Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some long gun opinions

Site Supporter

Need some long gun opinions

A recent range trip has convinced me that I can no longer shoot non-suppressed long guns without causing further hearing damage and making my tinnitus worse. I shot about 10 rounds through a 24" barrel .30-30 outdoors with earpro rated at 33db NRR. It caused no discomfort while shooting but afterward my tinnitus was noticeably increased and I feel my hearing may have suffered a bit. I also shot my suppressed 300 BLK AR and it never causes me a problem. Even when not suppressed it is quieter than the .30-30.

My left ear is so bad now that I can't afford any more damage or I will be pretty much completely deaf in that ear. Sometimes I am tempted to stop shooting altogether, but I think I can continue if I always shoot suppressed. I want to have another long gun besides the AR, so I would like some opinions on the following options:

1) Chop the barrel on my .30-30 and have it threaded for a suppressor (not leaning this way at the moment).

2) Sell the .30-30 and buy a threaded bolt gun chambered for 300 BLK for ammo commonality with the AR. Possibly a Ruger American Ranch Rifle.

3) Re-barrel my AR in 5.56 and get a .223 bolt gun for ammo commonality. My suppressor would still work with this setup.

4) Keep my AR as is and get a .223 bolt gun anyway, and live with two rifle cartridges. Suppressor would work for both (with proper attachment).

5) Some folks might be thinking "get a .308" at this point -- not sure I want to go there. I've gotten away from big game hunting and .308 is loud. Even suppressed it might cause further hearing damage. Or I might be paranoid due to experience. Not sure.

The new Henry Long Ranger discussed in another thread is interesting and might make a nice suppressor host with a shortened and threaded barrel. But it would mean another cartridge (probably .223) and would probably ruin the resale value. I do like how lever guns handle and shoot though -- more so than bolt guns since I have more experience with levers.

The 300 BLK bolt gun does have some appeal even though I am not a bolt gun guy -- suppressed Blackout is pretty easy on the ears compared to other cartridges.

It sucks that I am at this point, but that's the way it is. I'd like some opinions on the above, or suggestions for things I'm not thinking of.

Are you not doubling up on ear pro? I do think the .300Blk makes the 30-30 redundant.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I agree with doubling up on the ear protection. The disposable foam plugs are the best plugs I have seen. Combine them with electronic muffs and you will have excellent protection while still being able to carry on a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Are you not doubling up on ear pro? I do think the .300Blk makes the 30-30 redundant.
    I always double up indoors or under an overhang. Back when I was shooting .30-30 leverguns all the time I did not double up outdoors. Let me clarify: it's not just practice at the range that I'm thinking about. For a rifle to be practical you need to be able to shoot it with practical hearing protection -- which means electronic earpro and probably not doubled up. For me I think that limits my choices to long guns I can suppress, and that's where I was going with my OP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I agree with doubling up on the ear protection. The disposable foam plugs are the best plugs I have seen. Combine them with electronic muffs and you will have excellent protection while still being able to carry on a conversation.
    I agree 100% for range use.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I always double up indoors or under an overhang. Back when I was shooting .30-30 leverguns all the time I did not double up outdoors. Let me clarify: it's not just practice at the range that I'm thinking about. For a rifle to be practical you need to be able to shoot it with practical hearing protection -- which means electronic earpro and probably not doubled up. For me I think that limits my choices to long guns I can suppress, and that's where I was going with my OP.
    Ah, makes sense. You are probably in a good spot geographically for short range, quieter rounds. I'd lose the 30-30 and get the .300Blk bolt gun. If you hunt at all still, check out the subsonic but expanding LeHigh Defense and Outlaw State .300Blk bullets. You can always pick up a 5.56 barrel for the AR and toss it in the safe or a 5.56 upper (depends on budget). I think that if your tinnitus is bothering you that much, you should consider skipping .223/5.56 and just set yourself up to reload .300Blk as it's quite expensive to shoot commercial .300Blk rounds.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ah, makes sense. You are probably in a good spot geographically for short range, quieter rounds. I'd lose the 30-30 and get the .300Blk bolt gun. If you hunt at all still, check out the subsonic but expanding LeHigh Defense and Outlaw State .300Blk bullets. You can always pick up a 5.56 barrel for the AR and toss it in the safe or a 5.56 upper (depends on budget). I think that if your tinnitus is bothering you that much, you should consider skipping .223/5.56 and just set yourself up to reload .300Blk as it's quite expensive to shoot commercial .300Blk rounds.
    Thanks for that feedback. I assume from your last comment you consider .223/5.56 noisier than 300 BLK to a meaningful degree? That is my suspicion but I haven't done any real analysis on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Thanks for that feedback. I assume from your last comment you consider .223/5.56 noisier than 300 BLK to a meaningful degree? That is my suspicion but I haven't done any real analysis on it.
    Oh yeah, noisier and suppresses worse in my opinion. Two very different rounds.
    #RESIST

Last Saturday I was at a range with an overhang. My friend was shooting a 16" .300 Blackout next to me. In the next lane over, the shooter had a 16" .223/5.56. He was next to a wall. I was doubled up with muffs and plugs.

There was no comparison between the two. The .223/5.56 was far worse in terms of noise and concussion IMO. It was unpleasant. The .300 was "softer", less concussion, less "sharp." That's the best way I can describe it. I had a hard time telling the difference between my friend's shots and rifle shots from shooters 10 yards away. I was flinching when the .223 went off.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Last Saturday I was at a range with an overhang. My friend was shooting a 16" .300 Blackout next to me. In the next lane over, the shooter had a 16" .223/5.56. He was next to a wall. I was doubled up with muffs and plugs.

There was no comparison between the two. The .223/5.56 was far worse in terms of noise and concussion IMO. It was unpleasant. The .300 was "softer", less concussion, less "sharp." That's the best way I can describe it. I had a hard time telling the difference between my friend's shots and rifle shots from shooters 10 yards away. I was flinching when the .223 went off.
    Yup.
    #RESIST

User Tag List