Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD officer fatally shoots two people just 12 days apart

LAPD officer fatally shoots two people just 12 days apart

LAPD spokesman Josh Rubenstein said police officer Eden Medina returned to the field six days after the first shooting. The officer was cleared by a department psychologist and the police chief, he said. Twelve days later, the Hollenbeck Division gang officer fired his gun again. The shootings offer a window into how the LAPD treats officers who fire their guns. While shootings by police have received much attention, they remain relatively rare events. Most law enforcement officers spend their entire careers without firing their guns in the line of duty. How departments treat officers who do, however, varies from agency to agency. LAPD officers typically return to the field one to two weeks after a shooting and can do so even before they complete a training refresher course that usually lasts between 30 minutes and an hour, according to a recent report by the Police Commission’s inspector general. Police officers in Washington, D.C., and Dallas typically don’t return to their full duties for almost a month after a shooting, according to the inspector general’s report. Officers in Las Vegas spend as long as two or three months out of the field. Dallas and Las Vegas also send officers to a full day of individualized training before they’re back on the job.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

Read the article. Both appeared to be armed and a threat of death or serious bodily injury to any reasonable officer. I'm not sure what the issue would be. The shortest time between events for an officer I've seen locally was 5 weeks.

Buy this officer a beer, provide an attaboy and let that officer go right back into the field. Whatever is being done is being done right.

This type of thing happens, not often but it does.

We get desked for a few days. Have to see the shrink then go requal with duty gun and off duty gun then talk to a lawyer/fop. Once that's done, even ifbwe aren't cleared we go back on the street. Usually less than a week. Two guys I worked with had shooting two months apart. When IA started coming down NB hard on them they were like...they were good shoots so, it doesn't matter if it's one, two or fifty. A good shoot is a good shoot.

I had a IA suit tell me about the statistics of OIS percentages rise with officers who are involved in shoots, and they go up as they get into more OIS. My response was, yeah so? If the guy needs to be shot and it's righteous, isn't that the job description?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Violence directed against anyone - cop or not - does not have a statistically prescribed interval. If bad guys do things that require a lethal force response, the calender does not provide a time out or a magic talisman. Adding days off or admin days after a shoot is not going to decrease the chance of a future engagement, it just changes the date on the paperwork and the names. Bad things happening still need to be stopped, and sometimes that means through the mechanisms of last resort.

I recall two of Scott Reitz gunfights were in rather close succession as well in that same AOR.

I also recall that crime analysis / LE intel datasets tend to show that certain patterns of offender behaviors do occur in temporal clusters. Certain siutations result from some folks getting the same criminal notions in the same neck of the woods at around the same time. Peeling the layers back it comes down to human choices of place, activity, emotion, weather, and all the other variables involved. Drop any individual into similar situations and there are only so many chances that it can be resolved without an OIS, or worse an officer down call.

This is why those lost in the line of duty seem to fall in clusters as well.
    Last edited by abu fitna; 10-24-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    LAPD spokesman Josh Rubenstein said police officer Eden Medina returned to the field six days after the first shooting. The officer was cleared by a department psychologist and the police chief, he said. Twelve days later, the Hollenbeck Division gang officer fired his gun again. The shootings offer a window into how the LAPD treats officers who fire their guns. While shootings by police have received much attention, they remain relatively rare events. Most law enforcement officers spend their entire careers without firing their guns in the line of duty. How departments treat officers who do, however, varies from agency to agency. LAPD officers typically return to the field one to two weeks after a shooting and can do so even before they complete a training refresher course that usually lasts between 30 minutes and an hour, according to a recent report by the Police Commission’s inspector general. Police officers in Washington, D.C., and Dallas typically don’t return to their full duties for almost a month after a shooting, according to the inspector general’s report. Officers in Las Vegas spend as long as two or three months out of the field. Dallas and Las Vegas also send officers to a full day of individualized training before they’re back on the job.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    What's your point?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post

This is why those lost in the line of duty seem to fall in clusters as well.
    Our internal stats show that whenever an officer is shot or there is a close call OIS that there is an uptick in OIS. About six years ago we had an officer shot but not killed and the next two weeks in that particular area showed more than a dozen OIS, all cleared.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

That's one unlucky bastard.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I'd say the turds that brought the problem to him were the unlucky bastards!!😉

Umm, I'm not a LEO, but he works in the gang division so a reprisal could be likely if he was cleared of a previous shooting. Amiright? If so, then we need an internal system reboot, because people just have no sense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 10-24-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Our internal stats show that whenever an officer is shot or there is a close call OIS that there is an uptick in OIS. About six years ago we had an officer shot but not killed and the next two weeks in that particular area showed more than a dozen OIS, all cleared.
    Is that because the officers were more vigilant or the turds were thought it was open season on the cops? Or a combo of both?

User Tag List