Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Post your draw video... brag, critique, compare

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Here's a really slow but clean FAST drill. It was dark enough I shot it from a Safariland that doesn't allow for a full firing grip and not my JM AIWB. If I remember correctly this was 7.18 clean. Noticed a couple things from this video. My press out looks very slow and deliberate it doesn't feel that slow. I'm dropping my head (still). I'm not getting my weight behind the gun and its resulting in me getting pushed back. Finally, did I mention how freaking slow this was?

Stand by. Can't get the video to upload. Keeps coming in as an image.

https://youtu.be/Zyp7uuBB4oA
    Actually, looks pretty good!

I'm no expert, but did manage to increase draw speed a lot. even though I'm an old geezer. it was simple, but not easy. Daily dry fire with the par timer. Really pushing to beat that second beep, then dropping it a tenth and repeat. Initially there were gains, then....stagnation. But with daily drills it grooved the motion and after 10 months a bubble burst and speed was found. (Weird but true)

I'm still slow at SEEING, and have other issues like inconsistent grip pressure and trigger control (and even a flinch on occasions). Yeah....lots left to work on.

One point on your draw. When I started to REALLY try to go fast, it felt like tearing muscles. Seriously. so, when you grab the gun and rip it out if the holster...think PUNCH the gun out with knockout force as hard and fast as possible.

I can definitely go faster. AIWB concealed to first shot can get around 1.0 if I'm pushing for pure speed. But this evening my focus was trigger control and seeing the sights. Holster doesn't fit this pistol very well so really didn't want to push anything.

I did a run that evening under 6, which isn't bad for me. I know I can go faster than that. I'm working through some trigger control demons though. Gotta work that stuff out first.

I really don't like watching myself on video. I have a coaching background and have spent thousands of hours watching athletes on video. I'm really good at finding errors in technique and fundamentals and helping athletes work through it.

Working MYSELF through it is another story. My OCD kicks in and I usually end up making myself worse. I've never tried it with shooting. There's a lot of mental scar tissue there that is making me avoid it though.

It is very difficult to distinguish between what I should look like performing a skill and what a skill looks like when it works as well as its going to work.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I agree completely on hating watching video and seeing "that guy" stumble and bumble along aimlessly when I distinctly remember flying through the course of fire! (yes, delusions of adequacy. Lol)

0.8 sec par time, with sight picture, Beretta 92A from Blade-Tech OWB open top holster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ326ZW1MhU
    Last edited by AGR416; 11-07-2016 at 09:51 AM.

This is more or less the current state of my draw - when it goes right.
    Unfortunately they don't always, so I've switched my focus to getting an aggressive, stronger grip 99% of the time by slowing down in the instant when "sliding" into contact with the tang.
    Since shooting this almost all the reading I've done on increasing my speed + accuracy on demand supports a systemic need for a stronger grip. I definitely am struggling to increase speed because my front post isn't returning to a consistent spot.

EDIT: WARNING - there is audio disparity in this clip - it gets really loud at the end, sorry.
    Also sorry for trying to have a "personality" this was more for my no-guns facebooks folks, it's braggy.

Last edited by SsevenN; 02-17-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

appreciate any feed back, basically watched a few youtube videos (Mr.white yours are truly amazing) and tried to apply what I saw/watched. any comments/help appreciated

I'm simulating 10yds @ 9 ft. the last part of the video when I'm trying hands on my head was just me trying a different position my buddy told me some competitions require that, and I had never done it before hence the miss.

for grins this is a video of my draw before watching any videos/practicing dry firing, It's embarrassing to even watch it now.

Last edited by Nimitz87; 05-13-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    appreciate any feed back, basically watched a few youtube videos (Mr.white yours are truly amazing) and tried to apply what I saw/watched. any comments/help appreciated

I'm simulating 10yds @ 9 ft. the last part of the video when I'm trying hands on my head was just me trying a different position my buddy told me some competitions require that, and I had never done it before hence the miss.

for grins this is a video of my draw before watching any videos/practicing dry firing, It's embarrassing to even watch it now.

If possible it might help to watch your video in slow motion to look for areas of improvement. The couple of things I saw were in the beginning movements. First your pulling up your shirt. Your shirt is fully pulled up your chest before you start the movement of drawing your pistol. The second part is you are (at least a few times) releasing your shirt before the pistol is fully drawn. Try and get this more a single motion of doing both at the same time with the shirt clear just slightly ahead of the draw.

I wanted to ask if others see a difference in there draw & shoot times between dry and live fire? Im averaging slightly over a half second added to my live fire and wanted to see if this was normal or whether just me being more cautious with live ammo. Im sure its the latter but figured Id ask. Also I know whats suggested for dry fire practice but wondering how much others dedicate to live fire draw and shoot drills. I usually just do one mag at the end of my session, if Im alone on the range.

My gap is (last time I live fired) similar. I'd say my live fire is anywhere from .6x-.8x slower on the draw.

I'm in the midst of a dry spell at the moment, but I think that when I get back to live fire I'm going to focus more intently on specific drills when at the range. As in spend almost the entire visit on a single drill/skill. That way I can build one thing up, and then the next. Trying to build 100 skills at once seems to really build none for me. I think if working draws it's important to fire more than once, to make sure the grip is honest.

-You don't grab your cover garment in the same place every time. Sometimes it's the hem near the weapon, sometimes it's closer to support side.
    -You don't move the garment the same way. Sometimes it goes higher than others. Sometimes it goes to the side. If you dial that in it'll help a lot
    -You don't move both your hands at the same time.
    -Try it without the trigger press. I've found myself getting the trigger press before the sights were settle to be faster. I didn't do it intentionally though. If you are trying to build speed working with a par time and no trigger works well. It makes sure that you have a real sight picture and aren't going fast with the trigger for times sake. I think Ernest Langdon is the one who said "The sights are the gas pedal, not the trigger". Ben Steoger advocates for draw practice with the trigger press to emphasize sights as well.
    -Explode. A real burst of as fast as you can move your arms.
    -Pay attention on the reholster. Look, lean, take a step back with that side if you can. It doesn't hurt anything and gives you some extra safety. It takes almost no effort, and is a good habit.

It's easy for me to sit here and poke holes in your draw, and I don't mean it to be like that. You have something down that I really struggle with. You don't turtle or hunch your shoulders/neck. I have a terrible habit of bringing my eyes down to the gun a little, and my shoulders shrug. It tenses me up to much, and makes it harder to say visually focused. You seem to not have that issue at all, and I wish I could do better about that. Stick with this and youll be doin awesome man.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    My gap is (last time I live fired) similar. I'd say my live fire is anywhere from .6x-.8x slower on the draw.

I'm in the midst of a dry spell at the moment, but I think that when I get back to live fire I'm going to focus more intently on specific drills when at the range. As in spend almost the entire visit on a single drill/skill. That way I can build one thing up, and then the next. Trying to build 100 skills at once seems to really build none for me. I think if working draws it's important to fire more than once, to make sure the grip is honest.
    I think Im the opposite with spending too much time on a single drill/skill but I'll get obsessed w doing one thing till I can master it.

You have something down that I really struggle with. You don't turtle or hunch your shoulders/neck. I have a terrible habit of bringing my eyes down to the gun a little, and my shoulders shrug.
    -Cory
    I just recently noticed that I think Im doing the same thing although my shot groups are great and im not having a problem focusing. I recently bought a set of the video cam glasses. Figured I would try them out w shooting. The damn things dont seem to work for me though. I even bought a second pair thinking the first werent working. I must be hanging my head or something but when Im wearing them I only get a low angle and see from like my wrists on back to my elbows in the video, no gun or targets. Seems to work fine when the gf uses them. Its really pissing me off...

User Tag List