Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Handgun Utilization Rates by Customers?

My most unused guns that I never touch ever have hundreds of rounds through them. I will admit I laughed and was not surprised at the "7 rounds" tidbit.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    One thing that I noticed at matches, was that we would have a crowd of 60 and perhaps 15 were new shooters (if you counted at the newbie instruction presentation before the match). But it was a new set most of the time. If the yield was a significant percent, then the attendance would skyrocket. So I wonder how many folks try a match and then don't continue? What is the reason for not continuing (beyond expense or time constraints). I know I don't shoot all the available discipline around here for those reasons. I took a 'gun' guy to a match and he 'loved' it but never went again. Other folks I ask out - say -well, I need to practice at the 'range' before. Never do either.

Yep, lots of folks are not members of groups but I guess I was pessimistic about competitors in organized venues.
    I guess I'm one of them. Enjoyed the shooting, but there was a good turnout and way too much time waiting. If I knew I could go, shoot the match, and be done in a couple of hours I'd be tempted to do more, but if it's going to take all day there are other things I'd rather do.

So I wonder how many folks try a match and then don't continue? What is the reason for not continuing (beyond expense or time constraints).
    I think a lot of people come to their first match under the mistaken impression that they are already good. Then they are overwhelmed by the skills shown by the experienced shooters and don't come back. I've been shooting competitions for 35 years. I've seen a few come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I think a lot of people come to their first match under the mistaken impression that they are already good. Then they are overwhelmed by the skills shown by the experienced shooters and don't come back. I've been shooting competitions for 35 years. I've seen a few come and go.
    Climbing the competition shooting ladder is an expensive proposition. Training and skill play a part, but like any other sport you have to pay to play.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    So true. This could've been me but I had the fortune to take a class with Manny Bragg before even knowing about USPSA. I just wanted to learn how to shoot better and he was reasonably close. It was his class that tuned up my interest in shooting matches but only because I saw what "good" is and was ready to learn more and practice what I'd been taught.

If I'd shown up at a match first, thinking I knew something, it might have been demoralizing. The gap between a C class shooter and people who throw a few mags down an indoor range on occasion is shockingly wide. A Master or GM class? Most people have never considered the possibility of skills at that level, much less that the local computer engineer or salesman has them.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Climbing the competition shooting ladder is an expensive proposition. Training and skill play a part, but like any other sport you have to pay to play.
    Ego is another big part of it. Some people are allergic to reality checks.

Site Supporter
    Well, if one has better things to do with one's time, there is no argument. For me, getting up at 7 AM, getting to the match at 9:00 ish and leaving about 2:00 is not a large time constraint. Standing around waiting to shoot. Not a problem, fun folks to talk to and learn things or tell them stuff. Get to see folks like HCM and Skyline plus my other friends. Casual shooters, some national champions, law enforcement folks, newbies, service people. Yeah, I could stay home and play with the lawn.

It's worth the time to keep the technical gun handling skills up. Doing other things doesn't do that.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, if one has better things to do with one's time, there is no argument. For me, getting up at 7 AM, getting to the match at 9:00 ish and leaving about 2:00 is not a large time constraint. Standing around waiting to shoot. Not a problem, fun folks to talk to and learn things or tell them stuff. Get to see folks like HCM and Skyline plus my other friends. Casual shooters, some national champions, law enforcement folks, newbies, service people. Yeah, I could stay home and play with the lawn.

It's worth the time to keep the technical gun handling skills up. Doing other things doesn't do that.
    For sure. I haven't shot a match in over a year and it kills me, but unfortunately due to my schedule, weekend AMs are very hard to sacrifice. They are a really good way to self-assess. I know lots of folks complaint that USPSA is for gamers, yada yada, but you won't do decently at a USPSA match unless you have good fundamentals. There's no way around it.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Colt did a big survey on this some years ago. They determined the average handgun was fired 7 times in its lifetime.

For every hard training shooter like the ones on this forum, there are 100,000 people who buy a handgun, put it in the sock drawer and never touch it again.
    My uncle bought a Beretta .380 during the Nixon administration.

A couple of years ago he called me up asking for advice on buying something for concealed carry and mentioned that he had the Beretta and that I should check it out when I next visited in a few days. I visited and saw his Beretta. And right beside it was the box of ammunition he bought with the gun. The few rounds missing from the box were the only rounds that had ever been fired from that pistol.

Most handguns in this country could just as well be set behind glass that says "Break in case of emergency"
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I guess I'm one of them. Enjoyed the shooting, but there was a good turnout and way too much time waiting. If I knew I could go, shoot the match, and be done in a couple of hours I'd be tempted to do more, but if it's going to take all day there are other things I'd rather do.
    This was it for me. Because of child care and other adult responsibilities, I was always leaving matches early. I participated in 11 matches in 2 years before completing my first one.

User Tag List