Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun Utilization Rates by Customers?

Handgun Utilization Rates by Customers?

Are there any professionally collected surveys or data logging the number of times a typical handgun owner will shoot their pistol over a given timespan?

Something to the effect of "Over a 1 year timespan, 10% of shooters went to the range 12 times a year, 40% 7 times, etc". Some solid data on how often people shoot would be useful to have.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 10-25-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Colt did a big survey on this some years ago. They determined the average handgun was fired 7 times in its lifetime.

For every hard training shooter like the ones on this forum, there are 100,000 people who buy a handgun, put it in the sock drawer and never touch it again.

Used guns are usually a good buy!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Colt did a big survey on this some years ago. They determined the average handgun was fired 7 times in its lifetime.

For every hard training shooter like the ones on this forum, there are 100,000 people who buy a handgun, put it in the sock drawer and never touch it again.
    Holy shit...I should buy more used guns.

Todd told us at my AFHF that when he was working at Sig, they tried to design a one-time use handgun; you'd buy the gun at the store, and it'd come loaded, without any means of adding more ammunition. They couldn't get it to the price they were targeting, so it didn't go anywhere, but yeah, apparently Sig had market research indicating that such a product would sell...

can you imagine the absolute shitstorm such a firearm would have created if they'd succeeded in bringing it to market? Sig might have gone down like Armatix.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Working at a LGS where we're one of the few that buy and trade, a majority (like 95%) of the handguns bought from an individual or traded in are either unfired or (maybe) have 50 rounds down range. Even with the department trade-in guns, most are obviously fired only at qualification time. The shooter's (in the department) handguns are very easy to identify due to wear, cleanliness and modifications. Those handguns are fairly rare...
    Last edited by Al T.; 10-26-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post

Is that 7 rounds or shot on 7 separate occasions?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Each time my Dept got new pistols I knew exactly which officers duty guns to buy!!! Detective guns were the good deal. only shot at quals, carried under sport coats , not rained on or bumped against door jams and such. I wish I could have afforded to buy more

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Is that 7 rounds or shot on 7 separate occasions?
    7 rounds fired, total.

User Tag List