Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    On two classifier stages at last Saturday's USPSA match, a Single Stack shooter was trying to push speed on the draw. He didn't get his grip right, and failed to deactivate the grip safety.
    That could be a serious problem “on da streets”.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    That happened to me once, in the very first pistol training class I ever attended. There was no good excuse for it, and never since (lesson learned).
    When I was first starting IDPA, I saw that happen. It was one reason I eventually switched from a 1911 to an M&P for carry , as I thought it could happen in my case as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    That could be a serious problem “on da streets”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    When I was first starting IDPA, I saw that happen. It was one reason I eventually switched from a 1911 to an M&P for carry , as I thought it could happen in my case as well.
    The stress and round counts associated with competitive shooting are a great way to pressure test gear and technique.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Agree. I mentioned before that not flipping the safety might occur more in non standard draws and positions. Seen that a few times.

The stress and round counts associated with competitive shooting are a great way to pressure test gear and technique.
    100% agree. I have changed and or modified my gear choices based on the stress induced issues of a timer and competitive pressure.

Site Supporter
    On two classifier stages at last Saturday's USPSA match, a Single Stack shooter was trying to push speed on the draw. He didn't get his grip right, and failed to deactivate the grip safety.
    I don't forsee a problem if, like a serious afficianado of the 1911, he carries a CZ-P07

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

When I got my Les Baer 9mm, I told myself I'm going to keep a working grip safety. I tuned it such that it deactivated with the slightest amount of pressure. I shot the gun for nearly 2 years without issue. Then one day at a steel match, I failed to deactivate the grip safety on the fastest stage, smoke and hope, not once but TWICE. 2 years and lots of practice without incident, but one high pressure / speed to deliver scenario and it / "we" choked. It was deactivated the very next day.

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    100% agree. I have changed and or modified my gear choices based on the stress induced issues of a timer and competitive pressure.
    Tell us more...

The thread about a LEO having doublefeed jam at the worst possible time seems relevant to our discussion. I have seen numerous malfunctions at matches that required not just 20s to clear, but minutes-to-never, and multiple people. That sort of thing has definitely directed my choices of defensive weapons. As well, experienced competitors can often clear very challenging malfunctions quite rapidly because they have subconscious mastery of the skills required.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I carried one of my 1911’s yesterday and today. A revolver has been my constant companion for pretty much all of 2021. In the video linked, two officers are trying to wrestle a pistol from a genius in an ER room. It becomes the proverbial gunfight in a phone booth! You can fast forward to the 8 minute mark, and see why some people prefer revolvers to semiautomatics. The ending is pretty dramatic. IF I carry a 1911 tomorrow, I’ll have a J frame in my pocket. 😳😳😳

I often think that a backup weapon that’s easily accessible would be as / more useful than a spare magazine.

User Tag List