Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt thread on another forum

Site Supporter
    Okay I lied before -- I'll post another link because I think it has some pretty good stuff in it:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showpos...&postcount=102

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Pistol-forum and Pistol-training were both started by a brilliant individual. He might have not liked the 1911 but he also owned and respected a 1911 that runs well.
    Todd actually grew to love the 1911. He enjoyed shooting the 1911 quite a bit.

The last handgun he bought was this:

Name:  toddsgun.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  71.9 KB

A pretty cool spec for a 9mm 1911 that could be carried every day and easily digest the round count he wanted to put through it.

The helpfulness of folks from WC with his test guns, lots of conversations with Jason Burton, and probably to a lesser extent my own incessant praise of my CQB in 9mm led to buying his own WC.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by GS5414 View Post
    Morning, gents.

GS5414 reporting in as a long-time lurker of PF. I see and hear all...

Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

ETA - While I do have influence and oversight of institutional-level combat and competition marksmanship doctrine and development (training/materiel/personnel), please understand I simply cannot answer everything to everyone. If you're unsure about something, don't hesitate to PM me.

S/F
    GS5414 - Glad to see you made it over here! I've got a few questions regarding your CCU and M45...

What kind of recoil spring life are you getting out of the dual spring M45 system? I'm assuming most of the 32,000 rounds you've shot has been FMJ? If so, how's the rifling look? Any parts breakages?

How many rounds do you have through your CCU 9mm? I read your initial review over on 1911forum. Interested in picking one up.
    Shoot more, post less...

Thanks for the welcome, folks. Sorry for the delay - I've been slammed with questions after I left work! (That SME life )

The recoil springs are rated for somewhere around 8,500. I replace them sooner than that as a precautionary measure.

All of it has been FMJ, either 230gr. A475 or Winchester 185gr. FMJ (which is a DREAM to shoot).

The rifling actually is pretty clean, and I really can't see any major wear in the throat. In my experience, Colt barrels really are quite remarkable in raw accuracy and longevity.

The CCU I don't even know now! I gave it to a student of mine (Head Coach, USMC Pistol Team) as a wedding present. I'll have to ask him, but he shoots about 500 rounds a day on a light day. The gun has been fantastic. I did swap out the ejector for a Colt 45 commander ejector which functions great, and added some extractor tension. I concur with the findings of Todd before he passed - I think the 14# variable spring is best for the 9mm 1911. The CCUs are phenomenal guns for the money.

S/F
    Last edited by C1-2DG; 11-01-2016 at 08:29 PM.

@ Robinson - Thanks for the welcome! Now don't get me wrong, I am a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy and will be until I croak. Todd, as I did, learned one of the powerful lessons that many of the old masters realized; the 1911 done right in the hands of a trained professional can yield performance like none other. It can be freakishly reliable, and if built right, can last a LONG time. One is not to be discounted simply for having a 1911 in his holster. It can be a mistake to judge a 1911 user simply for having one in a holster, as he may have invested the time and effort into learning the 1911 lifestyle and takes it seriously. Those of us that do often have handguns with no finish where we have gripped it literally hundreds of thousands of times...

The 1911 has cultivated an attitude of seriousness and awareness that benefits me when using other weapons. It can, in some ways, train you how to THINK better! The BRAIN is the primary weapon after all!

However, unlike others, I am not adverse to adaptation and evolution. I rather focus my energy to driving the ball forwards on development of a true shooter's handgun, something with the combined strengths of each handgun on the market. One would be a fool to not recognize that others handguns have features that yield superior performance (and sometimes inferior performance!) with greater ease of training and maintenance. Someone I never met said, "All I want is a handgun with ergonomics better than a sweet potato, paintability better than a banana, a trigger that doesn't feel like a staple gun and goes straight to the rear, and don't weigh 5 pounds. Am I really asking that much?" I agree.

It's easy to understand me. I am not a 1911 shooter, nor am I a Glock, or even an HK shooter. I am simply a shooter, a serious practitioner of the art, and student (sometimes teacher) of the science of slinging lead.

S/F
    Last edited by C1-2DG; 11-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    GS5414, the topic of 9mm 1911s has come up here a few times recently. It seems these guns are getting more and more attention from the manufacturers. Aside from a recent sample that I believe was oversprung (and is currently at Colt), my 9mm Colts have run very well. They shoot FMJ ammo just fine with the supplied magazines but for hollow points I typically use the Wilson Combat ETM mags. What are some of your take-aways from your time with the 9mm CCU regarding magazine selection and overall functioning of the pistol?

For the 9mm 1911 I run Wilson ETMs and ETM-Vs exclusively. Wilson really has figured out how to make them right. With those mags, and the non-ramped barrel, they function extremely well with just about every ball ammo I've fed through it, Hornady Critical Defense, Speed Gold Dot G2, and more.

I do believe a 14 pound variable spring is best for the 9mm 1911, however.

Hope this helps!

S/F

Does anybody know what grip safety Colt is using in the M45? Or is it a Colt made unit? I really enjoy threads like this, I like seeing examples of American production weapons seeing hard use. I fully respect modern polymer SFA pistols foreign and domestic production but good ol' American steel still doing the job is great to see.
    I'm putting my lightly modified Colt 1991 .38 SA through the 2000 round challenge. I was planning on cleaning it after it hit 2000 but after reading this thread I'll just reapply lube, check the recoil spring [Wilson flat wire, 13lb] and keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Does anybody know what grip safety Colt is using in the M45? Or is it a Colt made unit? I really enjoy threads like this, I like seeing examples of American production weapons seeing hard use. I fully respect modern polymer SFA pistols foreign and domestic production but good ol' American steel still doing the job is great to see.
    I'm putting my lightly modified Colt 1991 .38 SA through the 2000 round challenge. I was planning on cleaning it after it hit 2000 but after reading this thread I'll just reapply lube, check the recoil spring [Wilson flat wire, 13lb] and keep going.
    What is "SFA"?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    What is "SFA"?
    I reckon it's Striker Fired Action.

User Tag List