Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun Utilization Rates by Customers?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Are there any professionally collected surveys or data logging the number of times a typical handgun owner will shoot their pistol over a given timespan?

Something to the effect of "Over a 1 year timespan, 10% of shooters went to the range 12 times a year, 40% 7 times, etc". Some solid data on how often people shoot would be useful to have.
    Will shoot a pistol period, or shoot a particular pistol? I'd suggest even among the frequent trainers/shooters, there's likely some guns they don't shoot much so that might change the answer.

I mean, I practice or train with my rifle roughly monthly...but it's nearly always with the same AR. I've got a .30-06 that I've shot exactly one box of 20 cartridges through in 3 years. (I know, that's not handguns, but the point is the same).

Oh, and I completely believe the post by Tom Givens and the results of the Colt study. There's so many "carried but never fired" and flip-floppers at gun shops chasing the latest hardware the 7 rounds total jives quite well. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone ask for a handgun, holster, and box of carry ammo..and then turn down practice ammo this year I'd have...probably about enough to mail a letter. But it happens.

I was leaving the indoor range/gun shop today and heard a guy asking for "two matching 9mm pistols and a double shoulder holster because I've always thought that was cool." I suspect there's a lot more "because it's cool" guys than shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    7 rounds fired, total.
    That just boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Colt did a big survey on this some years ago. They determined the average handgun was fired 7 times in its lifetime.

For every hard training shooter like the ones on this forum, there are 100,000 people who buy a handgun, put it in the sock drawer and never touch it again.
    Wow. Extremely surprising. I shoot shotguns all the time, and never considered myself a handgun guy. However, next to these folks, I'm a salty expert. Used handguns are sounding like a good buy.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I mean, I practice or train with my rifle roughly monthly...but it's nearly always with the same AR. I've got a .30-06 that I've shot exactly one box of 20 cartridges through in 3 years. (I know, that's not handguns, but the point is the same).
    I'm guilty of this as well. Especially with my J frame... though, in my defense, that is a very rarely carried gun these days.

I own 47 handguns, I regularly shoot about 6 of them, I'm not helping the statistical average at all I guess, but those 6, yeah, they get shot.......a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Wow. Extremely surprising. I shoot shotguns all the time, and never considered myself a handgun guy. However, next to these folks, I'm a salty expert. Used handguns are sounding like a good buy.
    Not really that surprising. Duder buys a gun + a box of hollow points. Shoots one magazine/one cylinder for "practice" and calls it a day.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    The grip doesn't even get warmed up in 7 rounds!

Interesting idea, but not sure how a survey could be accurately carried out. You would need folks to tell a very private piece of data. Guns owned. It would also rely an accurate tracking of rounds fired. How many shooters do that? Heck, I have a NIB P30, a 45C that I put a whopping 25 rounds through the first year, and a v3 that has 75 rounds through it. However, others have >10K, and what about guns no longer owned, like a P30 with >80k? I think such a survey would be highly inaccurate.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Not really that surprising. Duder buys a gun + a box of hollow points. Shoots one magazine/one cylinder for "practice" and calls it a day.
    Hard to understand for me. I've had a few firearms in my day, and I was excited about shooting each one. I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd, but I can't imagine buying a new or used handgun and not having the desire to shoot it more than one magazine/cylinder. That would be akin to trying to eat just one potato chip. But, this goes a long way to explaining the evidence of errant shots into side-walls, target frames, and even ceilings at a few of the ranges to which I have been. The person shooting his one magazine/cylinder just can't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Interesting idea, but not sure how a survey could be accurately carried out. You would need folks to tell a very private piece of data. Guns owned. It would also rely an accurate tracking of rounds fired. How many shooters do that? Heck, I have a NIB P30, a 45C that I put a whopping 25 rounds through the first year, and a v3 that has 75 rounds through it. However, others have >10K, and what about guns no longer owned, like a P30 with >80k? I think such a survey would be highly inaccurate.

For context,I took a class where one of the students posed a question about their P30. She asked how often a gun needed to be fired in order to "still be useful". When the instructor asked for clarification on what she meant, her explaination was thus; after the class she was gonna put it in a drawer and was concerned some component of the pistol would degrade .

Colts survey may not have 100% accurate sampling, but it matches my own real world observations.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List