Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Tires

Shooting Tires

What is policy or best practice on shooting tires of an occupied vehicle? In both a vehicle sitting in place or in a vehicle attempting to leave a scene. For example if they have kidnapped a person and that person is in the vehicle. Or in another scenario if they have just commited a violent crime and are attempting to leave the scene.
    Should the tires be shot from the side or from the rear or front? Are there specific hazards to be aware of? Is there a certain speed limit at which above the particular speed it shouldnt be attempted. Im assuming that the skills of the shooter would make it most likely the tire would be hit.
    Please dont speculate Im only interested in replies from people who have specific training or procedures to follow in this type of event. Im asking from a citizen viewpoint. Legalities also are a concern.

ETA This is assuming a 9mm pistol with quality bonded ammo.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-19-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    All your other good questions aside, strictly from a tire technology perspective, the sidewall is going to be easier to penetrate than the tread surface. But it might be difficult to hit nowadays with all the low profile tires around. I'm an old man yelling at clouds when I say a passenger car tire should have a minimum of 3.5, preferably 4 inches of sidewall height. And the first ~3/4 inch of that will be behind the wheel lip. So it's a pretty narrow band.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    All your other good questions aside, strictly from a tire technology perspective, the sidewall is going to be easier to penetrate than the tread surface. But it might be difficult to hit nowadays with all the low profile tires around. I'm an old man yelling at clouds when I say a passenger car tire should have a minimum of 3.5, preferably 4 inches of sidewall height. And the first ~3/4 inch of that will be behind the wheel lip. So it's a pretty narrow band.
    I hadnt considered low profile tires. My questions supposed a nearly straight on shot but a shot at an angle should also be considered. Im sure thats not the only thing I didnt think of.

The textbook/best way to do it is with a rifle and shoot for the rim. Instant deflation. A pistol round will not penetrate the rim. A pistol/rifle round to the sidewall or tire will eventually deflate the tire but it takes a while.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    The best way to do it is with a rifle and shoot for the rim. Instant deflation. A pistol round will not penetrate the rim. A pistol/rifle round to the sidewall or tire will eventually deflate the tire but it takes a while.
    Sorry I just did an ETA on the original post probably while you were typing your reply. This is assuming pistol only as thats what is most likely to be available for immediate response.

How long is a while? Which text book are you referring to?
    Last edited by UNK; 09-19-2022 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Sorry I just did an ETA on the original post probably while you were typing your reply. This is assuming pistol only as thats what is most likely to be available for immediate response.

How long is a while?
    Not affiliated or even really familiar with this blog (though the name sounds familiar) but came up early in search results for "shooting out a tire":

https://www.wideners.com/blog/mythbu...ooting-a-tire/
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Not affiliated or even really familiar with this blog (though the name sounds familiar) but came up early in search results for "shooting out a tire":

https://www.wideners.com/blog/mythbu...ooting-a-tire/
    I dont see how that test is completely relevant as it doesnt have the weight of the car on the tire. It also has a lot of speculation. A LOT.

Im going to repeat Im looking for people who have TRAINING, PROTOCOLS TO FOLLOW AND POSSIBLY REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE NOT SPECULATION ON THIS SCENARIO.
    Im assuming the most informed will be LE, Military or those trained in Personal Protection with ammo specifically used in those professions.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-19-2022 at 09:19 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Also, heavy duty tires may have strong enough construction that a pistol round hitting at an oblique angle won't even penetrate the sidewall. Thinking Load Range E on 2500/3500 light trucks, plus medium duty stuff and up if you're thinking about the rented box truck scenario.

I remember a police chase in SoCal back when they were televised live (amazing how they more or less stopped happening when the networks all agreed to stop broadcasting live). A box truck drove around for several miles with no tires on the metal rims on at least one corner. So stopping the tires doesn't necessarily stop the vehicle. It's a timer, and not a very good one. Stopping the driver will stop the vehicle sooner than a flat or even debeaded tire, but then there are other issues raised by a driverless vehicle. And that's about the edge of my lane on this. I'm a tire guy.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post

How long is a while? Which text book are you referring to?
    Textbook as it the way its done by people who do it for a living. The hole in the tire seals up after the bullet goes through so about like about the speed that a large nail/puncture would cause...five or ten minutes...sometimes a long time if its a particularly thick/heavy duty tire. Like someone said large multi-ply tires can sometimes prevent a handgun from penetrating if shot at an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Textbook as it the way its done by people who do it for a living. The hole in the tire seals up after the bullet goes through so about like about the speed that a large nail/puncture would cause...five or ten minutes...sometimes a long time if its a particularly thick/heavy duty tire. Like someone said large multi-ply tires can sometimes prevent a handgun from penetrating if shot at an angle.
    Do you have training in this subject?

User Tag List