from separating, like Hornady Critical Duty.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 11-08-2016 at 11:59 PM.

...Plated in 99% of cases means not as accurate...

...search for "bullet keyholing" and I'll bet you read a lot about plated bullets...

A bullet is accurate based on the care taken processing it, and not on any specific "process name."
    Last edited by Vorpalis; 11-09-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    ...the separate jacket from the lead core would introduce variances that would theoretically open up groups.
    Correct. You unavoidably have tolerance stacking: the uniformity of both the copper sheet used for the jacket and the lead wire used for the core; the precision and accuracy of each die and press used to cut and swage the core, as well as those used to cut, cup and swage the jacket around the core. Plating eliminates all the potential mechanical variances relating to manufacturing the jacket Though like noylj said, it depends on the care taken by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalis View Post
    Correct. You unavoidably have tolerance stacking: the uniformity of both the copper sheet used for the jacket and the lead wire used for the core; the precision and accuracy of each die and press used to cut and swage the core, as well as those used to cut, cup and swage the jacket around the core. Plating eliminates all the potential mechanical variances relating to manufacturing the jacket Though like noylj said, it depends on the care taken by the manufacturer.
    Vorpalis, noylj this is some really great and interesting info. So do coated lead bullets have the same issue of, "tolerance stacking" as plated due to the process, or are they less effected by coating than say a jacketed bullet? The example I am thinking of are things like polymer coated lead projectiles. Really great info here thanks.
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-09-2016 at 10:49 AM.

User Tag List