Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida man sues after police arrest him, mistaking his doughnut glaze for meth

Florida man sues after police arrest him, mistaking his doughnut glaze for meth

ORLANDO, Fla. - A man who was arrested after police mistook Krispy Kreme doughnut glaze for crystal methamphetamine is suing the city and the drug-testing kit manufacturer. Daniel Rushing alleges negligence by the city of Orlando and Safariland Group, which produces the drug kits. He's seeking damages of more than $15,000.
    http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...92/1036/news21

The original thread:
    Arrested for meth, the crumbs in his car were Krispy Kreme
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Krispy-Kreme/

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    great now all the dindus are gonna be claiming donuts.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Here we go...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-24-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    great now all the dindus are gonna be claiming donuts.
    Das raciss
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Never pass up a chance to sue a city and a company.
    Last edited by Hambo; 10-24-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Well, it is a crime to let donut glazing go to waste. I've been known to lick the steering wheel after eating donuts in the car.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Well, it is a crime to let donut glazing go to waste. I've been known to lick the steering wheel after eating donuts in the car.
    That is true dedication!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I've been reading "Texas Ranger" by John Boessenecker. It's a biography of Frank Hamer, the famous Texas Ranger. Hamer was arrested and convicted of minor crimes a couple of times while on duty. His convictions didn't seem to affect his career at all. But that was then, and now is now.

Currently, an arrest becomes part of your permanent record. It is the first step on the road to conviction, and is accessible forever after through public data reports to prospective employers and clients. An arrest may, and a conviction certainly will have a lifetime negative effect (to one degree or another) on future earning power.

Thus, I support holding the Forces of Fancy Dress to a compensatory standard. If the State through its agents inappropriately damages or potentially damages a person's earning potential, I believe that should be an actionable event. In a world where nearly everything you or I do is recorded in some manner, even extending to web searches, there must be some accountability required by the state.

Clearly, mileage may differ.

Vending Machine Operator
    I actually support the suit to some extent.

I don't think the officer did anything wrong - he relied on his supplied equipment, and who hasn't heard a stupid excuse from a meth head?

But a manufacturer distributing - and a police department issuing - field test kits that return a presumptive positive for amphetamines with freaking donut glaze is scary. I rely on those tests in court, as do my judges, for probable cause findings on probation revocations and the like. Further, as Duces Tecum has pointed out, I can pull arrest records going back to the 1950s-1960s via NCIC III, regardless of whether there's a conviction, and they can be used in determining a plea offer. "No deferral for your guy, he had a meth charge back a few years ago. No conviction, but this clearly isn't his first rodeo."

Scary stuff that needs fixed.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List