Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles travel info

No one mentioned the Autry Museum yet? Adjacent to Griffith Park, near Burbank. Also consider the Petersen Auto Museum if you like cars. It's on Wilshire Blvd in West LA. Check out Philippe's near downtown/Chinatown for some original french dip sandwiches (try the lamb).

Also be aware that the traffic never lets up, it is a 24/7 phenomenon now. Allow plenty of driving time, one crash in the wrong spot and the whole LA basin comes to a stop.
    Last edited by LtDave; 11-02-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

And Langers Deli....love the number 5!
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

Also be aware that the traffic never lets up, it is a 24/7 phenomenon now. ..
    Oh man, the other week my wife's plane got in super-late and I was on the 405 at something like 1:30 in the morning. Traffic was still moving pretty fast, but it was crowded even with 6 lanes in one direction. Where are all these people going that time of night? And if I want to miss traffic towards the airport in the morning I have to leave at like 5:30am.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    El Tepeyac Cafe, 812 N Evergreen in Boyle Heights. Get a Hollenbeck Burrito......likely see many East LA gang members and cops. It's one of those "need to do once" to say you did.
    IDK, that seems pretty close to violating the 3S rule Especially for those of us who can't legally carry.

Site Supporter
    Perversely trying to make Olong jealous since he lifted my spirits today. Cellphone pic from my meeting room at work just now...

Although we live in the Los Angeles area, we don't get out much except for the Getty Center (405 and Mulholland), the Getty Villa (Malibu), and sometimes the La Brea Tar Pits (mid-Wilshire area). If you're in Griffith Park, the Observatory is interesting. If you enjoy ballroom dancing competition, the Emerald Ball is the first week of May, 2017. It's pretty high level dancing. The Fountain Theater in Hollywood sometimes offers excellent Flamenco dancers. Flamenco will grow on you. It starts with the guitar and spreads to the dancing. That's all I can think of right now. Like most folks, we're kind of stuck in our daily routine and don't normally spin beyond our usual orbit.

What about googling for "Things to do in Los Angeles" or "Los Angeles Tours"? Thing is, the guys who put these tours together are in the business of aggregating the most popular places and then linking them in a way so it's not too far between stops. You may not want to actually take a tourist Tour of course, but the places they visit might be places you'd like. You can use that data to link your own stops together, if you wish.

And if you get as far south as San Diego, please consider the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Its a wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    IDK, that seems pretty close to violating the 3S rule Especially for those of us who can't legally carry.
    You want to see LA....that is LA. Also.....it is kind of like a neutral country. You are more likely to find more cops there than most stations.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

LA Zoo, Travel Town, William S. Hart Ranch, Santa Barbara Mission, Lompoc Mission, NASA tour at Edwards AFB, the aviation museum in Santa Monica, Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica (lots of street performers after dark and weekends), the Unurban coffee house (they have an open mic poetry reading), the Cow's End (coffee house and I think tobaconist) where Washington meets the beach, Martin B. Retting's (one of the last of the famous gun shops in Cali from back in the day)

Gene Autry Museum, Travel Town (trains), LA Zoo and Griffith Park Observatory are all within a couple of miles from each other.

East of the 405 and south of the 10 is a world famous model train shop that's been there since the 40s. It's got some cool layouts with trains constantly running.

There's a great Mexican restaurant in Santa Monica that's just off (if I recall) Santa Monica Blvd. Been there many decades. Awesome food. Can't remember the name. It has valet parking.

There is also a great steak house on Olympic just west of the 405. Again, I don't recall the name, but it's worth finding (yeah, I know. Fat lot of help I am)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-02-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Forgot- there's an old Nike missile site in the Santa Monica Mountains west of Sepulveda Pass. Take Mulholland Drive west from the 405 until it turns into dirt. Park and hike the dirt road about a mile or so to the Nike site. Or, take mountain bikes. It's a fantastic mountain biking area with a bunch of good trails
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"East of the 405 and south of the 10 is a world famous model train shop that's been there since the 40s. It's got some cool layouts with trains constantly running."

This will shock GJM....but, I spent my youth running to that shop from my grandmothers house that was a block away every single weekend for most of my life up till the age of about 15 (a drivers license changes your priorities....and girls). It is Allied Model trains. It is actually at a newer location. It used to be at Pico and Overland. My uncle used to buy stuff there as a kid in the 40's. I still have those trains that were purchased there.

Now as far as Pirates...that is why I love Disneyland. By far my favorite ride. I have been to Disneyland several hundred times and for us SoCal natives...it is a big part of our lives.

These days, when I go to California two things I try to do....be near the ocean, which you can do from Oxnard easily, and the mountains. If it was me....do a day in downtown just to say you did LA, and then I would spend time in Santa Barbara instead of driving all over traffic plagued LA.

User Tag List