Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some long gun opinions

There was a study done that some might know about, our snipers were talking about it but it's been years since I heard the conversation... Essentially the hearing loss issue in long range work is also from vibrations through the cheek via the stock. I'm supposed to call Kbar later today, if anyone would know where to find that study that man will.

Just texted a friend. His answer is to put a pad of some sort on the stock where you make your cheek weld. The issue is vibrations transferred through the stock, through your jawbone. If you already have tinnitus this will help, if you don't have it and you do a lot of long range work you will want to start using some sort of shock absorber between your face and the stock asap. The study was done sometime in the early 2000's and not sure where to find copies without plowing through a literal ton of files at the VA.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 10-25-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: additional info
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Site Supporter
    Makes me wonder something else. So far I've only shot supersonic rounds in my AR. Functioning has been 100%. I'm aware that some pretty knowledgeable folks advise against the use of subsonic 300 BLK for defensive use. But looking at those LeHigh Defense bullets makes me wonder if they would be a decent option for defensive use. I mean, if they are touted as an ethical deer killer...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    There was a study done that some might know about, our snipers were talking about it but it's been years since I heard the conversation... Essentially the hearing loss issue in long range work is also from vibrations through the cheek via the stock. I'm supposed to call Kbar later today, if anyone would know where to find that study that man will.

Just texted a friend. His answer is to put a pad of some sort on the stock where you make your cheek weld. The issue is vibrations transferred through the stock, through your jawbone. If you already have tinnitus this will help, if you don't have it and you do a lot of long range work you will want to start using some sort of shock absorber between your face and the stock asap. The study was done sometime in the early 2000's and not sure where to find copies without plowing through a literal ton of files at the VA.
    Interesting -- thanks for adding that info.

All the things I've done throughout my life that I didn't think were going to cause permanent hearing damage have ended up causing me quite a problem. Now I am paying for my earlier ignorance.

I'm constantly looking to simplify my life, so I understand your caliber concern. As someone who's fired a lot of 5.56 indoors, inside vehicles/etc, sometimes without perfect seal on hearing protection, it's loud. Not Mk17 short barrel inside a house loud, but loud. If I were in your shoes, I'd dump the 30-30 for the 300B bolt gun, and get the latter threaded so you could use the suppressor on either.

Others may disagree, but I'll always take redundant weapons that use the same caliber and mags over variety. Call me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm constantly looking to simplify my life, so I understand your caliber concern. As someone who's fired a lot of 5.56 indoors, inside vehicles/etc, sometimes without perfect seal on hearing protection, it's loud. Not Mk17 short barrel inside a house loud, but loud. If I were in your shoes, I'd dump the 30-30 for the 300B bolt gun, and get the latter threaded so you could use the suppressor on either.
    Already threaded and ready to go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/594251131
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Already threaded and ready to go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/594251131
    Yes -- that gun is one of the options I've been considering actually. I've also been reading up on the Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 BLK and I think each one has pros and cons (duh).

The Ruger is lighter and would be handier and easier to carry. Comes with a Weaver-style rail already mounted. Reports show good accuracy potential. However, the magazines seem cheap.

The Remington has an internal magazine that holds either 4 or 5 rounds -- I've seen it listed both ways. With its "tactical" barrel profile it's definitely heavier and I wonder how it would be to carry and shoot from typical field positions. I would not mount a bipod and use it in any type of tactical role obviously. But at 6.5 - 7 lbs (again I've seen it listed both ways) it's not that bad. My 16" AR is a bit muzzle-heavy with a suppressor mounted so I'm sort of used to it.

The Remington speaks to me more so than the Ruger, but what do you think about using that heavy barrel profile on a general-purpose suppressed rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    His answer is to put a pad of some sort on the stock where you make your cheek weld. The issue is vibrations transferred through the stock, through your jawbone.
    What's the thinking on the Tikka CTR's raised cheek pad. Is that hard polymer like the stock, or foam that might absorb vibration?

I'd like to hear more about the vibration issue. Bone conduction (rather than vibration from contact) has always been an issue, said to be greater than direct sound. It's why it's good that muffs cover the little sensitive bone in front of the ear...though I'm told that conduction occurs through your entire skull, just to a greater or lesser extent. I always double up, just to be on the safer side.

Is there an MD in the house who specializes in any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What's the thinking on the Tikka CTR's raised cheek pad. Is that hard polymer like the stock, or foam that might absorb vibration?
    Mine is hard polymer and not real comfortable.

The new T3x models all have foam inside the stock to reduce noise from banging into things, but should help with the noise absorption, too.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List