Thread: Browning BDA .380

Hammertime

Browning BDA .380

This is just a thread looking for information, history and possible trouble spots on the Browning BDA .380 pistol. I acquired this one from my father's collection. It has been shot very little and I want to learn a bit about it. I would guess it was mad in the mid 80s.

From what I see on line it is a blowback .380 with a DA/SA action and a safety-decocker on the slide.

This particular example is pretty, extremely comfortable to grip, but a bit hard on the hands to administratively handle due to a lot of sharp edges. Once field stripped I was pretty disappointed with the machine marks, etc inside. Hopefully I will shoot it this afternoon. This one came with original 80s Silvertips as well
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-31-2016 at 11:12 AM.

It's essentially a closed-slide version of the Beretta Model 84, made for FN to be marketed as and by Browning by Beretta. As I recall, the key differences between the two had to do with the slide and safety levers/configuration. It's a nice, solid gun, but has the same profile as a Glock 19, which is lighter, significantly more powerful in 9mm, and more weather impervious.

That said. the Browning/Berettas are good, solid pistols for .380. I wouldn't worry too much about the interior tooling marks as long as function is unimpeded. The sights appear to be pretty miniscule-Beretta significantly upgraded them in their 84F/85F models, but I don't think there were any changes to the Browning model.

I'd clean, lube and shoot it-let us know how it does. It's a nice, usable period piece, but I doubt there's any significant collector value in them.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-31-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Hammertime
    I put 115 rounds through it today. 100% function, even the 30 year old Silvertips. Sights are tiny but did the job.

The DA/SA transition is new to me, but I think I was able to adapt to it. Several times I got a dead trigger because I decocked and then forgot to take it off safe. I need to engrain that decock-off safety off down-up motion after the each string of fire.

I shot my daily carry carry Glock 19 immediately afterward and see clearly why Glock took over this market: same size, lighter, less recoil and generally easier to shoot in every way. I am impressed at the recoil of this blow back .380, worse than the Glock 9 in every way.

I think I will clean it and safe it. It is pretty, but that is the end of its utility to me.

It's been in the back of my mind that since I carry a 92F, I should have a BDA because the controls are the same. Price and relative scarcity have kept me from following up on that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's been in the back of my mind that since I carry a 92F, I should have a BDA because the controls are the same. Price and relative scarcity have kept me from following up on that.
    That is good to hear. So if I can run this, I can run a 92F. For that reason alone it is worth keeping until if/when I get a 92.

Quite a while back this was my EDC and duty weapon in a country with calibre restrictions. Unfortunately also was forced to carry FMJ due to very unelightened policy regarding expanding ammunition. I wish i had then had the maturity to recognize what I later learned regarding shot placement and tactical advantage as being more decisive than equipment.

I do recall the piece fondly though. It got me through a tough year. Mine was blued, though, and required some frequent attention as I commuted to work everyday by ferry, and for various reasons was always out of sight even whilst at home. But back then i also still polished boots daily, so thought nothing of it.

Although the sights would still challenge me without a doubt. And the slick wooden grips, while very much classic, didmgive me trouble more than once and i am sure still would.

One day i might drop one in the safe, but they have been getting more rare in any sort of decent condition. Though the Berretta make is still pretty prevelant, not quite the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There is a vendor on Gunbroker selling a lot of the Beretta .380s, CDI Sales. Most are somewhat cosmetically challenged, but pricing looks to be in the low 300's. I believe they are former Israeli police guns given the totality of what they are selling.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I have a Beretta 85BB for my .380, but I have always thought the BDA is drop dead sexy. Just waiting for the right one at the right price to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    This is just a thread looking for information, history and possible trouble spots on the Browning BDA .380 pistol. I acquired this one from my father's collection. It has been shot very little and I want to learn a bit about it. I would guess it was mad in the mid 80s.

From what I see on line it is a blowback .380 with a DA/SA action and a safety-decocker on the slide.

This particular example is pretty, extremely comfortable to grip, but a bit hard on the hands to administratively handle due to a lot of sharp edges. Once field stripped I was pretty disappointed with the machine marks, etc inside. Hopefully I will shoot it this afternoon. This one came with original 80s Silvertips as well
    What you have is a Type 2 BDA-380 from 1986, based on the Italian Proof Date(AP). These were the 2nd type of BDA's made. It is very similar to the Beretta 84BB(the BDA-380 and 140 DA were both made by Beretta), while the Type 1, or first version is more related to the 84 and 84B. Some parts are interchangable, but not all.
    I have a few, both in .32 and .380, and they eat everything. Shoot it.

User Tag List