Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

A bit late to the party, but this is a topic that interests me quite a bit.

First off, some context for my position - served on active duty in the Norwegian mil for 11 years, infantry and reconnaissance as a small unit leader, with deployments to Kosovo and Afghanistan. Currently serving in the National Guard as well, as a firearms, small unit tactics and medic instructor. I also shoot IPSC, pistol and rifle.

The BLUF here is that shooting matches is a good supplement to whatever "tactical" training you do. As others have said, shooting a match against guys who really know how to run a gun is pretty humbling, and may lead to the eating of some crow....it did on my part.
    I was considered a very good shooter by my peers, and I could outshoot them easily, both accuracy wise but also mechanics wise (I was better at running the gun).
    After shooting my first match, I understood that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. I was being outshot by guys who had no tactical background at all. But that fact is irrelevant, as a match does not measure tactics. It measures shooting ability.

And that last point is what annoys me, when people argue against competition because of lack of tactics - well, duh, it's not part of the game, so why argue the point at all?
    Second, and I think that I am pretty qualified to state this - tactics cannot be measured objectively, as so much is subjective. In the mil, you adhere to principles that you must apply to the situation that presents itself. There is no one right answer to a tactical problem.

Now, granted, my lane or focus is not self-defense, but I do not buy into the argument that doing certain things in competition will carry over to a use of force situation. If it does, you are not adequately trained in either.
    I am not going to use competition tactics when I train MOUT. I am not going to unload and show clear after each bound during squad fire and movement. I am not going to toss proper use of cover and concealment aside during SUT training. I am not going to disregard IMT when I am doing SUT. Why? Because as a human being I am capable of cognitive ability, even during stress. I am able to observe, process and decide on what I want to do.
    Anyone who says differently probably hasn't trained very much.

As an example; in the military I trained on 14 or 15 different weapon types, with greatly varying manual of arms between them. It did not cause an issue for me at all, or none of those I served with. I didn't suddently apply the malfunction clearance drill for an MG-3, when shooting my HK416.....the same can be said from switching between OWB competion gear, to duty gear or CC gear. I have no issue switching from my SA Standard(Limited) gun to a Glock or my Beretta 92A1.....

I am able to combine both worlds, to where I am getting the full effect of shooting matches reflected in my gun handling, and my problem solving skills are able to be focused at the problem, instead of at the act of shooting.
    Now, I was pretty good at the whole SA thing, from years and years of training in that environment, but my shooting skills were affected when I did something that I hadn't done before - namely shooting a stage.
    And my SA was excellent in spite of never utilizing a scan and assess during marksmanship training - it did not prevent guys from being fully situationally aware, both in training and in actual combat.

Now, competition is not training. But that is again a moot point, as it never set out to be. That is not competition's fault, it is the fault of guys who only go to matches and never put in any other work.

Another good one is the whole "you don't get a walk through" for a real gun fight. True, but you prepare in training. You practice gun handling and shooting beforehand, so that you are prepared when shit hits the fan. You take force on force training or scenario based training to better prepare yourself to react when shit gets real. That is preparation, that is planning. You are ingraining decision making into your brain, so that you are better able to respond to a situation. That is why we shoot at different distances, at various size targets, on the move, from unconventional positions etc.

Also, in the mil (and LE) we often do reconnaissance prior to conducting an OP, and will hold an orders meeting using a sand table that reflects the target area - which will often include possible enemy positions and so forth. We don't wing it, if we can help it.
    If I can, I will accept as much detail as possible on the target area, so that I have the best odds possible of succeeding.

So, in conclusion, I think people are trying to construct a divide between the tactical world and the competition world, when we in fact should try to bridge the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    ... one standout thing that I think competition - I'm thinking of USPSA here - does overwhelmingly well, is force the shooter to improvise in the face of limitless physical variations of targets, space, and barriers. Because the plan doesn't usually work out exactly as intended and adjustments have to be made on the fly. And with a lot of task-loading going on too, due to the overall complexity and round count of a lot of practical shooting stages.
    I just got back from the USPSA Area1 Championship in Missoula MO. As I've posted elsewhere, my match was cut short by a leg injury. It was frustrating because I was doing well against the other M class Production shooters. I'm writing this here in the "competitive shooting will get you killed in the streets" thread because this experience once again convinced me that the truth is exactly the opposite. Training subconscious mastery under pressure could keep us in the fight.

The injury happened right at the beginning of my last stage of the first day. The stage started with a gun pickup and a sprint. Right after retrieving my gun, I pulled/tore my right calf muscle. The pain was extreme. As with the serious injuries I've had in BJJ and other martial arts, I knew I'd hurt myself badly, but felt removed from the pain while I was competing. Reviewing the video, I can see my gait change. I finished mostly hopping on one leg. Interestingly, my score on this stage was among my best. The injury didn't slow me down or affect my hits. But after I finished, all I could do was lie on the ground in excruciating pain.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-22-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    This is a topic that has been frequently discussed (and beaten to death) on every firearms related internet forum or discussion group since Al Gore invented the internet back in the before time . . .

Is Competitive Shooting relevant to the defensive employment of a firearm? It certainly can be.

I shoot both USPSA and IDPA matches fairly regularly and shoot PPC about once a year. USPSA and IDPA are best considered skill building exercises that have some training value and can be very entertaining. Any competitive event, of necessity, will not be able to duplicate the dynamics of a real gunfight.

But, depending upon the course of fire, there CAN be training value in the process, if you are shooting the IDPA classifier or a USPSA classifier that measures basic marksmanship and gun-handling skills. Some USPSA field courses totally lack any connection to reality and are best avoided, but classifiers and most IDPA courses of fire are at least semi-realistic in the marksmanship challenges presented.

In such competitions I've most often used whatever my duty gun was at the time. Currently I most often use a Glock 19 in SSP in IDPA matches and a Glock 22 in production class in USPSA matches. A mission for later this year is to put a Trijicon RMR on a Glock 34 I just acquired and learn about red dot sights on a handgun.

I'm more interested in getting trigger time than in shooting the matches as a competitive activity. Of course, I'm not particularly fast, so if I WAS attempting to become the next USPSA champion, I'd be way out of luck . . .

In general I prefer the course design philosophy of IDPA. However, I've been shooting IPSC on a sporadic basis at the local level since 1978, and I've been competing regularly again since the summer of 2005.

I particularly like the USPSA Classifiers and the IDPA Classifier match(s) as methods to test basic skills. Also, several of the local USPSA clubs have LOTS more steel and movers and bobbers and so forth than what we have available at the police range, so the courses of fire they use on match days are much more innovative that what we can do during in-service training at the PD. (Most cops have never shot competitively and have never attended any "advanced" training and they have no idea that this stuff even exists)

There was a similar discussion on another forum a few years ago, and one poster had an interesting thought that kind of mirrors my philosophy -- he takes IDPA more seriously and competes in USPSA as a sort of structured practice session.

You'll get out of it what you put into it. Be safe and have fun with it. At the very least, shooting in matches can show you which skills to need to practice more . . .

Many clubs are now on the web and some post the course descriptions for upcoming stages on their web site. If clubs near you do this, you'll find this to be very useful. I don't look at the courses of fire in advance to figure out a "game plan" on how to shoot the course, but rather to get an idea of what skills I might need to practice before the match. (practice strong hand only and weak hand only shooting to start with, and engaging multiple targets from behind high & low cover)

Also, some clubs are more practically oriented, and some have more members who shoot purely as a competitive activity (usually the USPSA shooters, BUT NOT ALWAYS) and by looking at posted courses of fire you can determine which orientation the club has and if the matches they run have any value for what you're trying to accomplish. (Sometimes I'll look at the posted courses for one of the local clubs and if three out of five stages are "run & gun" field courses [which usually don't fit in with my training goals very well] I'll just go do something else that day . . . )
    Last edited by Jeff22; 06-14-2018 at 04:27 AM.

The better you can shoot...the better you can shoot....period. Whether it is in the match or in the street. Going and shooting and being exposed to better shooters makes that possible.

Know how to play checkers and chess.... and know the difference. If all you practice for is a match you'll probably get good.... at shooting matches....and the marksmanship and gunhandling skills you develop doing that are good skills to have in a gunfight. If all you practice for is "pro social violence" then you'll get good at that...and sometimes that has some carry over into doing well at matches. There obviously is some carry over (the better you can shoot...the better you can shoot) but the two are not the same. But that doesn't mean there is no value to matches if you are a "Timmy".

IDPA/USPSA is not "training" for "the streets" . It is application under time and audience pressure of the skills your actual training regimen is developing , tested in a set course of fire that you did not create (unless you were the stage designer). That is assuming you actually employ some form of training regimen. If all you do is shoot your local monthly IDPA/USPSA match with no practice in between (and there are A LOT of those folks out there) then the matches are what you are practicing for...and the matches are your practice sessions. While that is better than nothing it is certainly less than optimal....and could be even arguably less than adequate for either matches or the streets...
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 06-14-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    The better you can shoot...the better you can shoot....period. Whether it is in the match or in the street. Going and shooting and being exposed to better shooters makes that possible.

Know how to play checkers and chess.... and know the difference. If all you practice for is a match you'll probably get good.... at shooting matches....and the marksmanship and gunhandling skills you develop doing that are good skills to have in a gunfight. If all you practice for is "pro social violence" then you'll get good at that...and sometimes that has some carry over into doing well at matches. There obviously is some carry over (the better you can shoot...the better you can shoot) but the two are not the same. But that doesn't mean there is no value to matches if you are a "Timmy".

IDPA/USPSA is not "training" for "the streets" . It is application under time and audience pressure of the skills your actual training regimen is developing , tested in a set course of fire that you did not create (unless you were the stage designer). That is assuming you actually employ some form of training regimen. If all you do is shoot your local monthly IDPA/USPSA match with no practice in between (and there are A LOT of those folks out there) then the matches are what you are practicing for...and the matches are your practice sessions. While that is better than nothing it is certainly less than optimal....and could be even arguably less than adequate for either matches or the streets...
    I agree. I am not even sure this topic is worth discussing. The discussion (not the arguement) does point out that there are other forms of training and practice that may be more usefull real world so it gets us thinking of doing something better. To me that is the only value. I say that because, at least for me and the people I know, we don't really have a lot of choice in what shooting practice we do and/or can do. We have shot at paper targets for years and always wanted something better. Our newer indoor range has timers that spin the target from bladed to shootable for any number of seconds we want. That has helped. We started shooting local Steel and IDPA a year ago. For me these matches I think are really helpful to our overall abilities. Yeah, we could learn more by taking a class every other week and practice in between. Nice idea right? Can't afford that either in fees, ammo, or time. This is why I say most don't really have much choice. We do what we can to the best of our abilities and take best advantage of whatever type of shooting we can actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I agree. I am not even sure this topic is worth discussing.
    It's not

There's the people that understand it's a handy tool in the toolbox and then there's the guys that can't come to terms with that fact.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

This is just one schumk's opinion, but...

The Shooting incidents in the news thread has over 4300 posts. I didn't read every single one of them but it doesn't seem like there are a whole lotta dead victims that sound or look like the typical USPSA/IDPA shooters getting killed in the street.

IMO people train/practice diligently monthly or more will probably be OK. The people that shoot a qualification a couple times a year, or shoot at a indoor range with no time limits, might see some upside from more frequent match shooting.

This is just an opinion from somebody not really qualified to speculate.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-15-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    It's not

There's the people that understand it's a handy tool in the toolbox and then there's the guys that realize they actually suck through competition and want an excuse.
    Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by Bere09; 06-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Threads like this one make me very pessimistic about "tactical" gun forums in general. It's astonishing that this crap is still being discussed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bere09 View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Much better.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Threads like this one make me very pessimistic about "tactical" gun forums in general. It's astonishing that this crap is still being discussed...
    Pretty much. But since there are always new members you gotta bring them around to reality. Hopefully they accept it sooner than later. Sometimes it takes rehashing the same tired ass discussions over and over to do that though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List