Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some long gun opinions

Of the choices you listed initially, I'd go 300 Blackout in both bolt and AR. That gives you a lot of flexibility that you won't have with 5.56. If I weren't so heavily invested in 5.56, I'd go 300BLK.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Already threaded and ready to go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/594251131
    May I be so bold as to suggest this one?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/aac-model...picatinny.html

Same price, and also offers a scope base and a cheek piece which would be easier to retro fit a pad. I'm definitely going to follow up on the suggestion by Mr Sharp, regarding cheek pad vibrations and deafness.

Robinson, I am basically in the same boat as you. Pretty much deaf in my left ear, and can't hear well out of the right one. I always wear Surefire plugs and Sordin muffs everywhere I shoot. I also keep a dedicated set of Sordins next to the bed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    May I be so bold as to suggest this one?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/aac-model...picatinny.html

Same price, and also offers a scope base and a cheek piece which would be easier to retro fit a pad. I'm definitely going to follow up on the suggestion by Mr Sharp, regarding cheek pad vibrations and deafness.

Robinson, I am basically in the same boat as you. Pretty much deaf in my left ear, and can't hear well out of the right one. I always wear Surefire plugs and Sordin muffs everywhere I shoot. I also keep a dedicated set of Sordins next to the bed.
    I'm sorry to hear about your hearing problems -- I know it affects pretty much every aspect of life.

I have looked into the Micro 7 that you posted a link to. The thing that turned me away is I read several accounts of feeding problems with the guns and I don't know if Remington ever ironed out the issues. It would certainly be lighter to carry than the 700 SPS Tactical.

Interesting - thanks for the feeding issues info on the Model 7. I do have a friend that carries one of the older Kevlar-stocked Model 7's in 7mm-08, with a Nightforce fixed power scope. it is his primary deer rifle, and works magic.

Of course, that was made during the pre-Cerebus era at Remington.

My bedside gun is either a 12.5" 870 SBS, or a 8.5" 300 BLK with a Rugged suppressor. Every now and then I have the truly deranged idea of buying a Silencerco Salvo for the SBS.

Site Supporter
    Okay so today the LGS had both a Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK and a Remington AAC Micro 7 300 BLK, so I did some comparisons side by side.

They are both fairly lightweight, handy rifles. The stock on the Remington seems much more solid than the Ruger, which seems somewhat cheap to me (hence the price point). The detachable box magazine in the Ruger also seems like a cheaply made part -- but it holds 5 rounds which is a plus. The internal magazine on the Remington has a hinged floorplate and holds 4 rounds. I believe aftermarket bottom metal is available for this gun.

Both guns have rail-type optics bases attached. I think the Ruger is a Weaver type, not sure about the Remington. I'm not sure how easy it will be to top-load rounds into the Remington with the one piece base -- if I go in to examine the rifles again I may take some dummy rounds to try out.

Although quite subjective, the Remington feels more substantial and like a better made gun -- but of course the way it feels is just a small part of the story. The Remington also costs more than the Ruger by a fair margin.
    Last edited by Robinson; 10-29-2016 at 01:29 PM.

I would make a guess and say that a one piece base over the loading/ejection port could be clearanced some without causing problems. Would be worthwhile to have your optic chosen and fitted first of course to avoid embarrassment.

In your case, go .300 BLK in bolt and AR15.

Learn to reload.

Keep in mind that ANY gun is better than no gun in a defensive situation. If you need to go .300 BLK subsonic for health reasons and are wiling to make trade-off in terminal performance for sound reduction, then go for it--just beware of what you are doing...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

You can very easily replace the one piece base with a two piece base, if that's what you prefer.

Site Supporter
    Have you considered a large bore single shot 45 with a suppressor? I know it's a little off the wall, but a 405 grain bullet going subsonic might still pack a wallop. The trajectory would look like a major league fastball, but if your shots are fairly close it may be less important.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Have you considered a large bore single shot 45 with a suppressor? I know it's a little off the wall, but a 405 grain bullet going subsonic might still pack a wallop. The trajectory would look like a major league fastball, but if your shots are fairly close it may be less important.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    If I were to go with .45-70 I guess I would pick a levergun. Having a repeater seems like a good idea -- unless I am missing your point? Hunting is not my primary concern -- I've gotten away from that in recent years.

User Tag List