Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books

Site Supporter
    Chick Gaylord was a holster maker in NYC who made undercover holsters & rigs for many of the top NYC Detectives & in-the-know officers in the 50's early 60's. He wrote a very interesting book which dealt mostly with combat handgun shooting & practical combat holsters & gun fighting from that time period. i believe you will enjoy it.

Site Supporter
    It would help if I gave you the title it's "Handgunner's Guide".

Site Supporter
    Here's another I just thought of "Combat shooting for Police" by Paul B Weston published in 1960. If I remember correctly Mr. Weston taught courses for Calf. Hwy Patrol & had been a high ranking official with NYPD. The tactics used back then were thought provoking to say the least. Both this & Chic Gaylord's book deal heavily with combat revolver shooting which most folks from this time period used.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thank you from the edge of the Brule!

I will look for those. Thats the stuff!!!

Site Supporter
    AbeBooks.com has both.

It's rare I have anything to contribute to this forum, but:

"Shooting"
    J. Henry FitzGerald
    This is the same "FitzGerald" responsible for the Colt "Fitz Specials".

"Pistol and Revolver Shooting"
    A. L. A. Himmelwright
    This one is interesting because it discusses the merits of the semi automatic pistol over the revolver and predicts the obsolescence of the latter. The book was first published in 1904. The version available on Amazon Kindle is a later edition and includes details of the US Army's original testing of the Colt 1911. It also has a section detailing a recommended revolver practice course for police.

I have been reading three books on hunting optics. I can not really separate the books
    in my head, since the authors are all friends and often quote each other and tell each others stories.
    So all the books kind of meld together in my head but they do give me the background I was looking
    for. The books give a nice overview about hunting scopes, binoculars, and spotting scopes,
    how to use them in the field and how to judge them in the store. I got this list while
    looking for books on hunting optics on Amazon. Someone in the comment section
    recommended these three as the best

The Field and Stream Hunting optics Handbook
    Tomas McIntyre 2008

Optics for the Hunter
    John Barsness 1999

Optics Digest
    Clair Rees 2005

Site Supporter
    Robicheaux by Jame Lee Burke. I love his writing and this series about a seriously flawed but good at heart, Louisiana LEO. Burke has an elegant turn of the phrase. One problem for the series is that Dave is getting pretty old for these shenanigans. Viet Nam vet dates him. Sort of like the problem of Parker's Spenser - the books kept on making him one of the toughest guys around and he is a Korean War vet.

A bunch of us 60 and 70 years old were shooting yesterday. While we shoot pretty well - I wouldn't count on us in a foot chase or boxing match that lasted very long.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Books

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    One problem for the series is that Dave is getting pretty old for these shenanigans. Viet Nam vet dates him. Sort of like the problem of Parker's Spenser - the books kept on making him one of the toughest guys around and he is a Korean War vet.
    That’s the same issue I had with the last few Mike Hammer novels. Hammerhead been an NYPD Sergeant before the war, back when making rank in the department was a very slow process because of the Depression. (IIRC, there was a period of time during the Depression that you had to have a law degree to get on the NYPD.).

So Hammer left the NYPD, went into the Marines, got out, became a private detective, and spent the next 50 years fighting it out with the bad guys?

Nah.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 03-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That’s the same issue I had with the last few Mike Hammer novels. Hammerhead been an NYPD Sergeant before the war, back when making rank in the department was a very slow process because of the Depression. (IIRC, there was a period of time during the Depression that you had to have a law degree to get on the NYPD.).

So Hammer left the NYPD, went into the Marines, got out, became a private detective, and spent the next 50 years fighting it out with the bad guys?

Nah.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    Well, what about the guys from Ed McBain's 87th Pct novels? I think a couple of 'em had to be about 110 years old when I finally stopped reading the series.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List