Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "You should run!"

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I like this type of conversation, specifically because there is a time and place to run....to cover, to safety, because your gun isn't doing what you want or because you just out of weapons/ammo/time.

The above video depicts, more or less, the worst case scenario if you are by your self. You are walking to your vehicle and realize you are waist deep in a BLM/anti-white person protest. He tried to run, there is no running. But standing and (fist fighting) isn't going to work either, so what should he do? Well he did exactly what would have happened regardless of him running or fighting, he was not prepared for that situation and he paid for it in his own blood (though I think he lived...?). In this type of mass attack situation, running is very much a good tactic, but only because you want to thin out the aggressors. On top of that you want to be able to prove you did everything in your power to escape instead of using force on a large group of people. Though, it may have been justified immediately after the first several volleys of attacks - no one can reasonably be expected to (fist) fight against numerous (possibly armed) attackers. Running will get you out of the big groups attack/sights and will let you face off with several persons. At that point you are with your back to a wall and any reasonable amount of force required to meet and overcome the force you are presented with can (and should) be used.

Say this guy was armed, Glock 19, extra mag, a little blade. He manages to fend off one or two by parrying and striking, he's skilled at unarmed combat. Then four or five of these urban youth decide its time to go big and half a dozen start to attack him at once. Would deadly force be reasonable? At what point? The moment you are grabbed from every side? The moment you hit the ground? The moment you get kicked in the face? At what point is standing your ground completely reasonable and, not only necessary, but required for your survival? Do you have the tools to overcome this type of fast moving/developing situation? Would running away be an option here even if you were Usain Bolt?
    This is, coincidentally, the very same video that he sent me.

To be clear, I am specifically talking about the mindset of "I'll just run" as if it is an answer in and of itself. Running to cover, stacking attackers, high ground are all outside of what I was alluding to in the OP.

I know I couldn't outrun this group.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

My fiance just had a hip replaced. If I'm with her, then I CAN'T run, so it's El Pres Meets Gordon of Khartoum until the ammo is gone.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Since gardone had used the stereotypical dialect and broken the ice of "I'm not trying to sound racist.."

In my mind running ain't gonna work for this dude. As a fellow whitey, you're just not gonna outrun some young African American dudes..
    I'm not the internet police, but what GVT said is nothing like what you said. I've not only outrun "some young African American dudes.", I've run them down while in uniform and with 25#'s of gear on me. This is not to say that running is the correct option for everyone everytime, but rather that I wouldn't stereotype people in this discussion, even if you're "not trying to sound racist."

Not only is it good social policy, it is also good legal policy that goes directly to the point of this thread.

Although I knew it was a stereotype, I meant nothing bad by it. In regards to being similar to gardones post, I was referencing in which he gave the potential aggressors a particular dialect. Maybe I'm just slow and out of shape.
    Last edited by Luke; 11-03-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    i used to wannabe

For anyone saying they couldn't physically compete (out run or create distance), outside of factors such as family with you or physical disability like a recent surgery, maybe that's a clue that you should get into shape.. really not trying to be rude but I know plenty of people of all ages that are in great shape and could "compete", using ethnic background as an excuse is just that, an excuse.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 11-03-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    For anyone saying they couldn't physically compete (out run or create distance), outside of factors such as family with you or physical disability like a recent surgery, maybe that's a clue that you should get into shape.. really not trying to be rude but I know plenty of people of all ages that are in great shape and could "compete", using ethnic background as an excuse is just that, an excuse.
    In my case I simply cannot use running as a training method anymore because of a chronic problem with my Achilles tendons. The fact that everywhere around here where it is decent for running is also very hilly, which makes the problem with the tendons worse.

I do stay in shape using other methods though. It's just that running is out, therefore I'm pretty sure any speed I used to have has diminished.
    Last edited by Robinson; 11-03-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    In my case I simply cannot use running as a training method anymore because of a chronic problem with my Achilles tendons. The fact that everywhere around here where it is decent for running is also very hilly, which makes the problem with the tendons worse.

I do stay in shape using other methods though. It's just that running is out, therefore I'm pretty sure any speed I used to have has diminished.
    Exactly why I included the recent surgery, I should of added if you had a disability in general, sorry. Obviously your steps to diffusing, using force, or decision making will be influenced by that limitation. I am no expert on handling deadly situations, just someone who has been in one before. My physical fitness and ability was just as important as my shooting poweress. That is partyly the reason why I focus as much or more on physical fitness.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 11-03-2016 at 12:22 PM.

I can run. And if my life depended on it I could probably go all out for close to a mile (guessing as it hurts to run so I don't)At what point do you decide you are prepared enough and don't need to go further. I'm guessing it's like pistol training, your always learning and getting better. But define "in shape". If I can run a mile? 2 miles? Do I need to be able to run a half marathons. I'm not racist. I don't discriminate based on age, gender, race, sex, or any other special snow flake stuff.

As somebody who has spent many years on a soccer field, dabbled in baseball, foot ball, basket ball, and more, lots of time spent running along side people. 99% of the time there seems to be a speed edge to a certain type of player. This is not always true, and there is nothing bad about it in my mind. This is one of those things where nothing I can say will come out right and I probably shouldn't even be saying this. If I could rewind time I'd never have posted.
    Last edited by Luke; 11-03-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Being in shape = great idea.

Being able to fight with your empty hands = great idea.

There is exactly zero legal responsibility to be in any particular physical condition or possess any particular level of expertise in the fighting arts, nor should there be.

ETA: I mean for generic private citizens.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 11-03-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Running from a ranged weapon is a bad idea. Prey runs. Running triggers predator responses. Think that through.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-03-2016 at 12:46 PM.

User Tag List