Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my JMCustom holster

Just got my JMCustom holster

I got my JMCustom AIWB holster a few days ago. I chose a split-loop (solid, not soft) with no sweat-guard and a foam wedge.

It appears to be a solid holster that's well-made. The solid, split-loop belt loops lock the gun and holster in place which I'm coming to quickly appreciate. And here's the kicker....the higher ride of the holster is actually more comfortable than my current holster (leather AIWB that sits a little lower).

With that in mind, I've got a few questions:

1. Does anyone use the soft loops? The solid seems to work really well but it also adds some bulk. I'm wondering if the soft loops would have a little more of a minimal print without sacrificing stability.
    2. For those using the foam wedge, is there a trick or certain pattern for trimming it down? As it comes the gun is canted about 25 degrees into my belly. I'm going to need to trim it down considerably.
    3. SLG - if you catch this - what belt were you using when we met up? I'm not finding my Uncle Mike's nylon belt to be the most convenient for this type of holster.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ER_STL; 11-03-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    I got my JMCustom AIWB holster a few days ago. I chose a split-loop (solid, not soft) with no sweat-guard and a foam wedge.

It appears to be a solid holster that's well-made. The solid, split-loop belt loops lock the gun and holster in place which I'm coming to quickly appreciate. And here's the kicker....the higher ride of the holster is actually more comfortable than my current holster (leather AIWB that sits a little lower).

With that in mind, I've got a few questions:

1. Does anyone use the soft loops? The solid seems to work really well but it also adds some bulk. I'm wondering if the soft loops would have a little more of a minimal print without sacrificing stability.
    2. For those using the foam wedge, is there a trick or certain pattern for trimming it down? As it comes the gun is canted about 25 degrees into my belly. I'm going to need to trim it down considerably.
    3. SLG - if you catch this - what belt were you using when we met up? I'm not finding my Uncle Mike's nylon belt to be the most convenient for this type of holster.

Thanks!
    ER_STL, thanks for the business. We include a little diagram with instructions on how to trim the wedge down, check your box or bubble wrap.A serrated blade works best ( a good serrated steak knife works great). Turn it on edge so the male velcro is facing either right or left. Trim the thickest portion of the wedge in small increments (1/8"-1/4" cuts at a time) and cut parallel with the male Velcro. Hope that's clear as mud
    Last edited by Tony Mayer; 11-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

JMC's appendix holster is the only one I've gotten to work consistently and comfortably. I love it.

I've always used the split loops. I've used soft loops on other holsters in the past and I don't think they offer anything over the split loops other than the ability to take the holster off without unthreading your belt. I've never had the loops print; you'd have to be carrying a very small gun to worry about the loops imo.

I use the "extra tuck" feature, where he essentially molds the equivalent of the foam wedge into the holster itself. I've played with wedges in the past but found the extra tuck to be the best solution for me. Probably too late for this to be useful info anyway.

I'm not SLG but I use an Ares Aegis with my JMCs and love it. May be similar to your UM. The biggest thing I've found to be important is the infinite adjustability (as opposed to holes punched in a leather belt which are always too tight or too loose).
    Join FPC

Just as a data point, the Aker B21 belt (reinforced) fits my JMCK George holster perfectly. (Mine are 15 years old but they appear to be similar except for one of mine is steel lined, the other polymer...and the keeper has been gussied up some on the new ones.)
    Last edited by blues; 11-03-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm carrying a P320sc in a JMCK straight drop with soft loops at 3 o'clock. I love the setup but do find the soft loops tend to turn a little so unless I have my belt cranked down I sometimes find the straight drop turns into slightly canted.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I'm carrying a P320sc in a JMCK straight drop with soft loops at 3 o'clock. I love the setup but do find the soft loops tend to turn a little so unless I have my belt cranked down I sometimes find the straight drop turns into slightly canted.
    VolGrad, try crossing the soft loops, it will hold tighter to the belt that way.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Glad you like the holster. I personally would not trim the foam at all. It will compress some over time, but give it a week or so and some good practice sessions and see if it is really a problem as it is. You can always make it smaller...

I was wearing a Liger belt. They're just fine, but plenty of good belts are out there today. I also like Wilderness belts a lot. 5 stitch instructor, of course, no insert. FF version is lighter, and may be lower profile, but maybe not. Check your PM's...

Fwiw I had to trim the foam and on my jmck aiwb holster. It's more comfortable now for sure.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Glad you like the holster. I personally would not trim the foam at all. It will compress some over time, but give it a week or so and some good practice sessions and see if it is really a problem as it is. You can always make it smaller...

I was wearing a Liger belt. They're just fine, but plenty of good belts are out there today. I also like Wilderness belts a lot. 5 stitch instructor, of course, no insert. FF version is lighter, and may be lower profile, but maybe not. Check your PM's...

I second this. Give it a week or two. Then trim if still necessary. Mine is perfect now without trimming.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    VolGrad, try crossing the soft loops, it will hold tighter to the belt that way.
    Thanks for the tip Tony. I'll try that when I don't need to cross over a belt loop. That's one of the reasons I love the soft loops - crossing belt loops - which can be done with a split hard loop but then you can't easy on/off like you can with soft loops.

User Tag List