Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3" N frame 44's

Sometimes when left alone in my little shop things happen...perhaps things that shouldn't, but yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Sometimes when left alone in my little shop things happen...perhaps things that shouldn't, but yet here we are.

Pat,

Is that Dykem blue on the grip frame, or something else?

That looks like a BEAST BTW.

I am a dyed in the wool Model 29 guy, but there is something very visually appealing about the Redhawks, as opposed to the Supers, which are great guns, but not as pleasing to the eye (to me). For our 10th Anniversary my bride gave me one of the 4" ones, when they were first making them. It is truly a tank of a gun, and with such a long cylinder, it is pretty versatile in it's ability to consume loads from mild to "dang my wrist is sore".

Shown with the previously mentioned favorite 5" M29:

I don't recall if you mentioned it before, did you have that 29 cut to 5" or did it come to you that way?

I really really like the 5" N's. The 5" 27 is one I really regret turning loose of, (OK, the 6 1/2" 27 was also pretty spectacular visually and handling also)

Mr Kelleys work is great. If I had a nice shop Id be doing all sorts of retarded things to guns.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-02-2016 at 03:51 PM.

It was originally an 8&3/8ths" 29-2 that I picked up out of Montana years back.

BTW, the trick to keeping the rodents intact is when they poke their head up above the mound, shoot a few inches below the mound, and launch them into the air. Kills them stone dead, and usually keeps them in one piece!

I made a road trip of it, as I had been in the middle east and needed a break/change of scenery. I made the trip and saw an old college rodeo buddy who was going to U of M law school at the time.

Came back through Wisdom, and stopped at the bar:

Fished, at the Big Hole, as well as plinked at some rodents with my Model 39 Mountie:

When I got home, I sent the gun off to SDM Fabricating. The work on it included narrowing the trigger and polishing off the serrations, as well as setting it up to take the quick change DX style sights.

The ground squirrels were actually shot on the Idaho side, on the Pahsimeroi Valley, of Elmer Keith fame, mentioned in his writings.

Great trip, great gun.

That blue dye was there when I popped the grips off, so I don't know.

I am working on a 2nd iteration of this revolver. Integral comp on that 3.5" barrel leaving 2.3" of rifled barrel.

I did pick up a 2nd barrel and that may end up being cut, threaded and comped with a thread protector for those times
    when ya want all that muzzle flipping, hand biting recoil.

And that little Burris Fast Fire? I cobbled the mount together as well.
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 11-03-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    When I got home, I sent the gun off to SDM Fabricating...
    Do you recall roughly what the basic barrel chop and reinstall front sight cost? I covet another 27, hope to be able to get another one some day. The 8 3/8 guns seem less desirable on gunbroker, the 5" expensive. Also want to cut a 24 barrel to 5". I have one, and a factory replacement front sight and base,...and cant find them.

Been a while since I was in the Big Hole country. LOTS of Lodgepoles around there. Id try and cut a new set of tent poles when camped there. The battlefield was always interesting to see. Ive never been without a shovel since then. I think the next town that had a surplus store I bought one and always had one in my vehicle since. (If you've walked the trails at the battlefield youll know why)

There was a little gun show at Wisdom one time I went through. Surprised me there was a show in such a tiny town.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    And that little Burris Fast Fire? I cobbled the mount together as well.
    Nice work on the mount. I keep coming up with hairbrained ideas, just dont have the machinery to do them. One was combining a 1903-A3 rear sight onto a Ruger ring for a backup iron sight (similar to what you did for the fastfire mount). A cut off AR front sight turned into a ramp-ish front for a bolt gun would give some elevation adjustment and be pretty sturdy.

A Ruger base mated to a Winchester barrel would be a very unobtrusive base when not used, and allow adding a dot optic to an older 94 easily with a modified ring like you did. I used a Ruger base lowered and mounted to a 92 Browning magazine tube for a flashlight mount. Works very well.

I need a shop.....
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-03-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Sorry Malamute, I just saw your post.

I don't recall the price of the work, but it was not too unreasonable considering the work done, and by whom. Such work is never cheap, but I always wanted one Model 29 that was "Just right" instead of almost perfect.

I understand completely about the Model 24 barrel project. If I ever get my hands on a 6" or better Model 24 barrel, I am going to use it to create a 5" Mountain gun style Model 29. That would ooze coolness.

I've had a 4" for the last 20+ years that's a frequent companion when in the mountains. But now that I'm not stockpiling reloading components because of the election, I'd like a 5" myself. Anyway, very nice and practical .44. Color me jealous.
    Last edited by Wyguy; 11-14-2016 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Accidentally dropped my tablet and posted gibberish

Just wanted to update. I fired off a box of magnums out of the 3" and I was convinced of the errors of my ways. Sold the gun and I'm looking for a 5" Classic model. I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the extra length and weight as there was no way I'd ever be able to shoot enough to get good with that thing!

User Tag List