Thread: AAR CSAT Tac Rifle Operator Nacadoches, Texas October 22/23 2016

AAR CSAT Tac Rifle Operator Nacadoches, Texas October 22/23 2016

AAR CSAT Tac Rifle Operator.

22/23 October 2016

Nacadoches, Texas

Over the weekend I attended Tac Rifle Operator at CSAT in Nacadoches, Texas. Paul Howe was the primary instructor. Assistant Instructors were Joe, Franke and Dave.

A little about me. I am a former LEO from Ohio (12yrs) that now resides in Texas. I am a Paramedic and worked for the local 911 service before getting a job in an ER/trauma center. I have several classes under my belt from various instructors but never formally received the basics of rifle marksmanship.

About my gear. Being the Special Snowflake that I am, I ran an AK in 7.62x39 for the class. The rifle was an Arsenal SAM7SF, lightly modified, with an ACOG TA33G-13 on top. I ran 30 round Magpul mags in both all-poly and steel lined flavors. I carried my mags and med kit in a HSGI chest rig.

TD1 started off as a chilly morning but warmed up to a perfectly pleasant fall day without a cloud in the sky. The range was well kept and laid out. A safety brief was given and chamber flags handed out. Paul went over his preferred loading/unloading sequence before covering the fundamentals of marksmanship. Paul stressed a consistency in hand position, cheek weld, head position and obtaining a natural point of aim. We quickly checked optic and irons at 7 yards to make sure we'd be on paper at 100. Satisfied, we moved to 100 yards to check our zero while prone. This was repeated until we were all zeroed well enough to get our hits out to 300 yards. Paul and his AI's stalked the line adding input to students about their mechanics. Kneeling was covered and practiced under watchful eyes with input provided to clean up student technique. Somewhere during the day we broke for lunch. The day was finished with one last 5 shot group at 100 yards.

My zero check from night before class. Low due to POA.
    http://instagram.com/p/BL2Btx5BZKF/

TD2 started off with the class split in half. Half went to the 200/300 yard range and Scrambler. We did barricades with the morning sun hitting us square in the face. Paul explained his barricade technique and reasoning behind it. Next was the 7 yard line for movement and surgical shooting using various hostage targets. Sight offset was reinforced.

Halfway thru the morning we swapped out and went over to shoot 200/300 and then the Scrambler. ***I have never shot past 100 yards previously.*** Shooting 7.62x39 vs 5.56 my increased bullet drop became readily apparent at 300. Instead of using the BDC in the ACOG I found it faster to adjust my hold from high chest to face for the longer shots. I ended up paired with the class rabbit for my run at the Scrambler. We posted a 9:15 and I didn't drop a single rifle shot.

My 200 and 300 yard targets.
    http://instagram.com/p/BL6dWlrBGJk/

After the Scrambler we took a lunch. A few students had long drives ahead of them and needed to leave early. Paul ran them through standards during our lunch.

Again we split into two groups. Paul ran my group through the CSAT Carbine Standards. The other group was with two AI's and moving a little slower. We had time to run one last drill. Paul had us do the CSAT 100-7 shooting five rounds from each position.

CSAT 100-7 Drill
    http://youtu.be/gi_40Xq996A

The other group finished and met up with us. Chamber flags were collected and weapons cased. Paul answered questions. Some people still needed to get on the road quick so Paul handed out certificates to them. I chose to skip the weapon maintenance lecture after class since most of it didn't apply to my rifle. Paul complimented my handling of the AK before I left.

The class was everything I had hoped it would be. The fundamentals of marksmanship were taught and reinforced. The round count was approximately 700 rounds. I enjoyed Paul's teaching style and laid back demeanor. Paul's Assistant Instructors were very good and very helpful. The ranges were well maintained and laid out. I learned what I need to work on as a shooter. I like the ACOG even more now.

The bad. The SAM7SF didn't like Golden Tiger ammo I brought in terms of accuracy. Wolf would do 2" at 100yds while GT was 3.5" at 100yds. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Wolf to shoot it the entire class so GT it was. The stock on the SF doesn't put me in a nose to dust cover position so getting my cheek weld in the same spot consistently was frustrating. Paul suggested a zip tie to use as a tactile landmark for my face. The stock trigger on the SAM7SF is a little heavy and could be smoother. I ordered an ALG Defense AKT-E to correct this.

I definitely want to work on my mechanics, get my cheek weld sorted out and stock up on my rifle's preferred ammo. I will attend this course again. Like many movies I think I will pick up even more doing it a second time.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

One day I would like to take a class with Master Sgt. Howe and your review just reinforces it. I've read some of his stuff and appreciate his take on things, which is always well-thought out (as you would expect), expressed well and more practical than a lot of the stereotypical YouTube trainer's nonsense.

So you used an ACOG? I didn't know they had BDC's for 7.62x39. You use RS Regulate mounts, right?

TA33G-13 is the green horseshoe with 762x39 BDC.

RS Regulate AK302M lower with AKOG upper.

http://instagram.com/p/BLR64K8hCba/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Thanks for posting.

I've taken two classes with Paul and he's a favorite of mine. I think most people end up surprised at how laid back and nice he is.

If I lived closer I'd do more of these fundamentals classes, but for me I have to fly, so it's more cost effective to do his three day tactics classes and stay at his barracks.

Love Dave, too. I have one of his rifles, the one that became the new CSAT rifle (actually, I just have the upper, not the entire rifle).

Thanks very much for the AAR, and great shooting on the Scrambler!

I'm also looking forward to studying under MSG Howe.

My first rifle class was with Paul Howe at CSAT probably 7-8 years ago and I would love to go back one day. Learned a lot about handling my rifle that has served me well through several more carbine classes through the years.

User Tag List