Thread: Orlando Medical Center's Response to Pulse Nightclub Shooting.

Hammertime

Orlando Medical Center's Response to Pulse Nightclub Shooting.

"ORMC holds monthly “trauma alert” training drills with local EMS agencies, and three months before the Pulse mass shooting, the facility participated in a tri-county active shooter scenario mass casualty intake drill."

This is a good article for those interested in the hospital trauma response to the Pulse shooting in Orlando.

http://bulletin.facs.org/2016/11/orl...club-shooting/

Overall they did very well in this situation.

"Second, our disaster plan did not anticipate the post-event counseling needs of hospital staff in the aftermath of an event of this magnitude. The sheer volume of victims, the catastrophic nature of their injuries, and the belief that an active shooter situation was occurring within the hospital perimeter all placed a significant psychological burden on our team members. We began both individual and group counseling sessions within hours of the event. "

Now just imagine what happens when an active shooter clues in to the idea that hospitals are "gun free zones" with tons of potential victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Now just imagine what happens when an active shooter clues in to the idea that hospitals are "gun free zones" with tons of potential victims.
    ORMC is not a 'gun free' zone.

Most hospitals are.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    ORMC is not a 'gun free' zone.
    Really? Most of them down here are. It used to be possible to ignore their policies, but now they all have metal detectors and restricted entrance. They don't freak if you're carrying a gun, but they won't let you in with it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The only hospital with single point of entry & metal detector is Arnold Palmer. All the ERs have metal detectors and armed security staffing.
    Winnie Palmer, ORMC, DPH and South Seminole all allow firearms and have access to the hospitals with metal detectors.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    The only hospital with single point of entry & metal detector is Arnold Palmer. All the ERs have metal detectors and armed security staffing.
    Winnie Palmer, ORMC, DPH and South Seminole all allow firearms and have access to the hospitals with metal detectors.
    Cool. Thanks for the information. I have never been to a hospital that did not prohibit weapons, even in gun friendly Arizona.

They do have signs posted that say "No Weapons" with the little circle & line crossing out pistols & knives, but there is small print under that stating "Except per FL Statute 790.??? (I don't remember the exact extension, but it's the one defining legal concealed carry for permit holders).

Kinda misleading unless you take time to research it.

I don't recall seeing any signs at the hospitals around me. I went to the ER once, was already inside giving info, then had that "oh shit!" moment and handed off my gun to my buddy that drove me in.

User Tag List