Thread: Week 189: The Two Second Standards Part 2

Week 189: The Two Second Standards Part 2

Week 189: The Two Second Standards Part 2

Results may be posted until December 4th, 2016.

Designed by: Hardwired Tactical Shooting
    Range: Shooter's choice
    Target: B8 bull (black only) - download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Shooter's choice
    Rounds Fired: Varies

This week we'll continue The Two Second Standards developed by Hardwired Tactical Shooting. Last time we focused on the core aspects of the standards (presentation and shooting from ready and the holster at 3 and 5 yards.) This time we'll widen the scope of distance and task.

Here's an excerpt of one of nyeti's posts describing this drill:

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    It is an drill with no particular set of standards, but more like guidelines to establish an individual level of performance.

The idea is based on gunfights tending to be two second operations with one side winning and one losing inside that timeframe. Any longer and parties are tending to move and start new two second affairs from different positions. So, we set the timer for 2 seconds. Target....the black of a B8 bull. Anything shots outside of the black and the test is a fail. So how much work can you do at 100% accountability everytime in two seconds. Any range, any ready, from ready, from concealment, two hands, one hand, with a flashlight, stationary, moving, doesn't matter. We test everything on it. What you are testing is use of real world time and 100% accountability.
    You can read the rest of his post here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post495401

So, the time limit is two seconds and the target is a B8 bull (black only.) The shooter picks the distance and task, but whatever that is, it must be completed four times without any misses. You can present from the holster or ready. You can retrieve the gun from a table or case. You can use one hand or both. You can move or not. You can turn the lights down and/or use a flashlight. The possibilities are endless. You must shoot the chosen task a total of four times. Your score for each string is the number of hits in the black B8 bull. If you have any misses, your score for that string is zero. Overtime shots that HIT do not score any points but also do not result in a zero for the string - they just don't count for anything. If you complete it four times without any misses, you Pass. If you miss the black B8 bull, you Fail.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Distance and task chosen (draw, present from ready, strong hand only, with flashlight, etc.)
    Score on String 1
    Score on String 2
    Score on String 3
    Score on String 4
    Grand Total Score
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment used: Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper

Distance and task chosen: 7 yards, draw and move laterally, alternating right (freestyle) and left (SHO)

Score on String 1: 1
    Score on String 2: 1
    Score on String 3: 1
    Score on String 4: 1
    Grand Total Score: 4

Pass or Fail: PASS

Anything you noticed: Shot very conservatively on this, which is both a product of the lack of tolerance for any error built into the drill, and my general habit in shooting on the move on tough targets. I invest a lot more in fewer shots in terms of aiming and triggering. It didn't even really cross my mind to try for a second shot even though there may have been time for it. To me, this time limit, distance, and target with the task I chose, made it feel like a one-shot drill. From looking at the video editor, the SHO strings where the timer failed to detect the shot were ~1.46 or so.

Lord of the Food Court

Equipment used: Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper

Distance and task chosen: 7 yards, start position was gun holstered and concealed, flashlight on and held in support hand in FBI high position - at start signal, simultaneously turn off light, take one lateral step (alternated left and right), transition to temple index, turn on light, draw and fire strong hand only.

Score on String 1: 1
    Score on String 2: 1
    Score on String 3: 1
    Score on String 4: 1
    Grand Total Score: 4

Pass or Fail: PASS

Anything you noticed: Same as in the On The Move attempt, this felt like a one shot drill to me given the layers of tasks and lack of tolerance for any error that is built into the drill. There may have been time for more, but one shot felt right for the overall conditions.

Lord of the Food Court

Shot with my CZ 75 SP-01 from AIWB CCC Gestalt with polo for concealment. All strings shot SHO. I wanted to shoot this simulating the SHO stuff I do in low light, but forgot my flashlight so just shot it "normal" SHO. Shot from low ready for strings 1 & 3, and from the holster for strings 2 & 4.

String 1: 2 hits
    String 2: 1 hits
    String 3: 1 hits
    String 4: 0 hits (tried and missed twice, shots were right over 2.0 sec each)

Total = 4 hits, failed due to string 4.

I need to do more work shooting SHO in general, especially from the holster. Will focus on this in dry fire, but a tighter target like a B8 meant I took too much time trying to get sight picture, then yanking the shot to try and make the time.

Name:  2 sec standards - Part 2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  31.3 KB

I think maybe more SHO work will help me close the gap in recoil managment since I think I should be able to get at least 3 hits shooting 1H from 3 yds, and 2 hits from 5 yds.

User Tag List