Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Thanks @JCN, I was hoping you'd share your thoughts on the technical skills in the video. Would you care to speculate on the good guy's classification?
    I would wager M+ level due to a couple of things (also with the context I only know USPSA classification and this was a Brazilian video).

1. He had the mental bandwidth to execute with confidence fully within his skill set.
    2. He had excellent recoil control and transitions
    3. He didn’t miss. He took enough time, but not too much.
    4. He was very comfortable with shooting on the move, nice low and aggressive.

The hallmark of M/GM is confidence without delay and knowing how fast but not too fast to go.

That’s a very different level than B and even most A level where there’s often fairly gross misjudgment about how fast is too fast.

Here you could tell that the good guy knew how fast the fast shots needed and how slow the slow shots needed.

@Clusterfrack what say you?
    Last edited by JCN; 08-12-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I would wager M+ level due to a couple of things (also with the context I only know USPSA classification and this was a Brazilian video).

1. He had the mental bandwidth to execute with confidence fully within his skill set.
    2. He had excellent recoil control and transitions
    3. He didn’t miss. He took enough time, but not too much.
    4. He was very comfortable with shooting on the move, nice low and aggressive.

The hallmark of M/GM is confidence without delay and knowing how fast but not too fast to go.

That’s a very different level than B and even most A level where there’s often fairly gross judgement about how fast is too fast.

Here you could tell that the good guy knew how fast the fast shots needed and how slow the slow shots needed.

@Clusterfrack what say you?
    Yes, I’d guess M/GM as well.

Not sure why he needed to close on the bad guy, but his SOTM was smooth. I could quibble with some of his footwork and movement, but fucking hell he was fighting for his life.

Match win. Game over.

I’m curious what gun he was using.

One more thing: I’m thinking his left handedness was a lucky factor in the geometry of that fight. He could keep his gun hidden longer.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Thanks @JCN, I was hoping you'd share your thoughts on the technical skills in the video. Would you care to speculate on the good guy's classification?
    Also, as is said in the video by John…

“Competition shooters hone skills that can be critically useful in a gunfight.”

The level of technical shooting ability in the video is very familiar to bona fide M/GM.

I have no doubt that @Clusterfrack or myself could execute the technical shooting part of this in a drill cold.

The judgement part can be trained, but when it comes to see it —> shoot it, it takes a lot of physical practice.

Movement and transitions is something M/GM train a lot of.

All just my opinion.

Was that 18 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Was that 18 rounds?
    Yes he had a prototype Sig P365 Macro!

An interesting (to me) comment from the video:

You missed a somewhat key element. That old guy sitting down is actually the "street guard", common in Brazil, paid by business and families around. This "guard" saw a strange movement going on on the Korean restarurant and called the other guy who he knew was an expert shooter and lived in the building. He then came down and called the Police and passed the phone to the guard continue the call and then went to see what was going on when your video started.
    Good results are good results. I wonder if he committed too many rounds to visible prone perp (unless he had another mag in his belt). You don't know who is around.

On the subject of mental bandwidth, I was impressed with his use of the light. He activated it in the middle of the fight, at a time that seemed appropriate. And he turned it off immediately after taking the longer range shot at the second bad guy, as he moved to another position. He has obviously practiced with his light, and he had the bandwidth to handle that component of the fight, on top of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Was that 18 rounds?
    I didn't count, but John at Active Self Protection said it was 18.
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-12-2022 at 10:53 PM.

WML activation looks accidental to me. Light comes on while he is shooting a close assailant second time around.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    WML activation looks accidental to me. Light comes on while he is shooting a close assailant second time around.
    If you told me that Taran developed this for a movie, I would believe it. Every competition shooter's wet dream. I can see a lot that could have gone wrong and didn't, starting from getting within grasp at the beginning, and having just enough ammo to get it done.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I knew this cop who did a lot of competition shooting. One day while on duty he was on his meal break and the timer on his watch beeped. He dropped his sandwich and double tapped the waitress, ran to a table about 12 feet away and put two rounds into some old lady having lunch and was about to engage the next target when he thought he heard a buzzer so he froze and waited for the command to make clear.

He later told me he thought his times were off but that was because the course of fire was new to him.
    Now that's the way to tell a good story, boys. You must be from TX.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List