Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Name:  DASTREETS.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  36.1 KB
    Last edited by MickAK; 04-28-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    Many years ago I had a friend that was a policeman and an IPSC competitor. During a traffic stop he had to draw his weapon and got into the "Shooter Ready" position of his hands above his shoulders to wait for the beep.

Fortunately he drew before the other guy or things would have come out differently. Too much competition shooting can kill you but some will help you. It's all a balancing act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    There's no polite way for me to say this but I straight up don't believe you.

1. The start position has nothing to do mentally with the action of drawing the gun. In my mind I have never confused the two.
    2. Even if it magically did, the same issue could happen to anyone who practiced drawing a gun. So what's the solution here, never practice? The issue has nothing to do with competition.
    I think your friend may have enlarged a bit.

That being said, during my first NRA Firearms Instructor Course, circa 1979, Sgt. Ed Doster, a fine gentleman who worked, IIRC, for the St. Petersburg FL PD, told the story of a rookie Florida Highway Patrolman back in the day. It seemed that at the time FHP shot one handed bullseye style quit a bit during training. As Doster told the story, the rookie trooper was with his training officer when a scuffle ensued during a traffic stop, the other trooper called out 'he's got a gun, whereupon the rookie trooper snapped to attention, drew his revolver and nailed the bad guy, one handed bullseye style.

This story along with stories of dead/wounded officers who had stuffed the fired cases in their pocket, as they did during range training, was used to highlight how range training scars can get you hurt or killed.

Don't know if any of those stories are true from firsthand experience, but they serve to make a point. This is firsthand, though.

One of the first officers I had helped train who become involved in an on duty shooting told me that he had chased the reportedly armed guy down after a short foot pursuit. The guy stopped and the officer pulled up short announcing in a clear voice 'stop, think about what your doing, see this gun, don't make me shoot you.' He related to me (during a video we produced) how proud he was that he got all that out just like I had trained him before realizing the guy wasn't going with the program. Somewhat startled, he (the officer) was able to fire first, wounding the suspect.

Learning occurred, one point - officers have to be able to shoot while talking if need be; second point - speech patterns that 'make the suspect own the force decision' are great, but 'police, don't move!' ought to be used to initially instead of a longer canned command.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 04-28-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    There's no polite way for me to say this but I straight up don't believe you.

1. The start position has nothing to do mentally with the action of drawing the gun. In my mind I have never confused the two.
    2. Even if it magically did, the same issue could happen to anyone who practiced drawing a gun. So what's the solution here, never practice? The issue has nothing to do with competition.
    I was about to post something like you did when it occurred to me that the post to which you replied had at least an outside chance of being deadpan sarcasm or just outright trolling, and I opted not to join the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    Many years ago I had a friend that was a policeman and an IPSC competitor. During a traffic stop he had to draw his weapon and got into the "Shooter Ready" position of his hands above his shoulders to wait for the beep.

Fortunately he drew before the other guy or things would have come out differently. Too much competition shooting can kill you but some will help you. It's all a balancing act.
    I knew this cop who did a lot of competition shooting. One day while on duty he was on his meal break and the timer on his watch beeped. He dropped his sandwich and double tapped the waitress, ran to a table about 12 feet away and put two rounds into some old lady having lunch and was about to engage the next target when he thought he heard a buzzer so he froze and waited for the command to make clear.

He later told me he thought his times were off but that was because the course of fire was new to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I knew this cop who did a lot of competition shooting. One day while on duty he was on his meal break and the timer on his watch beeped. He dropped his sandwich and double tapped the waitress, ran to a table about 12 feet away and put two rounds into some old lady having lunch and was about to engage the next target when he thought he heard a buzzer so he froze and waited for the command to make clear.

He later told me he thought his times were off but that was because the course of fire was new to him.
    This is why you always ALWAYS have to do a proper walk through. If you can't walk through your shot placement with your eyes closed you haven't done it properly.

Where is the video from a few years ago on FB where they had the guy in the skit about it. His room mate went around with a buzzer and the guy wound up shooting his laptop and all sorts of things. It was super funny. Anyone remember that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    To get back to the competition gets people killed in the streets part of the discussion. He did a great job at the shooting part, but his lack of situational awareness before the shooting got him held at gunpoint. And for our revolver fans note how he burns through 18 rounds against two attackers.

Active Self-Protection - Aug 11, 2022 - Shoot With Purpose Not With Panic

Competitive shooter wins against 2 armed assailants.

This is a Pistol-Forum must watch.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Nice.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I think your video insert got stuck in your quote.

That was an excellent video.

Nice, crisp transitions. No over travel.

Good recoil control.

Good shooting on the move.

Enough mental bandwidth to notice peripheral movement and immediately transition.
    Last edited by JCN; 08-11-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think your video insert got stuck in your quote.

That was an excellent video.

Nice, crisp transitions. No over travel.

Good recoil control.

Good shooting on the move.

Enough mental bandwidth to notice peripheral movement and immediately transition.
    Thanks @JCN, I was hoping you'd share your thoughts on the technical skills in the video. Would you care to speculate on the good guy's classification?

User Tag List