Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "You should run!"

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I mentioned it in my review of the Salomon Speedcross, where I talked about heel drop.

This is super important when you do anything extended on your feet relating to running (even though walking requires a specific type as well).

In high school I ran distance, when my knees, ankles, hips and lower back hurt I thought it was because I was just getting a workout in that area. That's not the case.

Every shoe has a "mileage" that can be put on it, just like tires. Except with shoes the material, the heel drop, the stiffness, etc really matter, especially if you are having pain when walking and/or running.

If you are having issues with with pain or are just looking for an edge in performance, you should seek out a running shoe shop or a doctor who will have a treadmill and can record you walking and running, along with an XRAY (though its not really necessary but still good to have eventually). They will conduct a Gait Analysis and then recommend to you, in writing, what your preferred shoe description should be, with heel drop range, and a dozen other points to consider.

When I was really heavy into running I would go through a pair of $150 New Balance running shoes every two months, but I was running more than 200 miles a month and they were rated for about 450 miles. I would feel my knees hurt and my ankles ache after a while and I knew it wasn't me, it was the shoes. I got a new pair and I didn't feel the aches and pain anymore.

This is one of the reasons why I really like Salomon shoes, and my current EDC Adidas Terrex Fast-R. Zero pain until they get to about the mileage point.

How do you know when the mileage point is up without keeping track? Well, you will probably start feeling a lot of pain if you are standing on them for most of a day or go run two miles, the pain will likely be unbearable in your joints.
    Yes, shoes. Beginners always want to start with cheap shoes; don't do it. Good shoes, the right shoes make a huge difference. Experienced runners often run too long in a pair of shoes. I read somewhere that if you're an avid runner, you should have two or three different pairs of shoes to rotate during the week. Yeah I know; expensive.

Since the discussion turned to cardio, these are my personal thoughts. Every time someone says cardio, the first word said is generally run. Not a bad thing, but not the only way to get your cardio on either. Personally I think to be in the very best condition possible one needs to do ALL of the "tri" sports. Each one offers something a little different. But now we're talking a lot of time. And if you add fight practice/grappling practice and weight training, both also essential; you're really talking a lot of time.

Running is the least time consuming of the tri sports while still getting a decent workout. Depending on your fitness level, most people can get a decent run done in 30 minutes to an hour, so somewhere around 3-7 miles or maybe a little further.

Swimming for most is an awesome cardio/general body workout. For me, it's fairly time consuming. It takes me somewhere around 1.5 to 2 hours to swim 2 or 2.5 miles. Slow by triathlon standards, but about the best I can do or could do as of about six weeks ago.

Cycling is the most time consuming to me. To use it for conditioning requires long, hard rides. While I've done a little cycling, I admit that I hate it, so I don't do it. But I have done it and I see the benefits of it.

For both cycling and running embrace the hills. Seek them out and go for it. Hills make you stronger and better; period.

For those who don't like any of the above; the stairclimber that has ever revolving stairs is actually a good workout. You have to push the pace/level, but you can get a good workout in about 45 minutes. And yes, you're going to breathe hard because that machine engages a large muscle group; your quads.

Just my opinion based on my experience.

Running is okay cardio. I don't advocate running being the only cardio or exercise routine someone does.

Longer is not better, faster is not always better. Indian runs or interval paces are best. Switching between long and short days, sprint and distance is best.

When I was much more into running I'd like max 2.5 miles at any given day and I'd do a sprint interval day. In between them id do some sort of full body workout.

100 burpees for time seems to work really well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Dan John's 10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge has worked well for me. It is easy to find on T-Nation Articles.

20 workouts I do 3 a week.

5 Rounds

Each round is: 10 swings + 1 rep of an auxiliary exercise, 15 swings 2 reps aux. ex., 25 swings 3 reps aux. ex., 50 swings.

Total 500 swings and 30 auxiliary exercise reps.

Auxiliary exercise can be many things, I alternate days Dumbell clean and press and pullups. Use a weight that you can barely do 5 reps with. Pick 2 you need work on.

Rest 1-2 min between rounds. Work toward getting the workout done in 30 minutes. Dan suggests guys use 24KG KB and lwomen use 16KG KB.

When I get to consistently < 30 minutes total I go to the 28KG KB and add weight to the auxiliary exercise.

Because of stage 4 arthritis in left knee, a lot of running is not for me. I am 59, 192 lbs, 6'.

For the past year I have been alternating periods (6-12 weeks each)of this with Tactical Barbell's Operator program using Trap Bar Deadlift and 45 degree incline press.
    Last edited by 1slow; 11-10-2016 at 11:50 PM.

As far as the "Just run" argument... it's a tool in the toolbox. When a situation calls for running I am able. There are scenarios where I would not choose to use that particular tool, and might select a different one. In the video presented I would not select it. I would try to shoot my firearm to slidelock as many times as I could. If I find myself without the ability to do so any longer, I would reevaluate and see what I need to do. If I still am outnumbered and have threats then I'm going to use whatever I can to end the situation or remove myself from it. Ideally I'd get in a car and put it in drive. Who knows, I haven't been there. I do know if my pregnant wife is with me running will still be I the toolbox long after I've used everything else.

I've run about 118 miles since march. I'm no expert, and I don't run half as much as many people. I probably run further than some folks, and not as far as others. I'm sure I'm faster then some, slower then others. I run more frequently then some, not as frequent as others. My bare minimum distance is 2 miles. My long term goal is to beat a personal best of 15minutes. I'm slowly closing in on it. My 5k goal is 8 minute miles. I've beat that a few times. I'm hoping to become more consistent at it. Cold has ended my running for the season, but my new job involved walking an astonishing amount of miles a day. So my cardio is staying decent I hope. If you want to add me on runkeeper I'd be glad too.

I'm lapping everyone on the couch. The point isn't necessarily to go out there and be the best. The point is to go out there, and be MY best.

Something a lot of folks in the "timmy" world seem to forget is this: Life is worth enjoying. I go out there and run to keep myself in decent shape, and because it makes me feel good about myself. I dry practice, because I want to find out how good I can be with my pistol. And I enjoy it. Often times we self defense practitioners get so wrapped up in doing everything we can do be some ultimate badass character like TPI's mythical "Todd" that we forget to enjoy ourselves doing it. Yes, go out there and improve yourself at shooting, running, lifting, fighting, medical, and everything else. But if you don't enjoy the journey to proficiency you'll be really good at something and hate every second. I'd much rather go out and learn things that make me a more well rounded defense oriented person, and have a good time doing it than feel I'm obligated to go do a bunch of shit people on the web tell me I must. Do what you can, and improve where you can, and challenge yourself to enjoy getting better. At whatever that is.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 11-13-2016 at 03:23 PM.

User Tag List