Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    After your so condition black in your ooda loop resettin operator mental warfare preparedness.. you have to fire the gun. Uspsa helps with that last part. The other part gets taken care of else where, with less Bullets and less fun. But usually more camo..
    I heard that multicam black is the most tacticool way of applying situational awareness in an urban, mom permissive environment.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I've actually been deep undercover for DARPA working on some of the best camouflage in the industry. It's called "overweight millennial". I can go any where and everybody thinks I'm just an average over weight 24 year old, little do they know...
    Last edited by Luke; 10-31-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Still waiting for a dead gamer.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Just off the top of my head, Jim Cirillo, Pat McNamara, Vince O'Neill, and Frank Proctor come to mind as "tactical" guys who strongly advocate shooting competition.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I sure do miss the good old days, when possessing the proper mindset and carrying a 1911 in .45 was all you needed to win every fight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I sure do miss the good old days, when possessing the proper mindset and carrying a 1911 in .45 was all you needed to win every fight.
    And every gun game...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Does either side of this debate ever read the thousands of examples compiled by the NRA on defensive gun use by private citizens? Because every month there are any number of accounts that all but dismiss any concerns about Mindset, or how to effectively run a firearm beyond which end to point at the bad guy.

Once Claude Werner got that point through my thick skull I began to consider any discussion on the matter to be little more than an interesting intellectual exercise. The guys that think Mindset is the precious will continue to argue with the guys that think skill is the Golden Fleece.... meanwhile granny with zero training and a Ruger 22 just sent some burglar hauling ass out her back door when she cracked a round off over his head. Hell man, a few years ago my grandmother came home from bowling league to find some guy rummaging through her things. She grabbed her single shot 410, (that she used to scare geese off her yard), from behind the garage door and pointed it at the guy. He begged her to not shoot him and then jumped through the window he had crawled through to make entry. The gun wasn't even loaded. I'm still not sure what mindset lecture she attended or shotgun course she took from the latest-greatest 3gunner but whatever it was, it worked.

I train because I love it, it's something I've done everyday for as long as I can remember. Competition is the only venue I have where can get a little bit of that rush without doing time. Some dude I don't know doesn't dig it? Cool bro, you do you and I'm gonna do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 10-31-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Does either side of this debate ever read the thousands of examples compiled by the NRA on defensive gun use by private citizens? Because every month there are any number of accounts that all but dismiss any concerns about Mindset, or how to effectively run a firearm beyond which end to point at the bad guy.

Once Claude Werner got that point through my thick skull I began to consider any discussion on the matter to be little more than an interesting intellectual exercise. The guys that think Mindset is the precious will continue to argue with the guys that think skill is the Golden Fleece.... meanwhile granny with zero training and a Ruger 22 just sent some burglar hauling ass out her back door when she cracked a round off over his head. Hell man, a few years ago my grandmother came home from bowling league to find some guy rummaging through her things. She grabbed her single shot 410, (that she used to scare geese off her yard), from behind the garage door and pointed it at the guy. He begged her to not shoot him and then jumped through the window he had crawled through to make entry. The gun wasn't even loaded. I'm still not sure what mindset lecture she attended or shotgun course she took from the latest-greatest 3gunner but whatever it was, it worked.

I train because I love it, it's something I've done everyday for as long as I can remember. Competition is the only venue I have where can get a little bit of that rush without doing time. Some dude I don't know doesn't dig it? Cool bro, you do you and I'm gonna do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Sharp with some common sense!

Mr Sharp, I am glad to hear your grandmother was unarmed. Criminals who prey on the elderly sicken me.

"Context" is the key word. I only shot competition as a kid in the shotgun disciplines. However my entire adult life I "cut my teeth" so to speak in the "tactical" world. I have pretty much been an "outside of the box" guy in my peer group nationwide as far as producing shooters. I have been a proponent of taking aspects of the competition world and fusing it into "tactical" shooters since the late 90's / early 2000's. This was so radically taboo of a topic at that time that I was the brunt of scorn from the traditional LE / Mil / defensive world for a long time. Right up until the point that anyone in the "tactical" world in that day in age couldn't touch my guys as "tactical" shooters.

It has been a fulfilling thing for me to see a trend in more progressive LE / Military training circles to see more outspoken, well known individuals who compete and are proponents of fusing the two disciplines. Not even 5 or so years ago, this was still a highly contested topic. Nowadays, it is almost commonly accepted by those who really know their shit and understand that the two can co-exist with good training done in proper context.

To this day, I will firmly preach that a high level tactical shooter who competes at high levels in the competition world, is truly the guy that you don't want to face off with when you are playing for blood. /docholiday.

User Tag List