Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt adds .38 Super to the Competition line

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Add a Crimson Trace IR laser grip and you'll max out on operator points...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    FIFY

Why would you buy a single stack in 38 super? Minimum caliber for major is .40 in single stack.

What is the real advantage of .38 Super over 9mm? Between the Colt Competition and the Springfield Range Officer Is say they're pretty close. I don't like the LPA sight on the Springfield and would replace the Novak on the Colt. The Springfield seems better fit and has a better finish. The Colt is undercut but I don't find that makes any difference to me, others say it does for them. In performance they are about equal at putting holes where you want them so I'm not sure why people say the Colt is a better pistol. I think they're about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Why would you buy a single stack in 38 super? Minimum caliber for major is .40 in single stack.
    Because .38 Super is awesome and if you want to shoot SS Minor it makes you a boss. Plus .38 Super 1911s tend to be a hair easier to get to run right than 9mm guns.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Because .38 Super is awesome and if you want to shoot SS Minor it makes you a boss.
    Yes.

Plus .38 Super 1911s tend to be a hair easier to get to run right than 9mm guns.
    True but largely irrelevant because: see above.
    Last edited by TR675; 11-01-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Colt Competition is a hell of a gun, particualrly compared to its primary competitor, the Springfield Range Officer.
    That's up to debate, yeah the Colt has an undercut trigger guard and Novak sights but the FO front sight on it is rough...the blue FO is a gimmick. Also finish seems to be an afterthought plus the lack of front strap checkering and not a beveled magwell and it's still roughly $100-175 more than the Range Officer. The Range officer also has no firing pin safety to deal with along with an adjustable rear sight.

For a decent out of the box singlestack 1911 I'd pick the Sig Traditional Match 1911, blued STI Trojan for $100-$150 more. The best out of box ready to go 1911 without even having to swap sights or add a magwell is the Sig Match Michel 1911 that already has a Dawson FO front and ICE magwell.

I've been running a singlestack 1911 in IDPA/USPSA and for Colt to market their Competition 1911 as ready to go out of box to me is misleading. The idea is neat but execution leaves a lot to be desired. Now if it had a beveled magwell, nicer sights, and even front strap checkering (A $900+ 1911 should have for the price), and magazines with decent basepads it would be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    That's up to debate, yeah the Colt has an undercut trigger guard and Novak sights but the FO front sight on it is rough...the blue FO is a gimmick. Also finish seems to be an afterthought plus the lack of front strap checkering and not a beveled magwell and it's still roughly $100-175 more than the Range Officer. The Range officer also has no firing pin safety to deal with along with an adjustable rear sight.

For a decent out of the box singlestack 1911 I'd pick the Sig Traditional Match 1911, blued STI Trojan for $100-$150 more. The best out of box ready to go 1911 without even having to swap sights or add a magwell is the Sig Match Michel 1911 that already has a Dawson FO front and ICE magwell.

I've been running a singlestack 1911 in IDPA/USPSA and for Colt to market their Competition 1911 as ready to go out of box to me is misleading. The idea is neat but execution leaves a lot to be desired. Now if it had a beveled magwell, nicer sights, and even front strap checkering (A $900+ 1911 should have for the price), and magazines with decent basepads it would be good to go.
    Dude, agree 100%. I had the predecessor to the Colt Competition gun, the Colt CCG. It was a great gun and ran like a raped ape, but out of the box it wasn't "ready" for competition. While I disagree with the front strap checkering, everything else? 100% on board for. I don't understand who thinks you can market a "competition ready" 1911 that doesn't have a magwell or adjustable sights.

But that's just me, living over here in friggin' crazy town.

Site Supporter
    Dude, agree 100%. I had the predecessor to the Colt Competition gun, the Colt CCG. It was a great gun and ran like a raped ape, but out of the box it wasn't "ready" for competition. While I disagree with the front strap checkering, everything else? 100% on board for. I don't understand who thinks you can market a "competition ready" 1911 that doesn't have a magwell or adjustable sights.

But that's just me, living over here in friggin' crazy town.
    The rear sight on the CCP is an adjustable Novak. Whether that is sufficient for a competition gun is another question I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The rear sight on the CCP is an adjustable Novak. Whether that is sufficient for a competition gun is another question I guess.
    It is? That's good, I thought it was the same fixed Novak they had on the OG CCG guns. An adjustable Novak is fine I guess, but I prefer a Bomar.

Dammit, I have been trying to get the wife to sign off on a Colt Competition in 9mm. Now I have to convince her to let me buy 2 guns.

User Tag List