Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles travel info

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Hey here's a quick question – what's the defensive tools situation in CA? I was planning on bringing a surefire, a folder, a sub 3" fixed blade, and my "coin purse" that I awesomely won at this very forum. Any issues with carrying around any of that stuff?
    1) Surefire (GOOD TO GO)
    2) A folder (a folder with a blade of any length can be carried in LA County if it is completely concealed. If it is not concealed then the blade must be less than 3" in length to be legal. Mini-griptilian)
    3) A sub 3" fixed blade. (Illegal if carried concealed. If carried openly, you will stand out.)
    4) Coin purse. (Saps are illegal).
    5) Pepper spray (legal if container has 2.5 oz. or less of spray)

Mrs and I are flying into LAX next month to get out of the Tampa heat. Plan is to get a car rental then head ‘west’ towards Santa Monica but plans are not yet firmed up.

Will use the info in the thread and update when our plan settles down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaMo is north of LAX.

There is a beach right off the west end of the runway.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-15-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Mrs and I are flying into LAX next month to get out of the Tampa heat. Plan is to get a car rental then head ‘west’ towards Santa Monica but plans are not yet firmed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich,

If you are in Santa Monica, this place is a good spot to hit, if you venture over to Venice Beach:

http://venicealehouse.com/menus/

If you want to get away from the crowds of Santa Monica/Venice, take a trip south to Hermosa Beach. This is one of the places I frequent there: https://www.northendbar.com/

North End is a great dive bar with lots of friendly folks, and great service! It’s very “Old School” Cali.

Aside from the beaches, my favorite recommendation is to hike up to the Hollywood Sign. It’s a fantastic view of the LA Basin.

Name:  63429AC8-2084-4F74-A4EF-4F9BDC0193A5.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  96.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    "East of the 405 and south of the 10 is a world famous model train shop that's been there since the 40s. It's got some cool layouts with trains constantly running."

This will shock GJM....but, I spent my youth running to that shop from my grandmothers house that was a block away every single weekend for most of my life up till the age of about 15 (a drivers license changes your priorities....and girls). It is Allied Model trains. It is actually at a newer location. It used to be at Pico and Overland. My uncle used to buy stuff there as a kid in the 40's. I still have those trains that were purchased there.

Now as far as Pirates...that is why I love Disneyland. By far my favorite ride. I have been to Disneyland several hundred times and for us SoCal natives...it is a big part of our lives.

These days, when I go to California two things I try to do....be near the ocean, which you can do from Oxnard easily, and the mountains. If it was me....do a day in downtown just to say you did LA, and then I would spend time in Santa Barbara instead of driving all over traffic plagued LA.

Hate to tell you this, but Allied closed about 4 years ago.

for pastrami, I recommend Langer's Deli adjacent to MacArthur Park, 7th and Alvarado. Get the #19. Expensive but an experience. You can see LA unfiltered while you dine
    Last edited by banzaijohn; 07-15-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banzaijohn View Post
    Hate to tell you this, but Allied closed about 4 years ago.

for pastrami, I recommend Langer's Deli adjacent to MacArthur Park, 7th and Alvarado. Get the #19. Expensive but an experience. You can see LA unfiltered while you dine
    Sad news. I still like the #5, but....we agree on Langers. Plus, you can get a fake ID while you are in the neighborhood.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

If there's time and I get to the rental car a little before sundown, I often go straight west on Imperial and park at the beach (just keep going straight when you get to the road that runs along the bluff). You can take a little walk there and watch the sun go down. I used to go sit in the car and write in that lot when I was primarily writing for a living.

SaMo is nice, but it's been a long time since I hung out there. It's worth checking out Venice on a weekend afternoon, just to see what real weird people are like.

Per the recent thread, skip anything Disney.

Since you like driving, you should check out the various canyon roads and Mulholland in the Santa Monica mountains. PM me if you want a list of some of the lesser-known ones.

This place is open 24 hours. https://www.thedonutmanca.com/ Worth it if you're anywhere close.

Check out a gun store, just to feel what it would have been like to go grocery shopping in the Soviet Union in 1983.

For sure check out the Getty. Even if you aren't an art nut, it's just a cool place to spend a little time. Great views of the city. Seeing the actual Van Goghs, with the paint that he laid on the canvas in 3D, blew my mind the first time.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Los Angeles travel info

Thanks all.

We are flying out next Thursday to LAX.

We have a couple days in Santa Barbara, then up to Big Sur staying at “Lucia Lodge”, then back to LAX back by way of Morro Bay.

Not really “Los Angeles” I guess. We missed heading down the coast from Monterey on our RV trip due to the mud slides, so we kind of wanted to see the ocean and scenery along the coast.

Does anyone know anything about the Hearst Castle in San Simeon? Is it worth going to? We’re not too far way at one point, and I’ve always wanted to see it.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-18-2019 at 03:22 PM.

If you’re interested in Hearst Castle and have a chance to tour it DO IT! You can buy tickets online. There’s a general Grand Rooms tour of the estate and Castle along with several other more specific tours that focus on different areas. I did the general tour and I would’ve liked to go on the others.

http://hearstcastle.org/
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I've been to Hearst Castle some years ago. I found it fascinating.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List