Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 35 9mm project

Glock 35 9mm project

I just got a great deal on a Gen 4 Glock 35. My plan is to convert it to 9mm as fully as possible. I have a few questions.

Is it correct that the necessary parts are a conversion barrel, 9mm extractor, 9mm ejector and 9mm magazines? That's all I need, right?

Is there a 70% difference in quality between a KKM barrel and a Lone Wolf barrel? The LW barrel is $100 and the KKM barrel is $170. I don't mind paying more money for a better product but I have no way to evaluate the difference.

Thanks.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    FWIW I have a Gen 4 G35 that I love. Had a KKM conversion barrel - sold it (mostly use my G4g17 for the same purpose instead).

The KKM is an awesome barrel. Incredibly accurate. I am sure the LW is fine but I've seen such sketchy quality control with LWD made parts that I avoid them entirely nowadays.

As for parts, you are correct, but missing one very important item - the 9mm recoil spring. However, keep in mind the G35 slide is a little heavier than the G34 slide; tolerances maybe different. I wouldn't carry this gun chambered in 9mm.

To be honest I enjoy the gun quite a bit on its own. Recoil with .40 is quite mild, and the gun is damn accurate. If it's your only glock or have other reasons for converting it, then by all means; that said, don't overlook the quality of this pistol as it comes out of the box. Especially given the upcoming election, it might be handy to keep around a .40 or two..
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-05-2016 at 02:10 PM.

I know loading 40 is still more money and can be time consuming if you have to do extra steps to your brass.. but I've heard .40 minor is so soft it's ridiculous. Maybe an option?
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    I would suggest buying a KKM 40 to 9 barrel and obtaining a G17 9mm mag. That may be all you need to use 9mm in a G35 before you buy or swap out any other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I would suggest buying a KKM 40 to 9 barrel and obtaining a G17 9mm mag. That may be all you need to use 9mm in a G35 before you buy or swap out any other parts.
    I'd also throw in a 9mm recoil spring. I had pretty frequent FTEs with the .40 cal RSA + 9mm conversion barrel. Even with the barrel swap I think you'll find 40-9 converted Gen4s do better with hotter 9mm. Otherwise I'd be inclined to leave the parts as is - much less of a PITA when you swap back to .40.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I know loading 40 is still more money and can be time consuming if you have to do extra steps to your brass.. but I've heard .40 minor is so soft it's ridiculous. Maybe an option?
    I load .40 minor for a 1911. It is very soft shooting and, with WST powder, quiet (relatively) as well.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

"To be honest I enjoy the gun quite a bit on its own. Recoil with .40 is quite mild, and the gun is damn accurate. If it's your only glock or have other reasons for converting it, then by all means; that said, don't overlook the quality of this pistol as it comes out of the box. Especially given the upcoming election, it might be handy to keep around a .40 or two."

I think I might follow this approach for a while. I bought because it's was a great deal and all my pistols were in 9mm. Plus I get a little bit of free .40 ammo from time to time.

Does anybody else have an opinion on whether or not a G35 could be reliable enough to carry as a 9mm?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Does anybody else have an opinion on whether or not a G35 could be reliable enough to carry as a 9mm?
    I can comment on this. I have exactly 1394 rounds of .40 cal through my G35, and it just went 1100 rounds without lubrication or cleaning. Vast majority of those rounds were fired with the TLR-1 attached, including the last 1100 rounds. Ammo has been mostly Federal 180gr both steel and brass + 150 rounds of 180gr Federal HST. Probably some WWB in there too. While I had one early FTFeed when shooting the gun with a TLR 1 + old magazines, I have had zero bobbles of any kind with the newest, updated magazines.

A this point I would definitely trust it for carry/home defense and have done so in the past.

edit: After reading your sentence again, if you wanted to know if I'd carry it converted to 9mm, I would say no. My KKM barrel was accurate but it did not inspire confidence in me, even with the 9mm spring. Fine for practice but I wouldn't carry it loaded with 9mm ammo.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-05-2016 at 08:24 PM.

I have two Gen 3 Glock 35's. I'm running them with Lone Wolf Alphawolf conversion barrels. I've put about 1200 rounds through them with zero malfunctions. I haven't done a "full" conversion as the only 9mm parts I'm using are the barrel and magazine. I'm confident that you won't have major issues if you went down the full conversion road. I'm satisfied as heck with the performance and quality of the Alphawolf barrel.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

All of the Glock .40s turned to 9s I have seen have run fine with only the conversion barrel and 9mm mags being used.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 11-07-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List