Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Books

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No TV version of Spenser made sense. Spenser was a heavy lifter and the guys who played him certainly were not. Joe Mantegna played him and he is no heavy lifter.
    Since when does it have to make sense? I offer as Exhibit A, Tom Cruise in the role of Jack Reacher. That would be like asking Peter Dinklage to play the role of Larry Bird in a movie about the Boston Celtics.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

To my mind, Lee Marvin was the best actor to play Donald Westlake's "Parker" (although his character was named "Walker") in John Boorman's 1967 film "Point Blank." As much as I like Jason Statham, he just didn't convey remorselessness in 2013's "Parker" the way Marvin did in "Point Blank." That, and watching Marvin fire that 4" S&W 44 Magnum fast double-action into the mattress--both full speed and in 60's psychedelic slow-motion--is one of the best demonstrations of full-recoil DA shooting I've seen in a feature movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Since when does it have to make sense? I offer as Exhibit A, Tom Cruise in the role of Jack Reacher. That would be like asking Peter Dinklage to play the role of Larry Bird in a movie about the Boston Celtics.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    Indeed. Which Reacher novel was it where he was talking about being a huge MP who could slam SF endurance athlete body type guys? (It was the one where he used an Ithatca Roadblocker a fair bit.) Not so very Tom Cruise.
    Last edited by TDA; 03-31-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Indeed. Which Reacher novel was it where he was talking about being a huge MP who could slam SF endurance athlete body type guys? (It was the one where he used an Ithatca Roadblocker a fair bit.) Not so very Tom Cruise.
    It's been awhile since I read one (they seem to become as fungible as L'amour westerns), but I recall Reacher being described as about 6'5" or taller, 250+lbs, with a 50" chest and borderline ugly. Tom Cruise resembles Jack Reacher about as much as I resemble Taylor Swift.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I urge everyone to read Spillane's first Mike Hammer book which was "I, The Jury" published in 1947. Mike had a souped up car and carried a 1911 .45 in condition 2. He killed without compunction. Charles Askins, Jr. was a notorious Border Patrol agent before WW2 and entered the Army when the war started and served overseas. He in the 1930's won the National Pistol Shooting Championship. He killed numerous people during his career. His books are interesting. MAS who sometimes posts here has written about Col. Askins and can discuss the subject at length.

Site Supporter
    I recall Reacher saying that he was a H2H god as he had to take down drunken or nutty Special Forces and that's why the MPs were so tough - like him. I got a touch bored with that. I also thought he buying of new clothes every few days was indicating he was a touch strange. The rationale did not appeal to my psychological side as compared to some ODC implications.

Reading a "western" called "The Which Way Tree" by Elizabeth Crook which is sort of in the mold of "True Grit" to some degree in both its tone and storytelling.

Only part way in but it's a nice change of pace. You'll enjoy the way young Benjamin Shreve expresses himself as he narrates this poignant tale from post Civil War Texas back in 1866.
    Last edited by blues; 04-01-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List