Thread: Does kinetic energy matter? (hunting related question)

Does kinetic energy matter? (hunting/academic related question)

I'm busy comparing 55gr and 75gr Gold Dot ammunition. Due to the MV and BC differences between the two, they cross over, velocity-wise at 200 yards, and about 2000fps. They open up identically in all of the gel data I have seen.

-1800-2000fps is about the limit for when TSC begins to stop being a wounding mechanism.
    -The gel data I have seen for the 55 and 75gr rounds show that given identical expansion, the 75gr will penetrate roughly 2.5" further than the 55gr loading.
    -They both seem to expand identically, as they have the "same nose".

The 75gr round at 200 yards carries 655# of KE, and the 55gr round carries 479# of energy. Almost a 200# KE differential at the same 2000-ish fps velocity. This is significant in proportion, at nearly 30% of an increase.

That said, both are going to expand to about .35" across and penetrate 15-18".

Is the 200# of KE "worth anything" terminally? Or does it matter a hill of beans?

I personally consider 200 yards as my limit for .223 on deer, with a good broad-side shot on a still target. I am a 2MOA on-demand shooter, with my rifle/scope/ammo, first clean/cold-bore shot, and that is where I draw my confidence level at for any shot at any animal, given range estimation abilities and the terminal effects of the .223 on a <200# animal. I am simply wondering if going out and buying 75gr GDSP is worth it, or if the KE differential is absolutely meaningless given identical expansion, similar penetration, and identical velocity, on-target.

The other aspect of this: I am curious. I like to learn. If you disagree with the application or sensibility or procurement aspect, that's fine. This post is a learning/RFI post. Not a financial or hunting advice post.

*Now, some of you are against the .223 for deer at all. I don't really want to start that argument. I am comfortable and have used it with great success on the local deer (<200#), and that's that as far as I'm concerned. So if you don't like it. Hey, I get ethical fast kills with it. That's what counts > opinion. Rock on and do as you please, but let's discuss it over PM or something instead of this thread.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-03-2016 at 03:05 AM.

Bullet placement is #1.

Bullet construction is #2.

Bullet weight is #3, and in that regard heavier bullets for a specific caliber have been considered to have the edge,with the caveat that a copper bullet will often be lighter than a lead bullet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Would switching from 55 gr. to 75 gr. give you a significant POA/POI shift from your normal training/practice ammo?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Would switching from 55 gr. to 75 gr. give you a significant POA/POI shift from your normal training/practice ammo?
    Several MOA. Mainly it's the pain of stocking it. I just shot some .223 55gr Gold Dot and am very pleased with it. It went through 2 water jugs and into the 3rd. One thing I noticed is that the "mushroom" held up MUCH better on the 55gr, even though it impacted at around 2750fps (I was getting over 3000 at the muzzle, and 2530's at 100 yards. 16" barrel.) I'll post some comparo pix later today.

The Golden Mean - 64gr. Gold Dot

Quote Originally Posted by 357carbine View Post
    The Golden Mean - 64gr. Gold Dot
    True, but my 55gr Gold Dot has more velocity at 100 yards than the 64 does coming out of the tube, nearly. That kindof agitates me, lol

While this is a hunting thread, not an SD thread, I still prefer the heavier bullet. The same characteristics that make a good barrier blind load apply to hunting aspects as well such as shooting through bone like a shoulder shot for example or having less deflection if you are shooting through light brush.

It is the nature of most of us to do what you are doing and go through the annual mental gymnastics, in regards to loads, guns, optics, etc. That said, coming from someone who has been using .223s on all manner of critters for quite a few years, STOP.

55 grain soft points have been dropping deer in their tracks by the truck loads for a long time now. Don't sweat it at all. Make your first shot, your best shot. Double lung them, eat a snicker's bar (wait 3 minutes) and go collect your dead deer.

Name:  flowchart-2007.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  28.5 KB

You're not marrying a woman that doesn't love you. Try the 75gr if it works out for the better, great. If it doesn't just hit the rewind button and go back to what worked.

There's an argument for why screw with something that you know works, and an argument that embracing small improvements over time leads to big changes.
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-07-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List