Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

"No Cop Left Behind" = stolen

“No cop left behind qualifications”.

Is that like where everyone gets a trophy?

Shooting USPSA is a passion for me. It’s gets me shooting much more often than I would otherwise. That’s got to account for something.

@cheby and I shot a local USPSA match yesterday. It was a fun, although very long day because of the number of shooters (78), many of them new to USPSA. It's great to see our sport growing in popularity.

Here are a few observations:

There were zero douchebags on our squad, and in my experience that's typical of USPSA. Even though it was frustrating to have to stand around pretty much all day because of bottlenecks at certain stages, everyone was positive, friendly, and helped reset.

The guy who was back from deployment overseas was very squared away with his Glock. He was relatively slow, but accurate, safe, and knew how to run his gun. I was impressed by how calm he was.

The two new-to-USPSA active LEOs had great attitudes, and asked for advice.

A few shooters did not have much experience with moving, shooting, and reloading in a complex environment. We were able to give them some tips about keeping their finger away from the trigger guard, and how to move in any direction while not sweeping themselves. I noticed improvement over the course of the match.

Some shooters learned that their guns and gear did not work reliably enough for competition --let alone defensive use. A Walther CCP was especially troublesome.

A 75 year old shooter (Vietnam vet, retired LEO) with serious health issues fell backwards while I was ROing. He kept his gun pointed downrange, and navigated the muzzle safely around his knee as he went down. We helped him up, and he continued the stage, shooting mostly As on very difficult targets. It was impressive, and he received a round of applause afterward.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-03-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    So competition can show you that your gun can break so catastrophically, that you have big club. Happened to me as my AR sheared the screws on the gas key, yesterday. Finished with my Glock 19.

Also, don't trust reloads as a friend's 9 mm blew the casings in half. Bad reload, screwed up gun - the jury is still out. The AR carbine might have fired out of battery. The video isn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Also, don't trust reloads
    That's painting with a fairly broad brush. Factory ammo has blown up guns before too. It's really a matter of QA/QC process in either case.

Site Supporter
    The majority of ammo screw ups I've seen are reloads. Not to say that factory doesn't screw up but just relative probability.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The majority of ammo screw ups I've seen are reloads. Not to say that factory doesn't screw up but just relative probability.
    That's why the only reloads I shoot out of my guns are my own and I don't let anyone shoot mine in theirs. I've actually had a couple of friends get pretty chapped about it, too bad. I never buy commercial reloads either, as I've seen more problems with those than anything else..
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-03-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's why the only reloads I shoot out of my guns are my own and I don't let anyone shoot mine in theirs.
    Exactly this. I load for myself and for my wife and nobody else. Many thousands of rounds down that road, and I'm satisfied with the results.

A couple of years ago, my brother in law took a large box of free misc mixed 9mm to a match, and proceeded to have frequent hard jams due to some out of round rounds.
    Looked like Win White Box to me (Win headstamp).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List