Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Park Police officer accidentally shoots himself while fighting raccoon

Rabid critters are batshit insane, period.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Park Police officer accidentally shoots himself while fighting raccoon

Raccoons can be vicious fighters.

We used to raise chickens and coons were always a problem. If a coon can get ahold of any part of a chicken through the chicken wire, it can and will pull it out through the wire. Visualize that scene.

One time we were trying to trap one, and after a few nights of no luck dad didn't take the .22 with him as he swung by the trap on his way to the truck. Flashlight hits the coon in the trap and he hits the end of the chain MAD. He's barely got a toe caught and dad was worried he wouldn't have time to make it back and get the gun, so he picks up a garden tool next to the chicken coop - kind of like a garden weasel, but with rollers like a disc instead of spikes? Basically it's a couple lb of steel at the end of a stick. Like a 2.5# sledge with a rake handle. Dad swings it as hard as he can and cracks the coon in the head, dazed him and snaps off the head of the tool. Now he's just got a stick and an even mor pissed off coon. Naturally he proceeds to keep swinging with what's left of the stick and proceeds to break it a couple more times before he manages to beat it to death.

A big boar coon definitely isn't something to be trifled with....
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 11-04-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Dealt with a distempered raccoon at work one day that survived the following:

1. Struck and run over by a school bus.
    2. Thrown into a PD garbage can by another officer that witnessed the tragedy. He thought it was dead.
    3. Partially compacted by garbage truck an hour later.
    4. Escaping from truck when driver stopped the compacter thinking that coon was a cat.
    5. Jumping out of the garbage truck and promptly being kicked in the face by me as it rushed me as I exited the PD.
    6. Bashed in the head by me with the shovel the garbage truck driver tossed me.
    7. Running away toward the building and getting its head stuck in the railing by the back door.
    8. Me putting the shovel tip on top of its neck and jumping on it with my 200+ pounds. The neck made a very loud crack.
    9. Squeezing itself through the railing bars, falling 15' onto the concrete steps below and almost landing top of the dispatcher having a smoke break.

The fall into the edge of a step finally finished it off. Almost killed the dispatcher as well with a heart attack.
    Last edited by iWander; 11-05-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Raccoons can be vicious fighters.

We used to raise chickens and coons were always a problem. If a coon can get ahold of any part of a chicken through the chicken wire, it can and will pull it out through the wire. Visualize that scene.

One time we were trying to trap one, and after a few nights of no luck dad didn't take the .22 with him as he swung by the trap on his way to the truck. Flashlight hits the coon in the trap and he hits the end of the chain MAD. He's barely got a toe caught and dad was worried he wouldn't have time to make it back and get the gun, so he picks up a garden tool next to the chicken coop - kind of like a garden weasel, but with rollers like a disc instead of spikes? Basically it's a couple lb of steel at the end of a stick. Like a 2.5# sledge with a rake handle. Dad swings it as hard as he can and cracks the coon in the head, dazed him and snaps off the head of the tool. Now he's just got a stick and an even mor pissed off coon. Naturally he proceeds to keep swinging with what's left of the stick and proceeds to break it a couple more times before he manages to beat it to death.

A big boar coon definitely isn't something to be trifled with....
    They don't give up!

Personally experienced- took 3 rounds of foster slugs from a 12g to finally stop it. Turns out the head is more fur than structure.

Agency record- A raccoon was attacking a horse. 12 pistol rounds later it was finally dead-- the raccoon I mean. Did I mention this was 12 rounds of 357mag from a GP100? We occasionally still give him crap about that, especially when he complains about the cost of training ammo now that he's on the admin side.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Raccoon vs. .44 Magnum... The Magnum won. Twice. The third retreated.
    I poked a raccoon with a medium power 44 semi wadcutter in a tree once. It thumped down onto the ground, I went over to investigate,...no raccoon.

Shot a skunk with a couple Cor-bon 9mm HP loads. It was still mobile according to someone else that was there at the time, he finished it off. Shot one skunk with a 30-30 softpoint. It turned it inside out, like a bomb had been in it. Critters are tougher than we like to think. I'll stay with either 30-30 or maybe 357 mag or larger for critters in the future. Any raccoons will get appropriate welcome.

Many years ago, when we lived in a rural part of CT, we had a raccoon getting into our garbage at night. I left a Benelli full of buck with a SF fore end, near the bed. Dog let out a bark in the middle of the night, and sure enough the raccoon was in the garbage cans. I went out on the porch, and emptied seven rounds of buck into that raccoon, and it just crawled off in the bushes. Dead in the morning, thirty yards away.

I also shot two, presumably rabid raccoons, one with a .45 1911 trying to get into a screened sliding door, and it just ran off and died in the bushes. Also had one come after an earlier Vizsla, and I whacked it with a G23, to have it crawl off.

They seem tough out of proportion to their size. I was especially deflated after the Benelli incident.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Crazy, aint it?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I also shot two, presumably rabid raccoons, one with a .45 1911 .
    If that coon had a 1911, he wasn't rabid, he was classy.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    This is right down my lane. I worked for a while as a trapper for USDA wildlife services. Part of my job was trapping, shooting, or otherwise collecting raccoons for a rabies study. I've killed hundreds of them. All I can say is be glad raccoons don't grow to 200 pounds, or they would kill us all. A pissed off raccoon is the most vicious animal I've ever encountered, and I've trapped, hunted, or killed pretty much every animal that lives in the south east. I'd rather fight a 100 pound bulldog than a 20 pound raccoon. I've seen them soak up lead as others have mentioned. I've shot them out of 80 foot tall oak trees, watched them hit the ground and then run off. If you've ever heard a group of raccoons fighting in the woods at night, it's the scariest sound ever. I also had one as a pet for several years. They are incredibly smart and can escape from almost any cage. The only way you can be sure they are dead is to remove the brain stem (which we had to do to send to the CDC for rabies testing).

User Tag List