Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington released a polymer pistol today

If you want to be in the autopistol business these days, you need a 1911 copy, a "Glock fighter", and a pocket pistol. Many companies specialize but Ruger and now Remington are trying to cover the whole spectrum.
    Reliability and style will determine whether you are competitive. Remington is late to the game. Their 1911oid seems ok and the only Rorhbaugh-ish I know of is shooting well, but the egregious R51 has really hurt their reputation and the RP is getting no favorable comments even though not yet shot.

It kind of looks like someone put a Glock, S&W and a HK VP in a Frankenstein lab and out came the Remington.

Coming to an Uncle Mike's holster near you.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

While I certainly don't like the looks of this pistol, I, and many others here, remember when the Glock was panned for its looks.

Remington's recent history of QC problems don't make me terribly hopeful but I do still hope that they have a good design that actually works simply because competition in this, or any other industry is a good thing, and rehabilitating Remington's good name would also be a good thing.

Let's hope this will be a good gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    While I certainly don't like the looks of this pistol, I, and many others here, remember when the Glock was panned for its looks.

Remington's recent history of QC problems don't make me terribly hopeful but I do still hope that they have a good design that actually works simply because competition in this, or any other industry is a good thing, and rehabilitating Remington's good name would also be a good thing.

Let's hope this will be a good gun.
    Except Remington doesn't have a profit motive to make a "good gun". I'm a rank amateur compared to the legit pros here, yet my fellow RSOs look at me like I'm a six armed Hindu god for shooting a DA/SA pistol at 25 yards.
    The lowest common denominator is where Remington is playing at, and in that market a 10% failure rate is hand waved as "bad ammo" or "break in period" . Assuming they even shoot the thing to begin with.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Vending Machine Operator
    Gonna carry one of these with one of the new R51s as a backup and wander through bad neighborhoods. I'm suicidal but I don't have the courage to end it myself.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Except Remington doesn't have a profit motive to make a "good gun". I'm a rank amateur compared to the legit pros here, yet my fellow RSOs look at me like I'm a six armed Hindu god for shooting a DA/SA pistol at 25 yards.
    The lowest common denominator is where Remington is playing at, and in that market a 10% failure rate is hand waved as "bad ammo" or "break in period" . Assuming they even shoot the thing to begin with.
    If Remington follows the "Kimber" business model, sure. That's why I was talking about hope.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Gonna carry one of these with one of the new R51s as a backup and wander through bad neighborhoods. I'm suicidal but I don't have the courage to end it myself.
    Is your last name Riggs? ;-)

I absolutely will never buy another Remington after I bought an R51. Wow, what a piece of dog shit. Im sure this is also a POS.

I don't see this going anywhere. It's going to be just like the Ruger SR series. Yeah they are on the market, and yeah a few people carry them. But they aren't making a dent in anyone's sales, no serious instructors use one, they aren't in any PD holsters, and aren't wildly popular for concealed carry. They are just another pistol on the market. Not necessarily bad guns but certainly not great ones.

-Cory

User Tag List